650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > engine dies when hot Please Help

engine dies when hot Please Help
    Forum Index -> Engine
mastershake

PostPosted: November 11, 2009, 10:25 pm    Post subject: engine dies when hot Please Help

Ok here is what happens After starting the bike fine I can run it for about 5 min. then when it is hot it first will just die going down the road like the fuel shut off it boggs down and dies. I can start it back up and maybe make it couple hundered feet before same thing again. And just gets progressively worse until it is stalling as soon as you put it in gear with the clutch still pulled in. I have gone through the clutch and replace the throw out gear and lubed cable I am happy with the clutch the bike rolls freely when in gear with clutch pulled in that tells me this is not a clutch dragging issue. The wierd thing is when this happens it will idle in neutral all day long but stalls / dies as soon as you kick it into 1st gear. Everything is fine before the bike gets hot. I have checked the coil it is fine 2.5 to 2.9 ohms cold and hot this was my first guess. Voltage is 13.9v at battery. It will run with ground off battery. I was going to check the TCI unit but was looking for some educated guesses first before I start in the wrong direction. Thanks A lot let me know if you need any more info.

PostPosted: November 12, 2009, 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: engine dies when hot Please Help

Try for something simple first. Go over the wiring for the kickstand cutout switch, can't remember if it's circuit completed or circuit off that triggers the cutout as I removed the whole thing a while ago, anyway, something about the heat may be causing the wires to either touch or disengage, whichever way round it is. Good luck.
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 12, 2009, 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: engine dies when hot Please Help

Clogged tank vent?

PostPosted: November 22, 2009, 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: engine dies when hot Please Help

I check the kick stand circuit and it has already been byypassed and I re soldered that connection.
I am going to try and trace down and check the neutral switch on the transmission and see what I come up with there.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 22, 2009, 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: engine dies when hot Please Help

Try opening the fuel tank cap, & see if it run's then. I, like weekend rider, think you got a clogged vent in the gas tank. Or a clogged petcock.
The neutral switch has nothing to do with it running,only starting using the electric leg. The kill switch's are also a problem area. Clean & lube the contact's.

mastershake

PostPosted: November 22, 2009, 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: engine dies when hot Please Help

I think I found the problem. After I repaired a splice on the stand switch I had the ignition switch on and not runing and bumped into the wires and heard the starter relay click. The bypass plug was coming and going even after I repaired the splice. I ran it and I didnt die yet it should have died if it was going too. I just ran it i nt he garage and put it in and out of gear and was still running fine. I have a broke wrist from off road riding so no test ride for a month that sucks. So hopefully that was the issue and the engine hot symptom was just coinceidence. I don't belive it is a vent issue as it will idle forever it was only dying in gear.
thanks all for the input on this issue

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1