650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > round hole? stock head q's and possible replacment q's

round hole? stock head q's and possible replacment q's
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
urbandork

PostPosted: October 4, 2009, 2:01 pm    Post subject: round hole? stock head q's and possible replacment q's

Both stock head pipes are leaking throw a round hole near the finned flange at the head.

I was wondering if theres any quick way of fixing it? welding?

the mufflers I have on the bike have grown on me and i was wondering how easy it would be to replace just the head pipes for new ones. Can i uses the ones on Mikesxs and if so which ones?

heres a pic of the bike and mufflers
urbandork

PostPosted: October 4, 2009, 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: round hole? stock head q's and possible replacment q's

oh and yes the hole i on the pipe... after looking at a few pix of stock pipes on ebay ive notice that the hole is there as well.... what does this do??? and is it wise to seal?
royfisk

PostPosted: October 4, 2009, 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: round hole? stock head q's and possible replacment q's

stock head pipes have inner and outer tubes, the hole is there to allow for condensation while the machine is heating up, theres also one in the bottom of the pipe to allow moisture to escape. If you have blow by in the inner pipe it will come out the hole. I would replace the pipe with mikes 07-0757 head pipe. Although you might need to shorten the pipes to fit your mufflers.
wally

PostPosted: October 4, 2009, 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: round hole? stock head q's and possible replacment q's

hI
Great Big
Small question of subject sorry
I also have the same seat on my cafe i was looking at mine the other day & thought I may be able to refitt the battery under the seat in the pocket hole area under the rise at the back of the seat.
Is that were yours is & also what would be the smalest battery you would be able to get away with do do this job
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 4, 2009, 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: round hole? stock head q's and possible replacement q's

Well, you can use an adapter to connect the muffler to the inner pipe available at most auto supply stores:

Here's what the inner pipe looks like:

Here's how it works:

Here's what it looks like:

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 4, 2009, 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: round hole? stock head q's and possible replacment q's

I still don't have my edit back....

The adapter is part number 548520. It's a 1 1/2" to 1 3/8" adapter.

PostPosted: October 5, 2009, 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: round hole? stock head q's and possible replacment q's

royfisk wrote:
stock head pipes have inner and outer tubes, the hole is there to allow for condensation while the machine is heating up, theres also one in the bottom of the pipe to allow moisture to escape. If you have blow by in the inner pipe it will come out the hole. I would replace the pipe with mikes 07-0757 head pipe. Although you might need to shorten the pipes to fit your mufflers.

coolios thanks for the part number drop too
urbandork

PostPosted: October 5, 2009, 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: round hole? stock head q's and possible replacment q's

wally wrote:
hI
Great Big
Small question of subject sorry
I also have the same seat on my cafe i was looking at mine the other day & thought I may be able to refitt the battery under the seat in the pocket hole area under the rise at the back of the seat.
Is that were yours is & also what would be the smalest battery you would be able to get away with do do this job

yup i put it in the hump... ill take some pix and post them up this weekend. I used a seal bat from mikes which i will get the part number for and hit up a thread with pix and info.
wally

PostPosted: October 5, 2009, 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: round hole? stock head q's and possible replacment q's

Thanks heaps

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1