650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Parts Needed > > Performance Parts > > Pedal style kick start

Pedal style kick start
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
    Forum Index -> Performance Parts
Chopdoc

PostPosted: April 23, 2008, 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

jimmythetrucker wrote:
I think if you're wearing soft-soled shoes, like loafers, for example, the bicycle pedal kicker would be nice. With the Yammy style kicker, you better wear hard-soled boots or you'll break the arch in your foot -- whether the bike kicks back or not.

Never, ever ride with anything but good boots.

Never, ever kick start a bike....especially a big one.....with anything but boots with heels.

That said, the XS could be kicked over barefoot (exageration....don't pick on me for it). It's a pussycat next to a big ol' Twin.....

One other nice thing about the posickle kicker.....it's easier on your boots!

I've got boots older than some of the riders here I think, and one reason they stay on the road is that they cost a limb and a half, the other is that I take care of them and get them redone right before they actually need it.

Those little tiny kicker pegs are harder on boots.
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 23, 2008, 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

I agree with you Roy. I always wear jeans and harness boots and a jacket, at least. But out on the avenue I see them rice rockets blowin' by. They wear shorts and sneakers and no shirts and their girlfriends all wear sandals and shortie shorts and halter tops -- while the boyfriend tailgates cars running 50 mph. I always wonder what the girlie would look like after the scooter goes down at that speed.

Chopdoc, being a surgeon, probably met a few of the survivors. So hey, Chopdoc -- got any pics?
royfisk

PostPosted: April 23, 2008, 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

Im really getting scared now, suicide clutches , sandals, tailgaters, next someone will tell me they never change a tire till the canvas is showing. and brakes are over rated. JOHN WHERES THAT SHINE, NEED SOME NOW.
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 23, 2008, 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

Geez, Roy! I never used to change my tires until the canvas was showing. But then they started putting steel belts in them instead of canvas. Now I don't know what to do 'cuz I can't see the canvas any more.

Polish, did you say? You polish 'em when they get like that?
NateDogg

PostPosted: April 23, 2008, 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

I'm doing a bmx pedal kicker right now......
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 23, 2008, 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

NAte is that an all metal open pedal? I would be interested I did the popsicle kicker conversion and I like it but I really like the open metal look
Photo Gallery
Chopdoc

PostPosted: April 23, 2008, 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

jimmythetrucker wrote:

Chopdoc, being a surgeon, probably met a few of the survivors. So hey, Chopdoc -- got any pics?

None that I can post...sorry. I'm not a surgeon yet...but I have a lot of assists under my belt. I do have some pics but can't post them due to privacy laws and regard for the patients. There's plenty of that on the web already anyway. For those that have morbid curiosity, they ain't hard to find.
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 23, 2008, 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

Chopdoc -- It was supposed to be a joke. My bad, I guess.
Chopdoc

PostPosted: April 23, 2008, 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

Sorry I missed that. I get requests for everything from gory pics to prescriptions to "hey...can you look at this doc?" As the person starts undoing their pants...

Hard to tell when it's a joke sometimes....
BoxCarPhoto

PostPosted: April 23, 2008, 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

hey doc.. i've got this little problem...

hahaha.

i'll have to second the 'road rash isn't something you ever want' sentiment. especially you old folks. my parents went down, once, and i, a youngin, about had a heart attack when i got a call from the paramedics!
Chopdoc

PostPosted: April 23, 2008, 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

BoxCarPhoto wrote:
hey doc.. i've got this little problem...

Don't worry....it will grow...eat your spinach..... Wink

...and leave the poor thing alone for a minute, would ya?
ted650chopper

PostPosted: August 26, 2008, 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

nice, I was going to weld something up but this is much more clever.

PostPosted: November 15, 2009, 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

hey chopdoc do you have any ideas on how to use a metal pedal on the xs kicker? maybe like the rectangular brass ones? ive been thinking about it forever but was trying to avoid cutting and welding the kicker so it didnt snap off at some point when i go to start my bike. thanks.

PostPosted: December 20, 2009, 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal style kick start

I am thinking of putting a vintage bicycle pedal on as my kicker but I will wait until later to give it a try

Forum Index -> Performance Parts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3