650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > fubar'ed something??? bike stuck in first HELP!!!

fubar'ed something??? bike stuck in first HELP!!!
    Forum Index -> Drive
urbandork

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 1:43 pm    Post subject: fubar'ed something??? bike stuck in first HELP!!!

Ive had an oil leak which probably was the seal from the clutch push rod or the seal for the drive sprocket. But i wasnt sure since under the cover was a total mess... so i took off the cover and cleaned everything up so that way later ill have a better image of what is actually leaking

this is what i took off

left hand cover
drive sprocket
chain rest
retaining clip and washer for the shifter rod (right next to the seal)

After putting everything back on the bike still starts up on the stand but it will not shift into neutral.

The clutch works fine because after i get the bike started in first i can hold the clutch in and hold the rear brake and the bike does not stall out or slow idle.

WTF happened im a little worried that some how by taking off the retaining clip that was on the shift rod i fubar'ed something up in the trans and thats why its not shifting at all

up to this point ive had no probs with the trans or shifting

WHAAT HAPPENED ??
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: fubar'ed something??? bike stuck in first HELP!!!

urbandork wrote:
WTF happened im a little worried that some how by taking off the retaining clip that was on the shift rod i fubar'ed something up in the trans and thats why its not shifting at all

Yeah probably Laughing

That clip you removed is about the only thing holding the shift shaft in! If you gave it a knock with the clip off (well did ya, come on, fess up, did ya have to pull the shaft back out a smidge to get the clip back on?).

You'll have to drain the oil & remove the clutch case. Maybe you knocked one of the springs off the shifter mech. Have a look in the manual how it's meant to be. Hopefully an easy fix mate, good luck!

urbandork

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: fubar'ed something??? bike stuck in first HELP!!!

damn

yeah i did .. blah

should i be looking at the spring that connects to the stopper assembly

Im using a haynes manual and am on page 35 fig 1.3 and looking at the part 27 which is a spring ... it holds on to the locating plate and stopper assembly

does this sound familiar??

or am i totally looking at the wrong fig???

or should i be looking at the spring on the selector claw area ??
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: fubar'ed something??? bike stuck in first HELP!!!

Page 30 on this manual:

www.knucklebusterinc.c.../XS650.pdf

yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: fubar'ed something??? bike stuck in first HELP!!!

650rider.com/index.php...tent#66732

might help

urbandork

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: fubar'ed something??? bike stuck in first HELP!!!

i take it i can use yamabond when i put the cover back on ? or is there something better to use?
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: fubar'ed something??? bike stuck in first HELP!!!

This is the thread I was looking for:

650rider.com/index.php...tent#35405

Well you could use Yamabond, but I wouldn't! If you are carefull enough, you can remove it without breaking the old one & you can reuse it!

I've reused them even when they were broken (no leaks). Coat both sides with never seize & bolt it back together, shouldn't leak! Even if it does, it wont be much & will last till you get a new one!

urbandork

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: fubar'ed something??? bike stuck in first HELP!!!

cool ill take a crack at it today..
urbandork

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: fubar'ed something??? bike stuck in first HELP!!!

coolios ... i just finished and took a test ride ... shifts with out a problem

i figured since i was out there id replace the drive shaft and push rod seal.. hopefully it was one of those two that was leaking and not the shifter rod seal as id have to pull the clutch off to pull the shift rod assembly out in order to get at that seal.

any how this is what happened

none of the springs where detached however when i had the clip holding the shifter rod off i attempted to put it in gear. Having nothing to hold it in the gear selector assembly moved around while simulating a shift and this caused the shifter selector claw thing to move over and dislodged it from the shifter assembly (the thing with two claw moved outward) and thus wasnt making contact with the mech that rotates.

I simply fiddled around with the assembly and got the teeth/claw part where it should be and it shifted with out a problem.

Thank you very much for your help

lol newb mistake made for a longer days work plus an oil change.... hopefully it was one of those two seals i replaced which was leaking cus id hate to take the clutch off and have to replace the shift rod seal arrg.
bandito

PostPosted: December 2, 2009, 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: fubar'ed something??? bike stuck in first HELP!!!

I was looking in my clymer manual.

I have an xs with a damaged shift shaft spline, and it needs to
be replaced.

Am I right in assuming I need to pull the right side cover, and remove
the clutch to feed the assembly out and replace?

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1