650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Flattracker - Streettracker > > Building a Scrambler/Dual sport (56k beware)

Building a Scrambler/Dual sport (56k beware)
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Flattracker - Streettracker
bbjsw10

PostPosted: July 14, 2009, 9:31 pm    Post subject: Building a Scrambler/Dual sport (56k beware)

I picked up a 78 Special last Thursday, I was planning a hardtail Bobber. Until I ran across this picture.

Wish this was mine.

I want to do that now, I have always wanted a Dual-sport and love the sound of this 650, the whole reason I bought this bike was the sound of the twin.

My first question is does anyone know who makes the exhaust on the bike pictured? I love how that just fits the whole dirt-bike look.

I am also wondering about using 2" over fork tubes to give it a little more height. I am 6' tall and like a higher seat height.

I am also wanting to know about longer springs on the swingarm. I have 13" springs at the moment. The previous owner just put these on like 2 months ago. So could I possibly just make a few more mount points on the swingarm to get the extra rear height without replacing the springs.

Last question for now, a source for the tanks pads, I may make my own of these too.

Any help would be great for this 1st time XS owner.

Last edited by bbjsw10 on August 8, 2009, 8:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
georelle

PostPosted: July 14, 2009, 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Scrambler got questions

Welcome. That is a great looking bike.
You can get the exhaust at Mikesxs.com. It is the tapered muffler and replacement head pipes. I have the same mufflers on my bobber and I like the sound.
I think the 2" over fork tubes might change the look quite a bit.
I would also like to know where the knee pads came from.
Good luck on the build and keep us posted.

Georelle

'02 Suzuki VZ800
'78 Honda CM185T
Photo Gallery
ghostyder

PostPosted: July 15, 2009, 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Building a Scrambler got questions

as for the rear end in that pic, the swingarm is not stock, nor should it be for that bike. very cool, good luck.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: July 15, 2009, 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Building a Scrambler got questions

It is a fine looking bike. Looks rather like something Steve McQueen would have been seen riding doesn't it? Very cool.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
metalredneck

PostPosted: July 15, 2009, 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Building a Scrambler got questions

Nice machine! That's kinda what I started building when this just happened:

PostPosted: July 15, 2009, 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Scrambler got questions

Welcome to the XS world.

Headpipes look a bit different than mikesxs.net. The ones in the picture seem to have more of a kick up at the rear. Mike's has some similar. The mufflers in the picture look like sportster mufflers. I have a decent pair I would let go cheap. PM me if you are really interested. The mufflers can be seen in my gallery on some of the early pictures. A few of the late pictures have the replacement headpipes that I bought from mikes

You are limited in the rear by going up too much due to interference of the chain with the swingarm at the pivot. And gohst is right, the swingarm in the picture is not stock...maybe from a Radian?

Not sure about the forks. If you change one end without the other you are going to mess with the handling.

Knee pads like these are available from Omarsdtr.com

JeffM

PostPosted: July 15, 2009, 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Scrambler got questions

I have considered doing 'desert sled' dual-sport/enduro/scrambler type bike with my xs2 and that silver bike is definately inspirational.

I don't think those pipes are Mikes... they have quite a distinctive bend and look like stainless to me. Gordon Scott mysite.verizon.net/res...p/id7.html on this site does some really cool custom pipes... personally I like the look of high pipes on a scrambler.

The tank pads are 70's 'home market' Triumph I believe... www.britcycle.com/Prod...eepads.htm
Britcycle has some really nice seats as well. Omarsdtr.com has knee pads as well as exhausts and shocks.

I think chain to swingarm clearance will be the limiting factor on longer shocks, can't help you with what that limit is though...

Royfisk on this site is building a really nice scrambler, its well worth searching his posts.

Metalredneck... Took me a while to 'get' your bike; first reaction was WTF? But it truly has its own bad ass, ride anywhere/anytime, death or glory attitude... gotta like it.
ady66

PostPosted: July 15, 2009, 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Scrambler got questions

More of a head turner than a bobber (for my head anyway) - not so many people go down that route. Stylish, practical and I bet it sounds great too. I used to have a set of Renthal off road bars on my old XS but they looked too modern - those chrome bars and the seat look just right. Can't help but imagine an old Triumph tank on there.....

Ady
ady66

PostPosted: July 15, 2009, 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Scrambler got questions

Jeff M wrote

Quote::
I think chain to swingarm clearance will be the limiting factor on longer shocks, can't help you with what that limit is though...

I tried 360 mm eye to eye on mine - clearance was OK at a standstill but on a bumpy road the chain took metal off the swingarm. Could always run a hillclimb rear sprocket Smile

Ady
JeffM

PostPosted: July 15, 2009, 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Scrambler got questions

'Could always run a hillclimb rear sprocket '
Helps with the wheelies too!

Here's another shot of the silver bike...
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: July 15, 2009, 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Scrambler got questions

And another that looks the same. Real dirt
Photo Gallery
bbjsw10

PostPosted: July 15, 2009, 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Scrambler got questions

Wow, what a day will do on here. Thanks guys for all the input. I may make my own pipes for mine the way it is looking. I will just re-use my head pipes they look really good still.

JeffM, that knee pad link is killer thanks man. They have all kinds of good stuff on there.

I am thinking about just welding some bracing on the bottom side of swingarm and adding a couple more mount spots. I am going to go to a 38 tooth rear sprocket, I don't ride the highways much and the lower gearing would help in the woods.

