650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Frames > > How to fit a USD front end on an XS - answer inside.

How to fit a USD front end on an XS - answer inside.
    Forum Index -> Frames
Srinath

PostPosted: October 21, 2009, 2:53 pm    Post subject: How to fit a USD front end on an XS - answer inside.

713-240 SSY500* 25 x 48 x 15.2mm 30 x 48 x 15mm

That is the xs steering stem bearing kit as I have been told.

Most sport bikes especially suzuki Katana and older GSXR's use 25X47 upper and 30 X 55 lower. To fit one of those all you do is buy the XS's tapered bearing set - the above is sudco's specs but any where else - mikesxs, 650central should be the same parts, and fit it on the katana GSXR stem and fit it in the XS stem.

Externally a katana stem looks like its 1/4 inch shorter than the XS'es neck. But teh XS'es lower bearing is recessed. That may help, but then again the stem may be too short overall ... not there yet.

Now a modern upside down fork set, say a GSXR 6/7/1000, TL1000, hayabusa etc etc ... I know suzuki's better than others, but most of the modern ones came with a 30 upper and lower stem and their stems if anything were even longer than the katana ones. So those could fit in easier.
They all used this bearing set.
713-451 SSS903 30 x 55 x 17mm 30 x 55 x 17mm

To run that in the XS neck, you get 2 of the lower beainrgs of the XS and fit them on that stem. The one caveat I can think of in the new style stem is that the lower bearing area can be so short that the bearing inner race may not seat in the higher location needed by the XS. The solution I can think of is to possibly insert a spacer first then seat the outer race in the frame. Then you would need to put a thinner dust seal in the stem before fitting the inner race in it. If the XS seal is too fat, it may have to be cut down or the seal from the original stem used.

I will in a few weeks run the katana one in the XS and check. I suspect the lock and everything in the katana should work in the XS frame.
Cool.
Srinath.
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: October 21, 2009, 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How to fit a USD front end on an XS - answer inside.

A spacer....maybe one of the the old ball bearing races could be used as that spacer?

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
Srinath

PostPosted: October 21, 2009, 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How to fit a USD front end on an XS - answer inside.

I'd turn the outer dia down a shade if using that. You will have a very hard time seating 2 bearing sandwiched together. Spacer should fit snug, but not tight like a bearing, just my thought.

BTW, Old bearing races make excellent seating tools. Turn it down on the OD a shade, weld it up to a plate on the inside and hammer away. To seat a lower race you can add a looooooong all thread bolt in the middle of the plate on the same side as the race so you would fit that whole contraption in the neck put a large washer and a nut on the all thread so the spacer, the bearing and the tool are all held in place and not falling out due to gravity. Then hammer away. As you get the bearing deeper and deeper in tighten the nut to prevent it from rattling and likely getting cocked.

I did that to my SV, I also welded up bad a fork leg to a plate to seat lower bearing inner races.

I welded a bearing and a rod to a plate to make a wheel bearing seating tool. No holding nothing. Bearing, tool into the wheel and hammer away. When the bearing is seated, hammer it out with the rod from the other side. Put spacer in and repeat for the other side.

Cool.
Srinath.

Forum Index -> Frames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1