650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Frames > > Steering Disassemmbly

Steering Disassemmbly
    Forum Index -> Frames
Jehtie

PostPosted: November 28, 2009, 11:02 pm    Post subject: Steering Disassemmbly

Hi All!

I'm moving from Cairns down to Taz (Australia) and want to disassemble the bike so that I can fit it into the back of my wagon. I've done everything but the steering..... sadly it won't fit by a matter of inches.

What is the best way to remove the steering? I'm not familiar with the correct jargon but my original thought was to (see picture for reference) widen with a screw driver and then undo the steering head locknut. Will this allow me to access easily undo-able (Is that a word?) parts so that the whole steering slides off? (Once the front wheel has been elevated of course)

or

Option II

Is it easier to remove the forks as in the diagram?

If anyone can help I will name my firstborn after you even if it's a girl. I'm now on a strict timeline. Argh!

Also, because I've left everything to the last minute because I wanted to keep riding, I don't have time to purchase one of MikesXS's ring wrenches because of postage time. Is there another name for it in Australia? I asked the guy at Repco and he looked at me like I'd just drunk Koolaid for Cultists. I believe I'm in the ballpark with steering stem nut adjustment tool. Does anyone know the specific size?

Oh, one more thing - if there is another post where this is found I'd be grateful... I've been looking everywhere.

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 28, 2009, 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Disassemmbly

If only a few inchs would removing the tops of the risers, and sliding the forks up work?
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 28, 2009, 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Disassemmbly

Man, don't do the "widen with a screwdriver" pleeease!

Simple really, remove speedo cable,
remove brake master cyl (this way you wont have to disconnect the brake hose & get brake fluid everywhere.
remove any cable ties or whatever might get in your way

Clean the fork legs above the 2 triple clamps, then spray with CRC

Measure & record how far the tops of the fork legs stick out above the top triple clamp.

Get the bike secured with the front wheel a foot or so off the ground
Loosen the 8 pinch bolts tha clamp the forks to the triple clamps & the whole lot will slide down & out!

Yamaman is no name for a girl, & I wont be held responsible for you scaring the poor child for life. So you'll have to name her Dave, after my dog Laughing

Jehtie

PostPosted: November 28, 2009, 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Disassemmbly

Weekend Rider,

I like your thinking.

Unfortunately, I'm out by an inch still but there still remains an issue with the length.

I've taken into account the possibility of removing the front tyre as well.

Cheers,

(I've just noticed the new post, so I'll check it out from there)

Forum Index -> Frames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1