650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Having trouble settlingthe bead

Having trouble settlingthe bead
    Forum Index -> Drive
Rickrod

PostPosted: October 3, 2009, 8:24 pm    Post subject: Having trouble settlingthe bead

I'm replacing tires and have tried several times to set the bead even all around the tire. I removed and reinstalled the tire several times.
(This is getting tiring.)

I cleaned the inside of the rim.
used windex onthe tire for lubrication
Filled tire to 50 psi several times while bouncing tire.
Even tried tapping with a rubber mallet while i was filling the tire.
What causes this and what else can I do?

thanks in advance
Rick
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 3, 2009, 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Having trouble settlingthe bead

Not sure that windex is ideal.......Never heard of it anyway.
I use a heavy mix of dishwashing liuid & water in a spray bottle. Even better would be a handfull of the proper stuff from a tyre shop.

Temperature can make it more dificult, the warmer you can get the tyre, the easier, sit it in the sun for a while usually helps.

halfbreed

PostPosted: November 12, 2009, 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Having trouble settlingthe bead

just air it up mopre like to 60 or so with alot of soapy water then start to hammer on the tire with rubber mallet ,,it will take a few times it will seat.over inflation is not good thing but it will work ,just be prepared to let the air out fast when it pops on so you dont blow it
BigGeorge

PostPosted: November 13, 2009, 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Having trouble settlingthe bead

I have found that D&L hand soap works very well. Its extremely slippery against rubber and I've seated both tube and tubless tires on cars, motorcycles and farm equipment with it..

PostPosted: November 13, 2009, 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Having trouble settlingthe bead

Rickrod wrote:
I'm replacing tires and have tried several times to set the bead even all around the tire. I removed and reinstalled the tire several times.
(This is getting tiring.)

I cleaned the inside of the rim.
used windex onthe tire for lubrication
Filled tire to 50 psi several times while bouncing tire.
Even tried tapping with a rubber mallet while i was filling the tire.
What causes this and what else can I do?

thanks in advance
Rick

How do you know its not seating. Does it not hold air ?

If you're listening for the pop sound, well, dont. Not all tires pop. Narrow tires, and the 120-130 is narrow enough in the taller profile on an xs is possible to seat wihtout popping. If it retains air, its fine.

Cool.
Srinath.
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 13, 2009, 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Having trouble settlingthe bead

Srinath wrote:

If it retains air, its fine.

Cool.
Srinath.

It most certainly is not fine just because it holds air.........
If you look at your tyre where it meets the rim, there is what is known as a bead line. This should be visible & even all around the wheel. If it's not, then you need to start again!

If 50psi doesn't do it, you need more/different lube. As I said earlier, the warmer the tyre, the easier it will be.

Srinath

PostPosted: November 13, 2009, 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Having trouble settlingthe bead

yamaman wrote:
Srinath wrote:

Cool.
Srinath.

If you look at your tyre where it meets the rim, there is what is known as a bead line. This should be visible & even all around the wheel. If it's not, then you need to start again!

If 50psi doesn't do it, you need more/different lube. As I said earlier, the warmer the tyre, the easier it will be.

OK on a tube tire you will need to get the tire seated. Cos it will retain air anyway.
Tubeless (which I assumed yours was due to the mag wheel in the pic) the bead not seating means it will lose air.
And I have tried up to 60 psi and still not heard it pop.
Cool.
Srinath.
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 13, 2009, 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Having trouble settlingthe bead

Rickrod, some dishwashing liquid cut with water will be good enough to seat the bead, As Yamaman stated, a warm tire will flex easier to allow seating.Apply the soap mixture liberally, but you do not want allot of the soap in the tire itself. Some is ok, but the less the better. Water expand's allot more than air, and on a hot day with road temp's at 130 +, an explosion can happen. Don't worry about that, though, as that is rare. I do not recommend silicon spray because it stay's on the bead and the tire can 'slip' on the wheel. I have seen allot of this, esp. on truck tire's. Tear's the tube right out of them.
metalredneck

PostPosted: November 14, 2009, 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Having trouble settlingthe bead

I have had fun with the alloy tube-type rims as well. I learned: SOAP SOAP SOAP. Then look all around the bead to make sure it is evenly spaced.

PostPosted: November 14, 2009, 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Having trouble settlingthe bead

Srinath wrote:
yamaman wrote:
Srinath wrote:

Cool.
Srinath.

OK on a tube tire you will need to get the tire seated. Cos it will retain air anyway.
Tubeless (which I assumed yours was due to the mag wheel in the pic) the bead not seating means it will lose air.
And I have tried up to 60 psi and still not heard it pop.
Cool.
Srinath.

royfisk

PostPosted: November 14, 2009, 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Having trouble settlingthe bead

Most yamaha mag wheels are not tubeless wheels. ALL TUBELESS WHEELS WILL BE CLEARLY MARKED AS SUCH ON ONE OF THE WHEELS 5 SPOKES. If it dont say tubeless then you need a tube.
royfisk

PostPosted: November 14, 2009, 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Having trouble settlingthe bead

Tire grease obtainable where ever big truck tires are mounted works best of anything. And its reuseable.

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1