650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Front / Rear Ends and Shocks > > Longer Forks for 650XS?

Longer Forks for 650XS?
    Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks
Midnight_Special

PostPosted: June 9, 2009, 11:00 pm    Post subject: Longer Forks for 650XS?

Im looking to put longer forks on my 80 xs650. Does any one know what I could use? I dont want to buy aftermarket. Id rather use stock yamaha parts if possible. Thanks
Teebs

PostPosted: June 9, 2009, 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Longer Forks for 650XS?

Finding longer OEM Yamaha fork tubes in the right diameter (34 or 35 mm depending on the year of your bike) would be the easiest way to go, if it's possible.

Here is a list of fork tubes by diameter: dotheton.com/index.php?topic=1090.0

Somebody will probably come up with a better answer. But it's a place to start.

If you haven't already, you should drop this question on thechopperunderground.
ghostyder

PostPosted: June 10, 2009, 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Longer Forks for 650XS?

forks by frank is another i believe.

PostPosted: June 10, 2009, 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: Longer Forks for 650XS?

Yeah ghostyder, I thought of that but I figured since he said no aftermarket, that would probably exclude forks by frank.

MS, why no aftermarket, specifically?
xsleo

PostPosted: June 11, 2009, 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Longer Forks for 650XS?

I think Mike's sells longer tubes. Franks sells longer tubes. Either way you would need to tear down your forks to install the longer tubes.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
bigjimmyw13

PostPosted: October 31, 2009, 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Longer Forks for 650XS?

I know this is a resurrection post, but what about springs for extended forks? Any suggestions?

PostPosted: November 8, 2009, 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Longer Forks for 650XS?

Adding an extra spacer the same length as the extra length of the tubes, and adding extra oil to match the extra length of the tubes will make them work.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
thorshammer

PostPosted: December 26, 2009, 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Longer Forks for 650XS?

You can use some of the dirt bike fork tubes but do not add extra oil the oil in the front forks is in the bottom of the forks adding more oil will most likly blow out your seals and the spacer sits on top of the springs under the top caps.

Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1