650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > ANOTHER GEAR CHANGE ISSUE

ANOTHER GEAR CHANGE ISSUE
    Forum Index -> Drive
BklynMatt

PostPosted: November 9, 2009, 5:00 pm    Post subject: ANOTHER GEAR CHANGE ISSUE

I JUST DID A VALVE JOB TO MY 81 650XS, WHILE THE ENGINE WAS OUT WE WERE ABLE TO GO THROUGH ALL THE GEARS TURNING THE CRANK.
nOW I 'M RE-TIGHTENING ALL THE PARTICULARS & I'M GOING THROUGH A FINAL APPROACH TO START UP.
I WAS ATTEMPTING TO FIND NEUTRAL (WHILE UP ON CENTERSTAND WITH THE WHEEL OFF THE GROUND & I SEEM TO ONLY BE ABLE TO GO DOWN 1 GEAR & UP ONE, NOT FINDING NEUTRAL IN BETWEEN,
I HAVE YET TO ATTACH THE CLUTCH CABLE & ADJUST THE CHAIN ETC , BUT I'M CONCERNED ABOUT THIS MALADY.
CAN ANYONE OFFER AN OPINION? OR SUGGEST A COURSE OF ACTION.
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 9, 2009, 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: ANOTHER GEAR CHANGE ISSUE

BklynMatt,

Probably normal. The gears have to be moving to shift, so try turning the rear wheel as you shift. Try not using all caps in your posts. It's hard to read.

PostPosted: November 10, 2009, 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: ANOTHER GEAR CHANGE ISSUE

Alright that sort of makes sense, except How do you get to Neutral to start up if the gears need to be in motion?
(Sorry about the caps in my post, I use only caps at my job,)
Matt
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 10, 2009, 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: ANOTHER GEAR CHANGE ISSUE

BklynMatt,

Well, we move the bike slightly when we get on it before starting. Once the engine is running, the gears are in motion.

All this is not to say that you don't have a problem, but under normal conditions, the gears have to be moving to shift.

I remember using all caps back in the Teletype days. What do you do that requires all caps?

PostPosted: November 12, 2009, 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: ANOTHER GEAR CHANGE ISSUE

I work in engineering, drawings(CAD) are usually done in caps, as is all of our computer file entry, mayby it seems strange but the appearance on a drawing is better. Thanks for your advice, I just realized that I was assuming to be on the low end of the shift, looking for neutral between the two gears I've been getting. I just may be in 2nd & 3rd or higher.
The bike by the way is 50 miles from my reside, so I'm ot able to run out and check my theory immediately, I generally only get 1 day out of a weekend to work on it, so my week is filled with remote thoughts and plans, as opposed to action and involvement.
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: November 12, 2009, 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: ANOTHER GEAR CHANGE ISSUE

BklynMatt wrote:

The bike by the way is 50 miles from my reside, so I'm not able to run out and check my theory immediately, I generally only get 1 day out of a weekend to work on it, so my week is filled with remote thoughts and plans, as opposed to action and involvement.

One day is not enough my friend. You have GOT to get your priorities straight! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

My Bikes
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1