650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Wheels, Brakes and Controls > > FZR forks and rotors! What calipers?

FZR forks and rotors! What calipers?
    Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls
jmstrand

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 9:25 pm    Post subject: FZR forks and rotors! What calipers?

I've put a set if FZR forks on my XS650 by changing the trees and using FZR trees and stem and races and XS bearings. I also have a set if FZR floating rotors to bolt to a XS front hub (which I'd love to find fir decent price) but for now I bolted rotors to xs mag wheel. I found out that R6 calipers have 100mm spacing between mounting bolts and xs are closer to 83mm center to center mounts. What are you guys doing for calipers? The stock xs rotors and mags weigh a crap ton so looking forward to getting a xs spoked front hub to lace a aluminum rim to for my super moto/tracker.
xsleo

PostPosted: September 4, 2009, 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: FZR forks and rotors! What calipers?

Will the FZR calipers line up with the 650 rotors? If your using the FZR rotors, The FZR calipers should work ok.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
jmstrand

PostPosted: September 10, 2009, 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: FZR forks and rotors! What calipers?

I geuss no matter which way it goes, I either have to space the rotor out or caliper one way or another, or both. Plus I want a set of Brembo calipers and radiall master cylinder, so I'll have to make my own bracketry to mount the caliper anyways. I have e-mailed a couple cats about spacing on R6 and FZR calipers, and they all say 100mm center to center on mouting holes of caliper. My FZR forks measure closer to 83mm center to center. And the older FZR calipers are bulkier and heavier, so I'm looking into getting a set of Brembos of maybe Ducati or Aprillia. It'll shed some weight and give it the "modern" flare Im looking for.
jmstrand

PostPosted: September 14, 2009, 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: FZR forks and rotors! What calipers?

Well I scored some 4 piston Brembos and Brembo master cylinder off Ebay this A.M. from a 2000 Ducati 748, and I also won a 1979 XS650 19 spoked rim that I only need the hub to lace out to a WM3 Sun Anodized Rim. So I'll keep you posted (everyone says that but noone does very often) on how it all goes together and with some pics. I won't be getting to it right away as I have 30 loads of wood to cut before winter gets here.

So as it stands I have a swingarm off from a 1986 radian, forks and triple clamps of a 1994 FZR, dual floating rotors off from a 1996 FZR600, front 4 piston calipers and MC from a 2000 Ducati, charging assemly from a Yamaha Banshee, Pamco Pete igntion, and a shaved the top triple clamp key hole off from the stock FZR aluminum clamp and drilled holes for a Pro-Taper universal black billet 1 1/8 bar clamp mount so I can run motocross bars. and a .75 offset front sprocket from Gary Poh to run a 150/160 tire on the rear without having to space outer clutch cover out.

Now I e-mailed Richard Pollock about what rear hub he uses on his tracker builds and he generally uses a mid nineties Sporty hub (40 spoke) and Ducati rotors and caliper. But having a hard time finding a Sportster hub without paying an arm and leg for the whole wheel, just to use the hub and throw rest away. I'll be lacing that to a WM6 rim.

I also have a super top secret guy that is building me a aluminum gas tank that matches the old XR750 steel tanks to round out that portion and keep it looking like original dirt track but with modern conveneinces. Stay tuned. I just have bare frame and parts now so as I complete (this winter) the build, I'll start a new thread in the tracker section showing what was done and progress.

Justin
xsleo

PostPosted: September 14, 2009, 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: FZR forks and rotors! What calipers?

Sounds like a good project. Have fun.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: September 14, 2009, 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: FZR forks and rotors! What calipers?

If you get a chance snap some pictures so we can see how and what you are doing.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
benjamoid14

PostPosted: September 15, 2009, 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: FZR forks and rotors! What calipers?

just a quick question, does the fzr tree bolt right in with the races and bearings you used? i mean is the length on the stem the same on both bikes?

PostPosted: September 16, 2009, 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: FZR forks and rotors! What calipers?

Yes. FZR has lower steel triple clamp and upper is aluminum. And if you go FZR route you'll have to run a clipon bar or put some form of handlebar clamp on top tree. You prolly also want to cut off the giant stock FZR key hole. I used the XS races that were in the neck and the FZR bearings. All the stock FZR parts will bolt up other than that. Keep in mind that the FZR used a smaller OD axle so if you plan on using mag or spoked XS wheel, it'll need new bearings with a smaller ID. And the FZR rotors physically bolt up to XS wheel but have less offset. So rotors will need to be moved out.
benjamoid14

PostPosted: October 6, 2009, 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: FZR forks and rotors! What calipers?

