650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Flattracker - Streettracker > > Building a Scrambler/Dual sport (56k beware)

Building a Scrambler/Dual sport (56k beware)
Go to page Previous  1, 2
    Forum Index -> Flattracker - Streettracker
bbjsw10

PostPosted: August 6, 2009, 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Scrambler/Dual sport

Well got my clutch done, side cover sealed this time. Installed some 140 mains in the carb, new carb boots on. And I didn't get to ride it tonight, Sad Maybe this weekend, Saturday handlebars should be here, Very Happy Which I can't wait to see. I also have begun talking with Scott about some pipes. He sounds like a pretty cool dude.

Well going to bed, and will get some pics of my bike up this weekend if I get the bars for it on Sat..........Later Bob
bbjsw10

PostPosted: August 8, 2009, 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Building a Scrambler/Dual sport

Well it is Saturday, postman has not dropped off bars yet, Sad And it is raining. Hopefully today I can ride. I got 2 days left on my 30 day tag, and knee surgery on Thursday, which is the only day I can make it to title it and get real tags.

Maybe squeeze in a ride before my surgery Wink

I am also modifying some crutches for next week, they may be my ride for a few days. Rolling Eyes
bbjsw10

PostPosted: August 8, 2009, 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Scrambler/Dual sport

A few pictures how mine sits at this moment. Got my motocross bars put on today too. Smile

Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 8, 2009, 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Scrambler/Dual sport (56k beware)

bbjsw10;
That's a great looking bike. There's just something about the look of the 78 Special. Timeless beauty. A blend of style and function. An engineering masterpiece. oops..............I guess I got carried away, but its all true Cool

bbjsw10

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Building a Scrambler/Dual sport (56k beware)

Retiredgentleman: Thanks, I saw your 78 in pic gallery, could be it's twin.

Here is what I was working on for a couple hours today and last night.

Drilled the rotors, on her. Nice having a drill press and lathe sometimes.
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Scrambler/Dual sport (56k beware)

Nice job on drilling the disks. I found my braking to be better after drilling. Once in awhile I take some 80 grit sandpaper and rough up the disk surfaces, sanding in a radial direction.
bbjsw10

PostPosted: August 9, 2009, 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Scrambler/Dual sport (56k beware)

I actually only did front one for now, I gotta figure out what rims/wheels I'm gonna use. I figure I can still use the front rotor with a factory spoke wheel. Back wheel is still in the air, I want to find a spoke that will work with disc brakes. I don't like the maintenance of cleaning out the drums after some dirty riding. I don't even know if I will end up using the front one yet, though.

Hell I may use totally different forks and swingarm, just depends on what I find through winter, and what money will allow for.
bbjsw10

PostPosted: August 12, 2009, 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Scrambler/Dual sport (56k beware)

I added my voltmeter today, Thanks retiredgentleman for that idea. I love it, lets me see what the hell is going on with it. I felt this was a required item if I was ever going to run off-pavement. I want to know if I need to start worrying and turn back. Stuck in the sticks with no juice would be a bad thing.

Here is a pic of it and the relocated ignition switch. I moved ign. to make room for gauge.

bbjsw10

PostPosted: August 14, 2009, 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Scrambler/Dual sport (56k beware)

One more from down under, Queensland. Now this one I am falling in love with.

bbjsw10

PostPosted: September 13, 2009, 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Scrambler/Dual sport (56k beware)

Well fellas I may be looking to sell this thing. Since I have had knee surgery, I am kinda afraid to ride anymore. Being off of work for a month from this surgery and the amount of bind it put on the checkbook...Well has put some thoughts in my head I can't get out now, what if I was to lay it down and really mess my knee up? I couldn't allow my family to live on my wife's check.

I think I may sell it and fund my other love, Jeeps! I have had 2 Wranglers and would like to get a Cherokee of a CJ preferably a CJ. I like vintage looking stuff. Plus they have a roll cage. Just wish I would have thought about this before I bought the bike, I think my wife is happy in a way, she knows how I ride and it pisses her off. I used to ride MX bikes alot and ride any bike like a mad man at times.

My dad rode all his life and always told me if you start to fear a bike don't ride it, "It is trying to tell you something" he would say. Well one day he had that fear and left with him and fiance on a Goldwing to go to the store and only he came back alive from that ride. I have thought about that alot lately, being off work lets me think too much.

Well give me your 2 cents.

Forum Index -> Flattracker - Streettracker All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2