650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > Now how much would you pay...? Greetings from AK

Now how much would you pay...? Greetings from AK
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
RedShift42

PostPosted: October 2, 2009, 6:46 am    Post subject: Now how much would you pay...? Greetings from AK

Hi, I'm Eric-- an aspiring XS owner, living up in Alaska.

For several years I've known of a '77 XS in town that, after a DUI, the owner parked and subsequently ignored. This week I offhandedly commented on it again to my wife and oddly she asked if I've tried inquiring about it again.
What-- really????!
Taking that as encouragement/blessing, I went over next morning and knocked on his door.
Eureka! This time the owner was ready to sell (last time he told me to beat it)

Without critical thought, I tossed out an arbitrary figure of $400 and he agreed. That $ was based on the last time I saw the bike up close, 3 years ago when it was first parked-- I was pretty surprised when we walked around the house and I saw its present state. Sitting in the weather has been hard on her.

I'm hoping for a little guidance on what would be reasonable for this bike:
- Ran when parked
- 11k miles, feels like strong compression when kicked, no substantial frame rust, tip-over damage but no sign of crashes
- standard model w/ the Akront-style spoke wheels, single disc, drum rear
- natty chrome plated tank w/ some dings and rust pits, inside it smells varnished but looks to be clean.
- heavily weathered throughout, surface rust & oxidation galore
- it's going to need everything-- new battery, tires, chain, shocks, mufflers, seat, and a thorough course of TLC, compounding, and R&R of the usual weather-vulnerable bits.

My desire is to build a decent looking budget runner version of the XS pictured below-- basic & simple, very little fabbing required, not fussy. I'm mechanically adept, but not yet owned a bike that needed restoration.
Given my geography, I don't really have a sense of the market for these bikes-- is this a fair price or do I need to renegotiate?
I'm feeling like $400 is kinda steep.

Thanks for any insights!

-Eric.

The bike I'm looking at:

And the goal:

Last edited by RedShift42 on October 2, 2009, 4:01 pm; edited 4 times in total
twinsarehot

PostPosted: October 2, 2009, 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Now how much would you pay...? Greetings from AK

$400 is rather cheap! Well, at least in my area (northeast). To build something like that, you would probably want to do a tear down anyway, even if it is mostly to de-rust that thing. I say go for it, especially if it "should" fire back up.

PostPosted: October 2, 2009, 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Now how much would you pay...? Greetings from AK

Sounds good to me can't buy a good bicycle for 400$. Not literaly but 400, if covers are there and it doesnt need a rebuild on the mottor you good. imo
Photo Gallery
twinsarehot

PostPosted: October 2, 2009, 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Now how much would you pay...? Greetings from AK

yeah, if you're sure the motor works, get it. Building the bike w/o having to rebuild the engine will cost quite a bit already.

PostPosted: October 2, 2009, 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Now how much would you pay...? Greetings from AK

That pic is gorgeous. That is what I am attempting to build out of a special but in yellow, not chrome.
Mostly stock ... but the seat and tail is amazing.
Well ... an 82 special may be the farthest form that as you could possibly get but then again that's all that was around when I had my blinders on ...
Cool.
Srinath.
RedShift42

PostPosted: October 2, 2009, 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Now how much would you pay...? Greetings from AK

Thanx for the inputs!

Edited original post to show pics of the bike.

-Eric.
Srinath

PostPosted: October 2, 2009, 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Now how much would you pay...? Greetings from AK

I think my plank seat idea will be a nightmare on my 82 special.
Especially cos I dont want to cut stuff off.
The damn seat on mine is a freaking couch on wheels.
Cool.
Srinath.
Srinath

PostPosted: October 2, 2009, 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Now how much would you pay...? Greetings from AK

OH your bike isn't modded yet. OK I have to tell you, your exhaust pipe is some aftermarket deal, it prolly is good to retain those and not go short stubby X and pepper sprinkler cap.
Cool.
Srinath.
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 2, 2009, 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Now how much would you pay...? Greetings from AK

