650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
-cub-

PostPosted: January 21, 2009, 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

loving those exhausts. looking for somthing similar for mine, any ideas where's a good place to start? (in the uk)
scotts

PostPosted: January 22, 2009, 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

I got mine from ebay. Search for Triumph or cocktail shaker mufflers.
Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

I'm actually having second thoughts on the headlight. It's not the headlight so much as the mounting. I had to bend and tweak some headlight brackets that mount on the forks. It just looks sorta.....ghetto, to me.
I'm considering using the stock headlight, just lowered. How does the mini-light look to you guys? Just keep what I have or???

Photo Gallery
oms1981

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

I personally love the mini headlight. in my opinion, if you are trying to go for bratstyle bike a small headlight is essential. But again, my opinion. Where did you get that headlight from? They are from some type of scooter right? I really like that style, but so far I have not been able to find any info on it. I was thinking about going with a Honda SL125 headlight for mine.
Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

Puch moped headlight from ebay with a 4" halogen bulb from Dennis Kirk.
Photo Gallery
ted650chopper

PostPosted: May 14, 2009, 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

Looks to be a good start. BratStyle is where it's at. Its becoming a popular style. I'm not sure though if Go Takamine knows how many guys in the states Dig his style..

Check out this Bratstyle xs by Bryan Hall. He built it for his wife.

noid-my_rides_079.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  446.73 KB
 Viewed:  330 Time(s)

noid-my_rides_079.jpg

noid-my_rides_079.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  231 Time(s)

noid-my_rides_079.jpg

noid-my_rides_079.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  243 Time(s)

noid-my_rides_079.jpg

PostPosted: May 15, 2009, 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

I have that same headlight sitting on a shelf in my garage waiting for the right time to throw on my bike. Good to see it mocked up on yours! Smile

Personally, I'd see if shorter mounts were available, or I'd rig something up. Don't think it's the size that's throwing it off a bit, but rather the fact that it sticks out a bit too much. Looking like a nice project!
scotts

PostPosted: May 15, 2009, 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

Well, it just about HAS to be that far out if you want to see the tach that will be mounted in it. I guess I'll use it and see if I can come up with a cleaner mount sometime.
Photo Gallery
oms1981

PostPosted: May 15, 2009, 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

DaveB wrote:
I have that same headlight sitting on a shelf in my garage waiting for the right time to throw on my bike. Good to see it mocked up on yours! Smile

Personally, I'd see if shorter mounts were available, or I'd rig something up. Don't think it's the size that's throwing it off a bit, but rather the fact that it sticks out a bit too much. Looking like a nice project!

Yeah I think I agree with this. If you could somehow mount it on shorter brackets, it may look better. I think it's a cool light though.

If you wanted something that was not quite as long, check out one of these:

SL 125

That's what I'm thinking about going with. Looks like the diameter might be a little bigger too, but I'm not positive on that. to me, this looks very similar to the type of lights you see on a lot of the bikes from the Bratstyle and Gravel Crew shops, like these for example:

pic
pic
pic
pic

Maybe not exact, but close. I think it's a very smooth looking light.
Photo Gallery
oms1981

PostPosted: May 15, 2009, 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

oh yeah, i forgot that a gauge gets mounted in it. I personally think it's fine how it is, but it's your bike so it needs to be to your liking more than anyone else's. great looking build so far, btw
Photo Gallery
coheed

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

Anything new on this bike?
This is exactly what I want my bike to look like, with a little bobber style thrown in.
fasteddie

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

Nice '82! I have one as well. Great all around look so far... keep up the good work!
Photo Gallery
wally

PostPosted: May 20, 2009, 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

Hi Looking Cool
I like the pea shooter mufflers in time I may fit them to my cafe
do they bolt straight on to header pipes?
cretin75xs650

PostPosted: May 20, 2009, 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

Like the look, I was wondering if you have the a template of the seat pan? I'm trying to finish my 81 XS650 and need a seat. I have a tail section but am hesitant to cut the frame to mount. I like the brat style seat. Email me at cycleryder02 @ aol.com if you have a template.
Thanks

scotts

PostPosted: May 20, 2009, 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

wally wrote:
Hi Looking Cool
I like the pea shooter mufflers in time I may fit them to my cafe
do they bolt straight on to header pipes?

I'm running stock headpipes from an eariler bike and I had to grind down the o.d. of the pipes just a bit to make them fit. They fit nice and tight, though, much better than using reducers.
Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: June 5, 2009, 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

The pics just don't do it justice. You should see the metalflake glittering in the sun. There's a fine, graphite colored pinstripe that snakes around and above and below the scallops. It's simply kick-ass.

Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: June 5, 2009, 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

The side covers, headlight and fender. Notice how the headlight and fender match.

Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: June 5, 2009, 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

And some pics of the completed bike. It runs great; really strong. The pipes sound awesome. It IS low..I can drag the kick stand if I try. The ride is really nice with the Rebel shocks, though. Like most XS's, it could use a minor adjustment on the clutch. It goes up through the gears fine. It's a little stiff coming down and neutral, of course, can be tough to find. Otherwise, she's ready to ride!

Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: June 5, 2009, 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

I have some smaller mirrors on the way. I'll take some better overall pics soon, too!

Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 5, 2009, 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

Scott,

Looking good!

PostPosted: June 5, 2009, 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

I just got done with this whole thread.Looks GREAT !!! I was thinking of trying that with the rear fender.Now I know it can be done.I was also wanting a smaller light,but I'm a little skeerd of all that wiring.This site seems like it will help me through all of that though.
georelle

PostPosted: June 5, 2009, 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

Wow! Now that I like! Very nice. I was convinced my current build was going to be a stock restore.... but now?????
Good work. Glad it turned out so nice for you.
Georelle

'02 Suzuki VZ800
'78 Honda CM185T
Photo Gallery
Joseph

PostPosted: June 5, 2009, 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

Scotts looks great. What material did you use for the seat pan?
Photo Gallery
sinister_customs

PostPosted: June 6, 2009, 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: My Brat Style build: Another Craigslist find

here is my bratstyle build i put together this past month or so. still tuning carbs otherwise almost done. the pipes i made out of cl350 scrambler headers and the mufflers are MAC pipes cut short along with the baffles and welded back together. very fun to ride!

650rider.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  125.61 KB
 Viewed:  282 Time(s)

650rider.jpg

003.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  125.77 KB
 Viewed:  284 Time(s)

003.jpg

rider1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  83.03 KB
 Viewed:  258 Time(s)

rider1.jpg

Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5