650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Stock Bikes > > Original Equipment Restoration Projects > > Winter Tear Down/Rebuild. ready. set. GO.

Winter Tear Down/Rebuild. ready. set. GO.
    Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects
chef.tay

PostPosted: November 29, 2009, 7:26 pm    Post subject: Winter Tear Down/Rebuild. ready. set. GO.

Hello Everyone!

I'm going to start tearing down my '71 XS1B in two days from now and this post is the start of my project over the winter.

I plan on taking the engine out of the frame so I can perform a thorough clean of all the fins and then do the same to the carburetors. Once the engine is removed and all cleaned I will prepare to get my tank and side covers professionally re-painted in the same color scheme that they currently have and then I'll proceed to POR 15 my frame.

I'm sure there will be a few other thing that happen but they are unclear as of now.

Please offer me any advice that you have and feel free to give me any opinions.

The only picture that I have so far is of the mustache that currently adorns my lip but more pictures of my progress will come after this tuesday.

Take Care.

Chef.tay
Photo Gallery
chef.tay

PostPosted: December 2, 2009, 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Tear Down/Rebuild. ready. set. GO.

Day 1:

Photo Gallery
harleysmakegooddonorparts

PostPosted: December 2, 2009, 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Tear Down/Rebuild. ready. set. GO.

that thing looked pretty nice all put together. nice ride.
chef.tay

PostPosted: December 2, 2009, 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Tear Down/Rebuild. ready. set. GO.

dusty but nice.

Thanks for the complement
Photo Gallery
Rick_in_PDX

PostPosted: December 3, 2009, 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Winter Tear Down/Rebuild. ready. set. GO.

Love the paint on the old yammers, and that gold has always been a top fav color scheme of mine
Some people will say that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this,,,,, Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube,That is why God made fast motorcycles—Hunter S
gggGary

PostPosted: December 4, 2009, 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Tear Down/Rebuild. ready. set. GO.

Yeah nice bike didn't even look like it needed to come apart. That paint is a keeper for sure. Had that exact bike in about 1975. Drove it from Wisconsin to Florida and back in March. Brrr.
Oh I am confused por15 on the frame?
chef.tay

PostPosted: December 5, 2009, 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Winter Tear Down/Rebuild. ready. set. GO.

Wow that's awesome!

I've heard of people por 15'ing some chassis because it's so strong and rust resistant. you sayin otherwise?
Photo Gallery
gordonscott

PostPosted: December 5, 2009, 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Winter Tear Down/Rebuild. ready. set. GO.

gggGary wrote:

Oh I am confused por15 on the frame?
www.por15.com/ it is a paint that you "paint over rust" hence "por" it does not stick well to clean smoth surfaces. You would need to prep frame correctly for it to stick. www.eastwood.com/ has a great selection of chassis paint, search.eastwood.com/se...5QodKWtbpw also "Emron" from Dupont, it is tough paint but beware hard for beginner to spray and as toxic as it gets but bullitproof Wink

chef.tay

PostPosted: December 5, 2009, 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Tear Down/Rebuild. ready. set. GO.

hmm i'm glad you said that before I bought the por15.

I like the sound of the imron from dupont but I didn't see anywhere you can buy it but the extreme chassis paint looks pretty decent too.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1