650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > chain tensioners

chain tensioners
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
interex87

PostPosted: August 22, 2009, 11:35 am    Post subject: chain tensioners

hey guys check this out look well made i think i may pick one up
monstercraftsman.com/?l1=products

what do you guys think?
highspeedhamish

PostPosted: August 22, 2009, 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: chain tensioners

I think im getting the non sprocket one. I like the idea of spring loaded versus set at pre determined height.
interex87

PostPosted: August 22, 2009, 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: chain tensioners

yeah me too im going to do the bolt on sprocket one as i will never have to replace it like the wheel would need to be.

but i really like it i think its going to look and work great 125 is a bit much but hey what are you going to do.
highspeedhamish

PostPosted: August 22, 2009, 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: chain tensioners

The only reason I wouldnt go the sprocket route is the additional noise. I working on a belt drive system anyway so obviously the roller is my choice.

Ya 125 is a fair sum... but someone had to come with it. R and D costs I guess.. Smile

hutch08

PostPosted: November 17, 2009, 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: chain tensioners

Go to your local princess auto or harbor freight and pick up a 530 sprocket for under 10 bucks that already has a bearing pressed in. I considered buying one of them from monster craftsman but after looking at it, a couple hours in the garage and 10 bucks sounds alot better than $125 to me...
sure

PostPosted: November 17, 2009, 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: chain tensioners

he makes a non sprocket version also...
xsjohn

PostPosted: November 17, 2009, 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: chain tensioners

Why not work on the cause of all the chain flutter.......I did..........mine doesn't flutter and the tack needle is dead still....... ah well .........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
nj1639

PostPosted: November 17, 2009, 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: chain tensioners

xsjohn wrote:
Why not work on the cause of all the chain flutter.......I did..........mine doesn't flutter and the tack needle is dead still....... ah well .........

xsjohn

Wink

xsjohn

PostPosted: November 17, 2009, 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: chain tensioners

On these engines with 2 cylinders and being a 360 design when the gas fires the piston down it accelerates the crank…..then on the opposed compression stroke it slows….the oscillation creates a vibration or ratcheting which robs power and tears everything up more quickly…and makes them run like crap…reducing the compression just slightly greatly reduces the dilemma described above and lets it smooth out and run like and engine is supposed to…now lets hop them up and whack them apart for more jack hammer fun.....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: November 17, 2009, 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: chain tensioners

John;
I dont think this is stock frame stuff here. The problam is with some stretched swing arms and hard tail bikes the chain is much longer and you get far way more final drive chain slap then with a stock bike. I have used plastic sliders on some applications and it has worked fine. I think before I spent that kind of money for that adjuster I would spend a hour out in the shed and fabricate my own however. But if you cant do that then these look to be of good quality and should work great. For extra long final drive chains, I would opt for the spring loaded version, simply because you useually have to over tighten the chain the longer it is, therefore the spring loaded would help by allowing you to run a little less tention and still haveing enough tention to turn the wheel properly. END results... (LONGER CHAIN LIFE).

xsjohn

PostPosted: November 17, 2009, 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: chain tensioners

No matter how long the chain is the rattiness is still coming from the engine.........as explained earlier.........or a lot more spinning mass ....not a easy thing to conjure there and it too takes some power......guess you guys just have to enjoy the rattiness.......don't have to though.....must think I am full of sh*t...........when I first started this project my tack needle jumped and 1/8" or more and chain flutter was ungodly......now the needle is dead still....that if you can imagine is like driving a toyota......can't imagine either why anybody wouldn't want that..........am I waisting my time trying to explain this or what.........ya but who asked.....

Fix that and add your spring tensioner and have a Rolls.......plus your engine will last way longer and ignition should be better from the inferrior cam driven ignitions....due to the way less ratcheting going on there .........along with everything else...clutch ....trans 5th gear ....crank ect..............

xsjohn
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1