650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > After Market Products > > Pamco - Electronic Ignitions > > Pamcopete's electronic ignition

Pamcopete's electronic ignition
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
    Forum Index -> Pamco - Electronic Ignitions
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: April 27, 2009, 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

Cheers, the thing is a have bought and installed the ones from mikes when i did the dual lobe cam...........I wounder what the effect difference is/would be, having one of each of the iridium plugs, meaning with the fruity 2 tip, (as you call it), having a longer shank...........is the spark from one further in the cylinder than the other................if that makes seance
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 27, 2009, 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

650skull

Autolite makes a "double Platinum" plug, #APP3923 which I have used in my '81/H with Mikes "Green Monster" coil. I am currently using Autolites #63, which is the equivalent to the NGK BPR7ES, so what's with that?

Well...they were on sale for, like, a $1.....I rarely keep plugs in my bike for very long as I am always testing various plugs with my system, so I can't really say much about logevity. I think that the main advantage to using a "flame thrower" coil such as Mikes new "Green Monster" is that you can widen the gap without suffering from poor starting.

A wider gap exposes more of the mixture to the spark to ensure that the spark will encounter the correct proportion of fuel and air. The mixture is just that, a mixture that is not consistant in it's proportion of fuel and air. The mixture contains molecular pockets of just air or just fuel or other combinations of air and fuel that are nor ideal for combustion, so having a wider gap exposes more of the mixture to the heat of the spark.

It's also important to keep the plugs clean, and as the engine ages, you are going to get a certain amount of carbon build up on the porcelain insulator which forms a path to short out the spark, so using a less expensive plug makes it less painful to change the plugs more often.

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: April 27, 2009, 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

Also the tiny centre electrode creates less of a shadow, this allows better ignition at the same plug gap. This is what enables the 2 hp gain that Mikes claims!

This is why they make platinum/iridium type plugs at all. If they made tiny standard type centre electrodes, they would not last very long at all.

The precious metals can withstand heat much better, so they can be made smaller, which is better for a more even ignition!

xsjohn

PostPosted: April 27, 2009, 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

Have Autolite 64's in my 8-1 meter reader........maybe going on the 3rd year same plugs......has to be closing on 15 thou on them......nothing wrong with them either....runs out medium grey too..........basically I don't even think about plugs any more....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: April 27, 2009, 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

Pete, do you have a preferred plug and gap for your system? Sorry if you said so already and i missed it... have seen that opinions are many and varied.

TC
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 27, 2009, 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

You may want to consider changing over to 5/8 Hex spark plugs instead of the stock 13/16 because of the greater variety of new plugs that are available in the 5/8th hex style. Here is a quick guide to plugs that are compatible. They are all resistor plugs, as are all new design plugs.

NGK Stock

FR4 5155
FR5 7373 (Hotter)

NGK Stock

BCPR7ES
BCPR5ES 7496 (Hotter)

Bosh Stock

FR8DPX 4202 (Platinum)

Bosch Stock ( My Personal Choice for best cost/performance)

FR8DCX 7557
FR10DCX 7563 (Hotter)

The best performing plug is the Bosh Platinum FR8DPX, but it is expensive and there is a limited heat range available.

Generally speaking, these plugs are manufactured in greater quantity because they are OEM for most cars on the road today. They also are on sale more often for the same reason.

Lately I have added the Autolite #63 or #62, and there is nothing wrong with the standard NGK BP7ES or BPR7ES.

If you have a "Flame Thrower" coil, like Mikes new Green Monster, which produces 75 Kvolts, then set the gap at .040. Otherwise, just use the standard gap, .028. The wider gap makes for a better initial kernal of flame because it is exposed to more of the mixture, but if you don't have a flame thrower coil, it may not start as well.

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: April 28, 2009, 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

pamcopete, i bought the iridium plugs of mikes long before the new coils came out, bought one of the dual out put coils when i bought the dual lobe cam..........wasn't having any trouble starting with this set up
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 28, 2009, 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

650skull

What is your plug gap?

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: April 28, 2009, 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

pamcopete .030...........around 100k's i would get some pinking, i thought that was a bit strange because she wasn't under any load and it would only happen in 5th Question
Photo Gallery
shmuckingham

PostPosted: April 30, 2009, 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

bought the kit- pamco ignition/wires/boots/dualoutput(black) coil. from mikes xs.(btw- what is the difference between the green coil and black one they offer besides price and color?? they both say high performance) going to throw it on my 1973 tx 650 maybe tomrw. cant wait to ride!!
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 1, 2009, 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

shmuckingham

The green coil produces up to 75 K volts. The black coil about 30 K volts. The higher voltage green coil allows you to increase yolur plug gap to .040 for smoother running because a larger gap exposes more of the mixture to the heat of the spark. The higher voltage also compensates for the higher voltage requirement of the positive voltage plug, which can require up to 40% higher voltage to jump the gap. The higher voltage green coil will also start better because it will produce a higher voltage with a lower battery voltage.

PostPosted: June 5, 2009, 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

Hi Pete, just double checking here. The green wire from your unit is the only wire on the neg terminal of mikes black twin fire coil, right? Thanks
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 5, 2009, 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

Razar wrote:
Hi Pete, just double checking here. The green wire from your unit is the only wire on the neg terminal of mikes black twin fire coil, right? Thanks

Razar,

That's right.

Where did the expression "More than one way to skin a cat" come from? It's probably not what you think it is!

PostPosted: June 5, 2009, 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Pamcopete's electronic ignition

Cheers

Forum Index -> Pamco - Electronic Ignitions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5