650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > High Performance Modifications > > All the rest > > Throttle not returning...

Throttle not returning...
    Forum Index -> All the rest
TeeCat

PostPosted: July 18, 2009, 3:35 pm    Post subject: Throttle not returning...

I'm replacing my too-long throttle cables with proper ones from Mike's. I used MMO to lube them but I think it's too thin. The throttle feels unobstructed when I roll it, but even when I pull on each cable pretty hard at the carbs (one at a time) the throttle doesn't want to return easily, so there's no way that the springs on the carbs will pull it back.

I have the cables routed in the factory manner with no apparent severe bends, and it worked fine with the other cables. What can/should I do about this? I can't ride the bike with a sticky throttle. I'll likely have to take it apart again.

Thanks -

TC
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 18, 2009, 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle not returning...

TeeCat wrote:
The throttle feels unobstructed when I roll it, but even when I pull on each cable pretty hard at the carbs (one at a time) the throttle doesn't want to return easily,TC
that will cause a loop in the other cable at the grip...loosen the handlebar clamp and work the throttle sounds like you've got something binding in the grip area, you did grease everything didn't you? cable wire in the slots correctly?

5twins

PostPosted: July 18, 2009, 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle not returning...

deleted

Last edited by 5twins on September 16, 2009, 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
TeeCat

PostPosted: July 18, 2009, 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle not returning...

I'll try motor oil.

It's all apart again. Nope... nothing binding. The assy didn't seem to need grease, but maybe it does. Can I use regular auto lube... the brownish stuff? And do I have to slide the throttle all the way off the bar? It seems to move freely when the cables are disconnected and when rolling on it... it just won't return at all, even after length adjustments.

TC
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 18, 2009, 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle not returning...

if the carbs snap back without the cables and the grip rotates freely without the cables, what does that leave? the cable ends go into their cutouts and the cable wires fit into the slots on the grip going down into the lower clamp and then the lenght of the housing, put the handlebar assemble together with the cables and make sure they work freely then run them back to the carbs, there is a kind of hump on the twist grip that stops the throttle from going to far one way or the other but if you have it in wrong the grip won't turn
TeeCat

PostPosted: July 18, 2009, 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle not returning...

I just finished lubing the throttle internals with grease. Tomorrow, I'll get some Motion Pro lube between the throttle sleeve and the handlebar, and get some motor oil into the cable housings.

Yes, I'm quite sure this is a lubrication issue with the cables themselves. Hopefully, once I get that sorted, it will be okay, because it worked with the other cables. I don't think that MMO worked as a cable lube.

TC
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 18, 2009, 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle not returning...

just a thought some cables have a nylon/plactic sleeve inside the MMO might have swelled them, do the cable inside wires move freely?
TeeCat

PostPosted: July 18, 2009, 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle not returning...

Well, they do when they're not connected, and feel fine when I roll on the throttle, but there's no springback or return. It has to be a cable issue because it was fine with the other cables. I'll try to lube the new ones better, especially at the 90-degree turn right out of the throttle housing.

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue on a cable change.
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: July 19, 2009, 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle not returning...

Okay, here's a thought:

jayel, as you mentioned, one of the cables, the RIGHT one at the throttle, has a slightly larger radius at its metal housing, and therefore may be slightly longer. Should this cable CROSS the bike and operate the LEFT carb? I had them right to right, left to left yesterday, but now I'm wondering if the right cable at the throttle should go to the left carb.

Also, there are two tiny rubber sleeves that fit over the "elbows where they insert into the throttle assy. The elbows will not go in because of them. Are they necessary? I'd just as soon remove them and eliminate one headache. The old cables don't have them.

TC
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: July 19, 2009, 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle not returning...

Arrow

Last edited by 5twins on September 16, 2009, 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
TeeCat

PostPosted: July 19, 2009, 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle not returning...

Yup... lubed everything up and got the throttle snapping back nicely with the cables temporarily routed. Part of the issue was that my bar-end mirror was lightly contacting the throttle grip in one little place. Trimmed the latter a tad, and it seems fine.

Now it's just a matter of securing the cables with a couple zip ties and all should be okay.

Thanks again, guys.

TC
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 19, 2009, 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle not returning...

see I knew you could do it Laughing
5twins

PostPosted: July 19, 2009, 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle not returning...

Yep, now check those valves Smile
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 19, 2009, 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle not returning...

TeeCat wrote:
Okay, here's a thought:

but now I'm wondering if the right cable at the throttle should go to the left carb.

Also, there are two tiny rubber sleeves that fit over the "elbows where they insert into the throttle assy. The elbows will not go in because of them. Are they necessary? I'd just as soon remove them and eliminate one headache. The old cables don't have them.

TC
no I'd run them right to right,... do the cable ends fit up into the clamp piece without the sleeves? if they go in with out slopping around I wouldn't see why you need them, maybe they are used on a different style clamp and make for a tighter fit

TeeCat

PostPosted: July 20, 2009, 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle not returning...

jayel... I did end up routing the cables the way you suggested. I just need to zip tie them to make sure there's no excess movement. I also need to install the new decompression cable... that's no biggie.

5twins... I got new gaskets for the valve covers, so I'll have to find some time in the coming weeks to check the valves.

TC
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 20, 2009, 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle not returning...

5Twins was wanting you to check the valves, don't know what that has to do with carb cables but couldn't hurt, just set the cam chain first,.....
and while you're at it lube and check drive chain, polish cases, drain and replace fork oil, check/re-grease steering bearings, inspect and remove any little rocks in the tire treads balance tires, polish underside of motor and the complete frame ect.

TeeCat

PostPosted: July 21, 2009, 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle not returning...

All out of Q-tips... dammit! Off to CVS!
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: July 23, 2009, 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle not returning...

I went out there yesterday and finished buttoning up the throttle cables and installed the new decompression lever cable. I checked everything for clearance and buttoned things up neatly/loosely with zip ties, and made the adjustments. All seems to be set and I'll road test when I get back from a little trip. But it sure is nice to have the front end unobscured by ill-fitting cables.

Gotta polish my fork lowers too...

TC
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> All the rest All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1