650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > After Market Products > > Pamco - Electronic Ignitions > > Pamco Ignition - No spark, anyone else?

Pamco Ignition - No spark, anyone else?
Go to page Previous  1, 2
    Forum Index -> Pamco - Electronic Ignitions
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 24, 2009, 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Pamco Ignition - No spark, anyone else?

Tee Cat

The symptoms are that it just quits. I trhink that you probably have some other problem, but it wouldn't hurt to strip the insulation off of the ends of the coil.

PostPosted: May 25, 2009, 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Pamco Ignition - No spark, anyone else?

Pete,

I got my new Pamco unit from Mikesxs on Friday. Friday evening I had my electrical engineering buddy crimp new ends on the unit, along with a 6 amp inline fuse. Got everything installed again Friday night and it fired right up.

I got a chance to ride it this weekend, got about 30+ miles on Sunday, no problems to speak of...at least not with the ignition Smile

Hopefully more miles to come in the next few days and weeks...I'll keep you posted.

Thanks, Matt
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 27, 2009, 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Pamco Ignition - No spark, anyone else?

buckroseau

Great! Hope you read the above post regarding overheating coils and the correct way to mount them for cooling.

PostPosted: May 27, 2009, 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Pamco Ignition - No spark, anyone else?

Pete, thank you... as it turns out, I had fouled plugs, likely from too much idling time while i work on it. Sad

So, when I get a chance... maybe just cut the insulation off the mounting ears with a knife or something? I seem to recall it being molded on. And it won't hurt to have the ears being in direct contact with the mounting surfaces of the frame?

Hey... piccies of that (ideal mounting) might be a good addition/update to your website!

TC
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 27, 2009, 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Pamco Ignition - No spark, anyone else?

TeeCat

Yes, just strip the insulation off of the top and bottom of the ends where the bolt holes are. The idea is to provide direct metal to metal contact with the mounting clamps for better heat conduction.

I have posted the mounting technique on my web site. Just click where it says "Installing the coils on '72 to '79 models"

www.yamahaxs650.com

PostPosted: May 27, 2009, 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Pamco Ignition - No spark, anyone else?

Aaaah... good! Thanks for that addition. I'll be getting to that as soon as I get some spare time.

TC
Photo Gallery
buckroseau

PostPosted: September 22, 2009, 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Pamco Ignition - No spark, anyone else?

Just a FYI....a 6 amp inline fuse will not blow if the ignition switch is left on, per the previous post(s). In my case it either shorted out the coil or pamco unit or both.....again. I tried a smaller fuse, but it seems to pop the fuse when the ignition is turned on. Ended up ordering another new one from Mikesxs, works fine again.

I'm more mad at myself than anything....just thought I would post that info up for anyone else wondering?

Matt
Photo Gallery
Imcgyver

PostPosted: November 30, 2009, 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Pamco Ignition - No spark, anyone else?

Hello, this question is for buckroseau, I also have an81H and looking at the Pamco setup with rhe green coil, Will the coil mount on the factory frame mount or will I need to get the ground clamps?
Thank you for your time and response Ron
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: November 30, 2009, 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Pamco Ignition - No spark, anyone else?

Imcgyver- Read this from Pete's site, linked above in his post.
Pictures!
www.yamahaxs650.com/Gr...20Coil.htm

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 1, 2009, 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Pamco Ignition - No spark, anyone else?

imcg,

The green monster coil will mount in the stock bracket in '80 to '83 models using the standoffs that come with the coil. It is important that you mount the coil to clear the tank on both sides, like this:

PostPosted: December 1, 2009, 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Pamco Ignition - No spark, anyone else?

Thank you for your response, the picture is a great help.

Forum Index -> Pamco - Electronic Ignitions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2