650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > stainless pipes

stainless pipes
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
samuria

PostPosted: November 9, 2009, 5:40 pm    Post subject: stainless pipes

hi new to this site. iam looking for some header pipes for my hardtail. there are none in the uk. can anyone recomend any good dealers or anybody on here have some they would ship Confused Confused Confused cheers
ady66

PostPosted: November 9, 2009, 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: stainless pipes

Hi and welcome, I've got the same problem. There are the usual outlets; xs650shop.de or 650 Central who I am informed will ship to the UK. I've used xs650shop with no problems but not for exhausts, and they're not cheap when you take account of the exchange rate and shipping.

I've made a few enquiries re getting a set made up in stainless, again not cheap but at around 160GBP should last. They usually need the bike or an old set as a template though, which ain't always easy.

You would think with all the 650s made over the years someone in the UK would still offer pattern downpipes, but I suppose most bikes were sold in the US.

Good luck,
Ady.
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 9, 2009, 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: stainless pipes

Contact Gordon Scott, he is a member on tis site. I do not have his e-mail address, but I am sure it's listed in his personal info.He make's some really nice stainless exhaust for the 650, and he has a couple 650'S that he built & ride's. I've seen his work, & it is excellent quality stuff! Privcate Message him & see what he can do for you.
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 10, 2009, 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: stainless pipes

Here is a link to Gordonscott's site

mysite.verizon.net/res...index.html
Photo Gallery
samuria

PostPosted: November 10, 2009, 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: stainless pipes

thanks guys. will do Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
gordonscott

PostPosted: November 10, 2009, 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: stainless pipes

I Guys, Unfortunately I’m not shipping outside USA right now because of new regulations and paper work they just past within last two weeks Mad . They have made it real hard and time consuming to ship outside country so for now I’m not going too. I’ve shipped all over the world in past but now it’s getting very expensive and not worth the trouble to do so. Very sorry I’m not able to help. Also I do not make pipes out of stainless, but some times out of aluminized tube. Stainless is very expensive and most would not want to pay the extra cost. I'm not saying I will never ship outside USA again but for now I have enough orders to fill here at home so I will tend to those first. best regards.
Srinath

PostPosted: November 10, 2009, 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: stainless pipes

Stainless also tends to ... well rust when used in exhausts. Stainless is a version of steel that when dipped in nitric acid gets a protective coating. Scratches and nicks and what not it is able to fill in a repair itself very quickly. However large scale heat and exposure to elements tends to leave it exposed and there it will rust like steel pretty much. Good chromed steel can stay shiny as can aluminum coated pipe.
Of course sand and paint with high temperature paint always works.
Cool.
Srinath.
despecial

PostPosted: November 10, 2009, 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: stainless pipes

...here are some european xs contacts...

- heiden tuning - holland www.xs650.biz/

- twinns inn - germany www.twins-inn.de/

- der meude - germany stores.shop.ebay.co.uk...QQ_armrsZ1

- (der-muede-alte@web.de)

...there is a guy in france making very nice stainless se headers for xses - i have a header for my sr from him but cant find the invoice for his contact address at the moment

PostPosted: November 10, 2009, 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: stainless pipes

Very Happy thanks will try them, i wanted some of those drag pipes that guy gordonscott makes they look great Sad Sad Sad
xsleo

PostPosted: November 15, 2009, 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: stainless pipes

I don't know about over the pond, here stateside we have shops that fix just exhaust systems for cars and light trucks. Then have pipe benders to bend pipe however they need it to fit. If you have places like that, you might get one to bend pipie to fit your bike.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
despecial

PostPosted: November 15, 2009, 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: stainless pipes

yes you will most likely have to dummy these up with self cut bend sections, tacked together...some shops can simply use this as a pattern and reproduce it

PostPosted: November 16, 2009, 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: stainless pipes

sorted now, found a guy local who will make them to my spec, thanks to all Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1