650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > After Market Products > > Pamco - Electronic Ignitions > > Electronic Ignition

Electronic Ignition
    Forum Index -> Pamco - Electronic Ignitions
evilaaron

PostPosted: December 2, 2009, 11:54 am    Post subject: Electronic Ignition

Guys, I am still very confused about this ignition thing. I have a big hole in the realm of ignition systems. I have a 1982 XS650. It has a button for an electronic start but the previous owner must have disconnected it somehow. I would like to re-add an electronic starter. How hard is that?

Secondly, I still don't understand what an electronic ignition system does. When I open those circular panels (cam panels) on my engine there is nothing there (no electronic ignition system). Was that removed or was that never there? What exactly will an electronic ignition system do for me. I am assuming my bike has the TCI and not points.
Joseph

PostPosted: December 2, 2009, 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition

82 is tci The tci is crank timed by a triger on the rottor, nothing on the cam for ignition. The triger sets off a stationary pick up on the altinator. Why are you thinking the po removed the electric start. Is the starter in the bike, may be just rusted conections or a fuse or any other of posibilitys.
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: December 2, 2009, 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition

If you have spark. I wouldnt do anything except mayby a new coil. tci is a good ignition system.
evilaaron

PostPosted: December 3, 2009, 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition

I did put a new coil on a few weeks ago. It looked like only one side of the dual coil was sparking. I replaced the coil, plugs, wires, etc. It is sparking on both sides. I wanted to get the electric start button working. Until I get my carb (single carb) working correctly I am having to kick the heck out of the bike to get it started. Therefore I wanted to get the electric start button working so I'm not killing myself. I'll trace the electric start cable and see what the problem is.

thanks for the help on the ignition!
Joseph

PostPosted: December 3, 2009, 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition

Quote::
tci is a good ignition system
I agree, I have an 80 with about 11k miles and have had no trouble with the charging or tci. A good battery works wonders for the tci, on these bikes in general.

Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Pamco - Electronic Ignitions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1