650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > High Performance Modifications > > All the rest > > High Speed Engine Building

High Speed Engine Building
Go to page Previous  1, 2
    Forum Index -> All the rest
xsjohn

PostPosted: October 27, 2009, 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: High Speed Engine Building

Just getting the thing to motor along at 70 on the express without vibrations and engine heat is a decent challenge in itself......getting to 100K and noting all the things that make that happen pleasantly is my goal.......I might be able to help if the post was High Mileage Engine Building....... have some ideas there..... xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Tomterrific

PostPosted: October 27, 2009, 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: High Speed Engine Building

Streamlining and supercharging/turbocharging are the only way this engine will reach anywhere near 150. Chemical supercharging with nitrous oxide is probably the easiest but the least cool.

Rollie Free made the famous bathing suit run on a Vincent.

The Wankle was the supercharger.

Tom Graham
ttmaniac

PostPosted: October 27, 2009, 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: High Speed Engine Building

Quote::
Just getting the thing to motor along at 70 on the express without vibrations and engine heat is a decent challenge in itself

Who's worried about vibrations? I figure at better than 130mph I should catch a really nice buzz.

Streamlining and supercharging/turbocharging are the only way this engine will reach anywhere near 150.

Streamlining would be essential, but I think with excellent aerodynamics that 150 is not unreachable without turbos and supercharging. One way or the other, I'll find out the hard way.
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 27, 2009, 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: High Speed Engine Building

To get 150mph......Lets say you get 65 rwhp, achieveable
then you need to reduce your frontal area to around 5 1/2 square feet (not sure if thats achieveable, including rider)
Then you need a coefficient of drag around 0.5 (needs major streamlining)

www.wallaceracing.com/...0Speed.php

ttmaniac

PostPosted: October 27, 2009, 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: High Speed Engine Building

Then you need a coefficient of drag around 0.5 (needs major streamlining)

I believe I have found a fairing that should work for this. Not sure of it's drag coefficient, but it seems pretty well streamlined. I'm just not gonna spill the beans on it before I begin.

I figure I can mount the fairing and take it for a test run in order to see the performance gains I get using the stock engine along with the fairing. If the original listed top speed for a stock XS was 110mph, I don't think 120 or better is an unreasonable expectation with a stock XS outside of a gear change and some streamlining. Throw a properly built engine in there and it should be a serious rock and roll machine.
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 27, 2009, 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: High Speed Engine Building

Just been checking out Bonneville runs, this car does a 450mph! Check it out & turn it up:

www.saltflats.com/vide...rkland.wmv

Tomterrific

PostPosted: October 27, 2009, 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: High Speed Engine Building

Streamlining and supercharging/turbocharging are the only way this engine will reach anywhere near 150. Chemical supercharging with nitrous oxide is probably the easiest but the least cool.

Rollie Free made the famous bathing suit run on a Vincent.

Tom Graham
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 27, 2009, 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: High Speed Engine Building

Tomterrific wrote:

Yeah, but it still only made 13hp!

jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 28, 2009, 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: High Speed Engine Building

Tomterrific wrote:
Streamlining and supercharging/turbocharging are the only way this engine will reach anywhere near 150.
Tom Graham
the old Norton Manx ran around 150 with less than 50 hp (gearing and streamlining) of course it took a while to get there Laughing if you want to burn down squids TT I would concentrate on handling (burn em thru the corners) the 650 can be made to handle with some rear shocks/swingarm and fork work, a modern ally frame wouldn't hurt either $$$$, but you still wouldn't have that high rpm light switch power that a modern sport bike developes

royfisk

PostPosted: October 28, 2009, 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: High Speed Engine Building

AINT CRACK GREAT????????
Srinath

PostPosted: October 29, 2009, 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: High Speed Engine Building

ttmaniac wrote:

I was gonna sell all my XS stuff but no one had any money and so I kept getting lowballed.

Plus, I'm sick of seeing lame bikes all over. Doesn't anyone outside of xs650 builders ever do anything cool? I never hear any good tone these days, always the same crap running by the house. Besides, I've got more faith in these motors than 99% of the junk being produced today.

Yea this aspect is irritating me. Idiots on craigslist seriously thing they throw some flat black crap on their bike, call it "murdered out" and its suddently a chopper. They put steel rods in the back - lower the bejeebees out of it and its all of a sudden a chopper. Too much garbage for trumped up prices on craigslists around the country. A paint job isn't worth 2g ... its worth 200, and a flat black rattle can job is worth - 1000. especially if you did that on top of a properly painted bike like one guy did on savage forum. Took a beautiful blue set and sprayed flat black.
There is one idiot on craigslist with a 750 virago where he has hammered the tank sides concave bondoed and painted flat black, put a metal plate seat, steel rods in the back and is asking 5g for it. In perfect condition its worth 1500. The shape its in, try 300.

Anyway putting in big $ modifiying it is a sure fire way to lose even more, cos the low balling isn't gonna change. If you eventually want to sell it, dont mod it, unless its missing to start with. Like you get a bike with a broken swingarm. yes, then mod it with a radian swingarm. Else, leave it alone.

Cool.
Srinath.
Tomterrific

PostPosted: October 29, 2009, 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: High Speed Engine Building

Maybe I don't give good streamlining enough credit. I was thinking of only a universal quarter fairing. The fairings common to cafe racers. I can't see how any reliable NA XS engine can hit 150 without a great hand fitted streamliner fairing. Good project just to churn up ideas.

Tom Graham
Tomterrific

PostPosted: October 29, 2009, 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: High Speed Engine Building

Embarassed

Last edited by Tomterrific on October 29, 2009, 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 29, 2009, 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: High Speed Engine Building

Yeah Tom, I think your right, a n/a 650 with a real world useable fairing, is going to be very hard pressed to hit 150, as well as being bloody windy!
You'd probably need 100hp +

Maybe shoot for a more realistic 130mph & work on it from there!

I'd love to see someone have a go at an XS streamliner though........

Forum Index -> All the rest All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2