Actually i plan on running honda cbr600 f3 wheels. So im already gonna be swapping bearings in the wheel. I was also going to be using clipons. It sounds like the fzr tree is wider then the xs tree right? And are the forks taller or shorter?

PostPosted: October 20, 2009, 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: FZR forks and rotors! What calipers?

Can anyone tell me the distance between the fork tubes, and the length of the forks? I just got my wheel and the rotors rub my factory fork tubes Sad

PostPosted: October 21, 2009, 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: FZR forks and rotors! What calipers?

Here's a guide to build caliper mounting brackets

www.chopcult.com/forum...ht=Caliper

mellowyellow22

PostPosted: October 22, 2009, 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: FZR forks and rotors! What calipers?

The distance between the xs fork tubes is 6".

Ive also been trying to update my front end. My bike is a 76. Can someone please confirm for me.... Does the FZR rotor fit my 76? and will my calipers work?. I need new master cylinder also so I was thinking I could by a FZR600 master cylinder calipers and disk off ebay and hopefully bolt them write up. Is this possible?

From what I understand theres a differance between post and pre 76.
jmstrand

PostPosted: October 22, 2009, 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: FZR forks and rotors! What calipers?

Thanks for the link, wish the pics would come up. I was just gonna get my rotors spaced out from the wheels to allow room for the 4 piston Brembos to even go over the floating rotors, once thats done then I'll make a peice of metal that contours arounds the mounting points and measure for depth and machine that out.

I did get the front wheel bolted on today, I looked and called every bearing supplier I could find and couldn't find a bearing to fit the XS hub (47mm OD) and the FZR axle (15mm). So I had a freind machine out a spacer with a OD of 47mm (stock XS OD) and a ID of 42mm to fit my bearing which is a 42x15x13. Stock XS bearings are 14mm wide which worked fine because when the spacer was machined there was no longer a inner flange for the bearing to seat against so we incorporated that into the design with a 1mm width, which still puts my 13mm wide bearing at the same location as the stock XS of 14mm wide. Now to someone reading this don't just go to a machine shop and say I need a 47mm OD with 42mm ID with 1mm lip. Because when dealing with bearings it is paramount that you machine the spacer to the individual bearing. And there will also be "crush" when you press the spacer into the hub, so the ID of the spacer now lost a couple thousandths, which makes a difference because you won't be able to get the bearing in. Just don't want someone to read this and have a shop do it and be mad they lost money cause it didn't work. Thanks for all the tips so far.

i665.photobucket.com/a...0711-1.jpg

I posted this link over in the suspension section in a Radian swingarm topic but I'll post here so you can see some progress. Kepp in mind that I'm not using the rim and tire that is pictured on the XS, just the hub and rotors. Rim will be a black WM3 for front (WM9 rear) with stainless spokes laced to the black powdered hub. I also have the swingarm machined out and HD axle machined down so I'm going to be starting the rear wheel in next month or so.

And the other bikes are ones Ive done in the last couple years, and the car I did when I was 18 (11 years ago)

Thanks guys,

Bishop
jmstrand

PostPosted: October 22, 2009, 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: FZR forks and rotors! What calipers?

Mellow:

No FZR rotors or any that I'm aware of will "work" on a XS. They are bunches of rotors (FZR included) that will "bolt up" to any year XS front wheel, but the rotors have different offsets.
Earz

PostPosted: October 22, 2009, 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: FZR forks and rotors! What calipers?

Step 1. Stick a zip tie to the disc with double sided foam core tape.

Step 2. Position the caliper over the disc and measure the hole spacing. Transfer these measurements to 2 pieces of thin steel.

Step 3. Bolt the caliper to the legs and weld a 3rd piece across the first 2.

Step 4. Use that contraption to transfer the holes to thicker stock. Cut out and finish as desired.

mellowyellow22

PostPosted: October 22, 2009, 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: FZR forks and rotors! What calipers?

So basically as long as I buy a rotor that fits (one on the list) I just need to machine a caliper mount to incorperate the offset and bada big bada boom? or do I need to machine a spacer for the off set?
Earz

PostPosted: October 22, 2009, 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: FZR forks and rotors! What calipers?

Probably both. Depending on the ofset of the rotor
jmstrand

PostPosted: October 23, 2009, 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: FZR forks and rotors! What calipers?

Thanks for posting. That's a great tip

Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1