Hey Red, cold up yonder yet?Hey, a good order to Mike's is well over $400, so it sound's like a good deal. It turn's over with a relatively good compression,that's a good sign.Just check the dipstick for water,if so, let it go.Unless you want to do a full teardown. Most of that rust will come off. These seam to hold up well after year's of neglect.Mine sat outside, uncovered for 3 year's before I decided to do something about it. I replaced just about everything you mentioned, had a little trouble with my type of carb's, but that was before I found this site.
She run's really good now,& this winter I'm gonna do the lipstick & rouge to her.
There is allot of real good info here, so don't worry, ask any question's you need answered.
Oh, welcome to the site,,,Gordo

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: October 2, 2009, 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Now how much would you pay...? Greetings from AK

I don't know how much things cost up in your neck of the woods but around here I might offer $200. I bought mine as a runner for $550 and it didn't have so much rust. As you say it's gonna need EVERYTHING as mine needs a ton of stuff too. . Offer less and see what he says. I see potential but it's gonna cost. Try this. Make a list of what you know it is going to need. Total it up. Possibly use that as a bargaining chip.
In the end, only you know what it's worth to you. I'm just talking about me. I'm a tight ass LOL. I do like the picture of the one you are modeling it after though.
If you already offered $400 you might come back with, well I made a list of parts just to get it going and I'll have to amend my offer to $XXX . Maybe this isn't the one meant for you? Hope this helps.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
nj1639

PostPosted: October 2, 2009, 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Now how much would you pay...? Greetings from AK

Man O Man, what a blank canvas.
It's amazing what a weekend of elbow grease will do for that bike. If 400 won't break you than go for it. She says 'go', he says 'yes' = strike before either changes their mind.
Love the chrome tank.

RedShift42

PostPosted: October 9, 2009, 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Now how much would you pay...? Greetings from AK

Done deal.
I offered less, seller accepted. Deposit made, hands shaken.
She gets loaded onto the truck this weekend.

After that it'll be a tarp nap in the driveway for a few weeks (why start now, tho', right?) whilst I finish my ersatz workshop in the crawlspace.
...Hopefully before the snow gets too deep.

After a decade of dreaming, I look forward to being part of the community here.
Thanx to everyone for their input!

-Eric.
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: October 9, 2009, 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Now how much would you pay...? Greetings from AK

As long as YOU are happy the deal was good. Congrats new XS owner and welcome.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
RedShift42

PostPosted: November 9, 2009, 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Now how much would you pay...? Greetings from AK

Just a fun postscript to this story...

I'm down the street this evening getting the mail (our block has a central mailbox location) and got chatting w/ another fellow who's doing the same.
He walks back w/ me b/c there's a truck for sale nextdoor to my place he wants to look at. In talking it comes out that he's a certified Yamaha mechanic.
"That could come in handy," I say "I may have to hit you up for help sometime on a project I'll be starting this winter"
"Sure thing, be happy to help-- hey wait, is this your place?"
"Yup"
"Heh, I used to rent this place back before you bought it. So what's your project anyway?
Pointing to wheels peeking out from under a tarp in the driveway, "An old XS650"
"Really, what year??"
"'77."
"Hmmm, all chromed out...?"
"Yeah, so you've seen it then?"
"You could say that-- that's my old bike, I sold it in '04, but it lived for years right there in what's now your shed!

So call it fate or coincidence, it seems the old Yamy has a homing instinct.

-Eric.

Last edited by RedShift42 on November 10, 2009, 12:55 am; edited 2 times in total
danno

PostPosted: November 9, 2009, 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Now how much would you pay...? Greetings from AK

Awesome postscript! You just can't make this stuff up. Sounds like the old '77 was suffering from a touch of homesickness. I am sure it is in good hands now.
gggGary

PostPosted: November 24, 2009, 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Now how much would you pay...? Greetings from AK

bwah ha ha If you go out there look under the tarp and there is a new chrome fender on it. Go get your shot gun and and finish "Christene" off! Otherwise sounds like it's meant to be. Les than 400 for a complete bike with title and compression sounds good to me.

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1