650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > Fuel filters. Stock or Pods?

Fuel filters. Stock or Pods?
    Forum Index -> Fuel
chef.tay

PostPosted: November 19, 2009, 4:36 pm    Post subject: Fuel filters. Stock or Pods?

I've been running pod filters on my 71 XS1b for awhile but i've heard some controversey about them so i wanted to look into it...

I have the originals( i'm not sure how nice of condition though)... would it be better to rebuild the originals or stick to pods?

Thanks!

chef.tay
Photo Gallery
despecial

PostPosted: November 19, 2009, 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filters. Stock or Pods?

can be rather difficult fine tuning your bike with pods...k and n's are much better...there is an optimal inlet distance 22-26 inches, for xses its around 23 inches-measured from inlet valve to end of air filter

PostPosted: November 19, 2009, 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filters. Stock or Pods?

So i suppose the K and N's are in that range?

I imagine that the K and N's are much better than the stock filters but K and N's are pretty expensive as well right?

What do you think i should do?
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: November 20, 2009, 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel filters. Stock or Pods?

Hi Buddy. I'm not going to tell you what you should do. The K&Ns are a bit pricey on the front end but you can clean them and reuse them.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
chef.tay

PostPosted: November 20, 2009, 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel filters. Stock or Pods?

hmmmm I'll probably save my money for those and get them when spring comes around

Thanks Pumps Smile
Photo Gallery
chef.tay

PostPosted: November 20, 2009, 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filters. Stock or Pods?

Okay, So I've decided to just go ahead and buy them...

Is the vehicle search on the K and N website accurate to what I need for my bike?

I don't know the diameter of my BS38s intake off the top of my head but these are what K and N gave me: store.knfilters.com/se...od=RC-0982

despecial: What exactly are you talking about when it comes to the inlet distance being 23 inches?
Photo Gallery
despecial

PostPosted: November 20, 2009, 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filters. Stock or Pods?

- there is a formula i found that calculates the optimal inlet side length, has to do with flow dynamics under suction...came out of a book i read years ago ... Philip Smith, "The Scientific Design of Intake and Exhaust Systems".

- its not absolutely important for stock motors but interesting

this is a TM34, 55mm inlet, self made spacer rolled from 1mm stainless sheet and welded, ID 55mm for a tight fit..KnN filter 57mm ID flange, 127mm long...works fine and will be replaced by a filter 150mm long

PostPosted: November 21, 2009, 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel filters. Stock or Pods?

Are the XS performance pod filters on mikes(k&n-style filters on 650central) an equal substitute for legit K&n's?
Photo Gallery
bennecc

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filters. Stock or Pods?

Good question tay, that's exactly what I was wondering. Anyone?
chef.tay

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filters. Stock or Pods?

Yeah I'm still a little curious haha....
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filters. Stock or Pods?

people who sell parts will tell you anything to get you to buy there product.

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1