650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Wheels, Brakes and Controls > > Better XS650 Brakes (cheap)

Better XS650 Brakes (cheap)
    Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls
xsjohn

PostPosted: July 30, 2006, 2:50 pm    Post subject: Better XS650 Brakes (cheap)

I had always wanted better brakes on my 1980 XS650
but duals on the front I thought was to much after riding my friends XS1100 which will stand on end if you are not careful. Here is how
you can add slotted disks which will give you 30% better brakes
and you don't have to drill out your disks and these fit perfectly.
You will notice that the front rotor on the XS650 is bigger than the
rear. Yamaha only made a few different rotors and some will
work on your 650. These help stop the sqeeking brakes too.

These are some factory slotted rotors that will fit on your XS650.

82 XJ1100 MAXIM ROTOR LEFT or RIGHT FRONT (Fits front XS650)
82 XS1100 ROTOR LEFT or RIGHT FRONT (Fits front XS650)

1979 Yamaha XS 850 Special Front Left or Right Rotor (Fits rear XS650)

I also think that sanding the pads on a belt sander a little once in a while
may help or slow down the grooving on the rotor. Well I plan to
try it for a while and see what happens. Be nice to keep smooth rotors.

Old Yamaha Mechanic John Underwood

xs650 brakes.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  152.08 KB
 Viewed:  938 Time(s)

xs650 brakes.jpg

Last edited by xsjohn on August 2, 2006, 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: July 30, 2006, 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Better XS650 Brakes (cheap)

Yep--they shave a bunch of unsprung weight off, too. Some of 'em are a touch thinner and work best with the caliper shimmed a tad to compensate. What pads are you running, John? Ferodo Platinums make a big difference.

PostPosted: July 30, 2006, 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Better XS650 Brakes (cheap)

The disks I found were the same thickness as the originals.
Just been running the stock pads but I will try the Ferodo Platinums
when these wear out. Thanks John Underwood
Photo Gallery
tracker79

PostPosted: July 30, 2006, 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Better XS650 Brakes (cheap)

Great info, its what i have been lookin for. thanks xsjohn
Photo Gallery
blahcap

PostPosted: August 3, 2006, 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Better XS650 Brakes (cheap)

cool i need to change my front brakes any way might ass well just change out the rotor to. what did you go with the xj or the xs?
xsjohn

PostPosted: August 4, 2006, 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Better XS650 Brakes (cheap)

Look at the holes between the rotor mount and the inside edge of the rotor.
You will notice the elongated holes are the larger rotors that fit on the
front and the more squared holes are the 1 inch or so smaller rotors that fit on the the back. Yamaha most likely used the same 2 dies to make these two rotors and just later added the slots. There is most likely more years and models that will work. Just check XS and XJ's that look somewhat smooth. I used XS850 for rear and XJ1100 Maxim for the front
but I am sure that XS1100 fronts will workon the front. The larger fronts either left or righ will work. I used a front left for mine.
Old Yamaha Mechanic John Underwood
Photo Gallery
chapmanmd

PostPosted: August 11, 2006, 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Better XS650 Brakes (cheap)

This is great info guys.

I know that the pre-76 front rotors were smaller than the later rotors.

If a guy wanted to do a dual front brake setup on a 76, what models would interchange?

Thanks in advance.

mellowyellow22

PostPosted: October 22, 2009, 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Better XS650 Brakes (cheap)

What works with a 76?
Joseph

PostPosted: October 22, 2009, 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Better XS650 Brakes (cheap)

While on the brake topic, I've read some ware of an optimum sized hole to drill as compared to disk thickness when drilling rotors anyone know that optimum ratio?

If not alredy there this is good vault info.
Quote::
These are some factory slotted rotors that will fit on your XS650.

82 XJ1100 MAXIM ROTOR LEFT or RIGHT FRONT (Fits front XS650)
82 XS1100 ROTOR LEFT or RIGHT FRONT (Fits front XS650)

1979 Yamaha XS 850 Special Front Left or Right Rotor (Fits rear XS650)

Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 22, 2009, 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Better XS650 Brakes (cheap)

From the vintage brake website:

www.vintagebrake.com/tips.htm

Disc lightening--drilling vs. thinning: both will reduce mass and therefore heat sink capability. Some pluses for drilling.: If the holes drilled are smaller in diameter than the thickness of the disc, surface area is increased. With the right pattern, potential for warpage is decreased. Holes or slots with give the gas bubble created someplace to dissipate. Finally, the thicker disc allows the pads to sit deeper in the caliper, minimizing cocking and enhancing retraction. The down side is that it is very difficult and usually impossible to drill a pattern that will sweep the entire face of the pad, creating uneven pad and disc wear. Thinned discs need to be slotted.

xsleo

PostPosted: October 28, 2009, 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Better XS650 Brakes (cheap)

I used a pair of xs1100 slotted rotors on my 75. They are 5 mm thick. Our 650 rotors are 7 mm thick.
All of our 650's that have the bolt on rotors have the same bolt pattern, all years bolt on all years.
The early two piece rotors have a different offset than the later one piece rotors. The difference is about .20 inches.
They have the different offset to allow for spoke to caliper clearance. The early two piece rotors work with the early two piston calipers.
The later one piece rotor works with the one piston caliper.
They changed the calipers and rotors in 77.
When getting new rotors the big thing to watch for is the diameter. Our 650's use a 11.7 inch on the front and a 10.5 inch on the rear.
The xs 750,850 and 1100 specials used a 10.5 rotor on the front, with a different type caliper. Easy to spot, they were a leading axle front fork. The axle was up on the front off the fork instead of on the bottom.
I learned a lot about this by getting some wrong parts.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
Mikesxs

PostPosted: October 28, 2009, 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Better XS650 Brakes (cheap)

Note: European XS650 77-84 models ( usually Dual Disc ) have the smaller Diameter Disc that we use on our 78-80 rears. The Euro models have lower legs that hold the calipers ( same calipers as USA models) down lower on the fork legs. The smaller Dia. Euro discs therefore have less unsprung weight. A thinner Disc still makes a big difference in the unsprung weight.

Mike @ Mikes XS

Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1