650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Chopper jobs > > I'm hooked.... time for a chop! -weld on hardtail choice?

I'm hooked.... time for a chop! -weld on hardtail choice?
    Forum Index -> Chopper jobs
Malloy

PostPosted: October 17, 2009, 8:46 pm    Post subject: I'm hooked.... time for a chop! -weld on hardtail choice?

Hey guys,

I recently did a light resto on my '71 freebie bike. Still need a better rear fender and springs....but its pretty fun to ride as is.

Now that I love the XS lump....I want to build a basic chopper from a '79 XS. I plan on re-using the engine, wheels, fork and other bits. My old man does body/paint work, so I will save some $ there. The idea is to do this as cheaply as possible while still creating a cool bike.

I'm picking up this beaut Rolling Eyes tomorrow.

Sat for 3 years outside...airbox is open...but I think we can get it running. It was running when parked...its full of good oil and there are no drops on the ground. If it doesn't turn, I guess I will part it out. I am a bit worried about it being open to the elements.....but time will tell and the price is right.

Soooooo, what do yo guys think of the TC Bros rear section? Looks nice, sounds nice, price seems great.
www.tcbroschoppers.com/id22.html

I will prob be asking Qs since this is all new to me....but I will search 1st Wink
1badzuk

PostPosted: October 17, 2009, 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm hooked.... time for a chop! -weld on hardtail choice?

g and l choppers pay to have it done. it will be done by pro's and worth every penny to know you wont die from shotty welds or crap rear section that dosent fit your body
Malloy

PostPosted: October 17, 2009, 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm hooked.... time for a chop! -weld on hardtail choice?

I will check them out, thanks! I have the welding covered too. (I work in the hot rod industry and have a chassis guy lined up to weld it)
Blacktooth_Grin

PostPosted: October 19, 2009, 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm hooked.... time for a chop! -weld on hardtail choic

I just ran across Elswick Cycle's hardtail section on ebay. It''s a little more expensive but I think it looks better than the TC Bros or G&L tails. I don't really like the looks of the axle plates those guys use.
BubbaKahuna

PostPosted: October 30, 2009, 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm hooked.... time for a chop! -weld on hardtail choice?

I have a TC Bros and it's first rate stuff.
Had my local TIG guy weld it on after I cut & tacked & it looks like a million bucks.
Haunt the fleabay auctions for the TCB and you can get it for about $20 or $30 cheaper.

jimxsrider

PostPosted: November 6, 2009, 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: I'm hooked.... time for a chop! -weld on hardtail choic

I used the tc bros hardtail. It was pretty easy to install and all the welds look great to me. there are a few things that i dont like about it though. The down tube is odly shape on the original bike and it comes down to a crossmember on the hard tail section. They give you a notched solid piece of 1" bar to put in there but the original frame tubing i.d. is larger but odly shaped, so it doesn't fit so good=weak frame joint. And the upward angled part of the hard tail should have the front ends notched to fit arround the part of the frame that they connect to. but it fit and looks good none the less.

Forum Index -> Chopper jobs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1