I like the high pipes but my wife wouldn't, they might burn her hot little legs and I don't want that happening.
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: July 15, 2009, 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Scrambler got questions

metalredneck wrote:
Nice machine! That's kinda what I started building when this just happened:

Laughing Laughing I know the feeling. Happens when freeforming, have the same trouble when i do a carving.
Photo Gallery
bbjsw10

PostPosted: July 15, 2009, 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Scrambler got questions

Thanks for the pictures, now I am 100% sure I am doing this now. That is bad ass, Imagine the sound of these motors in the woods.
bbjsw10

PostPosted: July 15, 2009, 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Scrambler got questions

I can't stop looking at my other frame in the garage for this project. Looks way too tempting.

Here it is.

It is a 1977 Yamaha YZ250 the only bad thing is no Title for it and no way to plate it easily. Other wise I would have started chopping and putting the XS motor in it.
tacoswild

PostPosted: July 15, 2009, 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Scrambler got questions

This might be of interest.

thekneeslider.com/arch...onversion/

If you've never been to to that site I apologize in advance for all the time you're about to lose going through the archives.
JeffM

PostPosted: July 16, 2009, 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Building a Scrambler got questions

I apologize in advance for all the time you're about to lose going through the archives.[/quote]

It's okay your forgiven... even though I am likely to lose some sleep over it!! Man, there is some creative/obsessive folks out there.

Off topic, but here is another gixxer conversion... hillclimber/sanddragger built by my local shop. Looks fun.
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: July 16, 2009, 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Scrambler got questions

tacoswild, Thanks for the link!!

PostPosted: August 1, 2009, 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Scrambler got questions

Well I have found 2 donor bikes for my project so far, a 1987 KTM 250 mxc which has inverted forks, disc brakes front and rear, headlight fairing, wheels tires and such.

The KTM I haven't purchased it yet.

I also tracked down a 1986 XT600 that I am trying to buy the front and rear suspension from including the tires, brakes, swingarm, etc. No plastics from this bike though he is too rich for my blood at this time.

The thing I like about the KTM is the inverted forks look more modern, and the fact I would get some fenders and headlight fairing. The thing I don't like is that KTM parts are a little harder to find, but I am only using the suspension and some plastics from it. I would also have to modify the swingarm for the correct disc brake side and drive side, no biggy just more time.

The thing I like about the XT is that it is Yamaha, enough said. The thing I don't like is that I won't get any body panels at all from this bike, which means I would have to spend more money.

I need to figure out which to pursue more. I wanna have a nice looking bike after all is said and done but not spend a fortune on it, if I wanted to do that I would have just bought a XT600 or a XR650.

Hopefully I will know more by morning which way to go. BTW I am getting the XT parts for around $150 or I could get the hole KTM for around that price. Decisions, decisions.

P.S. this is what I am trying to do now, more modern looking and better suspension.

bbjsw10

PostPosted: August 3, 2009, 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Scrambler got questions

Well, a no go on KTM or XR parts. Ran outta money again. Had to buy Hi-po clutch, clutch springs, carb boots, side cover gasket (twice don't ask) handlebars like on the silver one (yeah I didn't need them but they will look nice. All in all I blew $300 at Mikesxs, in my first two orders. They are a God-send for these bikes.

I sold the 77 YZ250 for $150 to fund this a little more. I didn't like the idea of using it for this project, the suspension was not that good on those bikes. I wanna do newer cartridge sytle forks but can't afford them right now. Maybe over winter, for now I wanna ride this XS when I get it back together I will post a couple pics of it, up for you guys pretty clean bike I think.

I also had to get main jets for Mike's, bike is a lil lean up top that is why I went ahead with a little teardown session. I don't like lean.

One question for you guys, I wanna ditch my mags for some spokes. But I don't wanna ditch the disc brakes....... What would be a good back wheel to use in that case?????? I don't mind a little bit of fab work and have access to a lathe at fathers house.

Thanks and hopefully I will get some parts on Thursday and start working on her again.
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 3, 2009, 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Scrambler got questions

bbjsw10 wrote:
they might burn her hot little legs and I don't want that happening.

Couldn't you do the high pipes and fab up some perforated heat shields? Hi temp black paint on them? You sound like you could.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
bbjsw10

PostPosted: August 4, 2009, 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Scrambler got questions

pumps wrote:
bbjsw10 wrote:
they might burn her hot little legs and I don't want that happening.

Couldn't you do the high pipes and fab up some perforated heat shields? Hi temp black paint on them? You sound like you could.

Possibly, wouldn't be that tough. I was thinking about a high pipe that runs in behind the frame like a dirt bike has.

I am thinking I am just going to do the silver scrambler style for now. See if I like dual-sport or not. Then next winter go wild with it, but who knows maybe I will this winter yet. They get kinda long in Ohio, bored outta my mind most winters.
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 4, 2009, 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Scrambler/Dual sport

Not exactly like this but you get the high pipe scrambler idea with the shields.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
bbjsw10

PostPosted: August 4, 2009, 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Scrambler/Dual sport

What do you guys think of a high mounted chrome front fender like the old BSA's had?
kbike.smugmug.com/phot...2316-M.jpg

Pumps, thanks for the image puts ideas in my head.

Forum Index -> Flattracker - Streettracker All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2