650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > High Performance Modifications > > All the rest > > JIS spec Phillips screw drivers, stop stripping screw heads

JIS spec Phillips screw drivers, stop stripping screw heads
    Forum Index -> All the rest
woodman

PostPosted: October 28, 2009, 11:24 am    Post subject: JIS spec Phillips screw drivers, stop stripping screw heads

www.amessupply.com/pro...id=1404070 I bought 2 long & 2 short #1 & #2 JIS japanese spec screw drivers a year ago, best money I ever spent. Stop ruining those case screws. Just thought Id pass this along, I have no dog in this hunt
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 28, 2009, 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: JIS spec Phillips screw drivers, stop stripping screw heads

replace those Phillips/JIS screws with allens
sschering

PostPosted: October 28, 2009, 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: JIS spec Phillips screw drivers, stop stripping screw heads

McMasterCarr sells a set of #1,#2,#3 and #4..
The only place I've found #3 and #4 drivers

Get a #3 driver. heck even a US style one.. there are more than a few #3 screws on our bikes to deal with.

$15 for the set of 4
www.mcmaster.com/#jis-...rs/=49c4sy

I have this Hozan set I'm very happy with
www.ikaswebshop.com/ho...set4d.html

I replace what fasteners I can but it's nice have drivers that can get the old screws out without much trouble..

The bonus of having them around is they fit almost any imported electronics way better then US drivers.. (think battery doors on kids toys)

Down side.. My wife keeps borrowing them.. I think I need a 2nd set.

William's Law ...
bluebikerblan

PostPosted: October 28, 2009, 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: JIS spec Phillips screw drivers, stop stripping screw heads

For that next set of both JIS type screwdrivers and 1/4" drive bits try these......I particularly like the long bits for my variety of ratchet drive handles cause I don't mix them up with all my other phillips.

www.rjrcooltools.com/vessel.cfm

These are pretty nice tools and do fit the jis "phillips type" very well.
The following explains the jis fit issue better than most anything I've seen also.

www.rjrcooltools.com/

Blue

Last edited by bluebikerblan on November 3, 2009, 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
woodman

PostPosted: October 29, 2009, 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: JIS spec Phillips screw drivers, stop stripping screw heads

Allens dont look correct but are better. You still have to get the old ones out though. Everyhting is fine if youre the first one to touch them and some meathead hasnt already ruined them which is rare with old bikes
bluebikerblan

PostPosted: November 3, 2009, 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: JIS spec Phillips screw drivers, stop stripping screw heads

Do check out the JIS 1/4" drive bits from RJRcooltool.com/ They are made for proper fit to the JIS Standard (Phillips type) screws we struggle to fit with Phillips bits & drivers made to the US Standard. Had one of the Vessel screwdrivers which are great and just got the bit set.

www.rjrcooltools.com/s...bcat_ID=89

Give em a go. They are the NUTS! The four piece set is $13.00....
You can tap em, set em drive em ratchet em and torque em and you'll be pleasantly surprised not only with fit, absence of camout, function and quality. Blue

Last edited by bluebikerblan on November 6, 2009, 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
benztech

PostPosted: November 5, 2009, 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: JIS spec Phillips screw drivers, stop stripping screw heads

just get a snap-on driver set.
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 5, 2009, 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: JIS spec Phillips screw drivers, stop stripping screw heads

A trick I learned along time ago is to use the correct size bit,(#2 or #3). Tap the bit into the screw head, then give it a good, solid rap or two with a heavy hammer. That usually loosen's the grip on the thread's & out they come. Snap-On tool's are great, but very expensive. Plan on speanding $100 or more for the name set. Do not get Blue Point, as they are Chinese. The 'coating' on the tip's is junk. Snap-On's also got a bolster on them so a small wrench can be used on really stubborn fastner's.
2-Skinny

PostPosted: November 5, 2009, 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: JIS spec Phillips screw drivers, stop stripping screw he

One trick is to gently file/dremel the tip of the Philips heads flat so they won't "cam-out" of the screw. Not as good as JIS but free...
woodman

PostPosted: November 7, 2009, 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: JIS spec Phillips screw drivers, stop stripping screw heads

Assuming its someplece you can get to with a hack saw
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 7, 2009, 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: JIS spec Phillips screw drivers, stop stripping screw heads

I do believe that Skinny is talking about the driver's, not the screw's themselves. I know that The General had come out with a Posidrive screw head that was used mostly in dashboard application's. A prerunner to Torx. The driver's had a different type of head, looked like a Phillip's, but a little extra slot that ran verticle with the point. But Skinny's idea does work. Gets' the head of the driver in a little deeper for a better bite.
woodman

PostPosted: November 14, 2009, 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: JIS spec Phillips screw drivers, stop stripping screw he

Well, I was just trying to help, if you dont want them dont buy them. Ill just keep my thoughts to myself in the future
gggGary

PostPosted: November 15, 2009, 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: JIS spec Phillips screw drivers, stop stripping screw heads

Long as we're here hand (hammer) impact wrench, no motorcyclist should be without one. Relax woodman you are right but there are a few other good ideas presented also.
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 16, 2009, 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: JIS spec Phillips screw drivers, stop stripping screw he

I have used impact wrenches before until i bought a set of screwdrivers that have the shaft going through the handle and can be hit with a hammer also have a magnet on the end and can be used as a lever.

I use these as an impact driver using my hand as the tension. The thing that makes these so good is the length of the screwdrivers so it is easy to get into those places where an impact wrench is clumsy.

After having these i will never by an impact driver again

p1130555.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  284.32 KB
 Viewed:  344 Time(s)

p1130555.jpg

p1130559.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  288.83 KB
 Viewed:  358 Time(s)

p1130559.jpg

Photo Gallery