650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Front / Rear Ends and Shocks > > XS850 Front End with Spoked Wheel

XS850 Front End with Spoked Wheel
    Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks
maninthejar

PostPosted: October 3, 2009, 5:29 am    Post subject: XS850 Front End with Spoked Wheel

I have the chance of a complete XS850 with forks in good condition. Searching the forum suggst that fitting these to my XS650C Street Tracker only requires a stem swap.

I haven't seen any mention of using the XS650 spoked wheel in this setup instead of the ugly cast XS850 wheel. Is this possible and if so will the XS850 disks fit? What is required in the way of spacers, wheel bearings, speedo drive etc.

PostPosted: October 3, 2009, 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: XS850 Front End with Spoked Wheel

Is the XS850 a standard or a Special? The XS850 Special has a leading axle and funky brakes that you don't want to mess with. If that's the case, walk away.

I don't know whats involved in mounting XS850 triple trees to the XS650 frame. I believe the XS850 standard and XS850 Special have different trees.

XS650 and XS850 wheels interchange. I believe the XS850 rotors will bolt directly to your hub. If not, they will bolt on to a XS650D or later hub. The XS850 has smaller diameter rotors than the XS650.

maninthejar

PostPosted: October 4, 2009, 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: XS850 Front End with Spoked Wheel

The XS850 is a standard so it looks like everything should be straightforward. I've been offered the whole bike for not a lot of money which means I would have a complete front end. The stanchions had been greased under a set of gaitors so are like new and it also has braided lines as a bonus.

PostPosted: October 4, 2009, 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: XS850 Front End with Spoked Wheel

Go with it. I run the leading axle 850 front end on my bike and wouldnt go back for anything. Yes all you need to do is remove the stem from the 650 lower tree, and the 850 lower tree, and install the stem into the 850's tree. all other 850 parts will bolt right up. the 850's rotors do bolt to the 650's wheels. The only real problam with the disc set up is not over tightening the calipers. They must be able to float. PADS ARE EXPENSIVE. If you want real stopping power check out this site.
www.perfectbrakes.com/...p?cat=8023
emulators and springs are available from progressive.

Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1