650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Frames > > getting engine back in...

getting engine back in...
    Forum Index -> Frames
Emzdogz
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 8:53 am    Post subject: getting engine back in...

So I had the hardtail put on my bike a couple years ago and the project has just sat. Started back up on it a few weeks ago. Went to put the engine back in this weekend, just because I feel it really needs to be IN the frame for alot of the rest of the build.

Problem is, I'm working by myself and I'm having a really hard time getting it all to line up.

One thing is, it seems the bottom engine mounts - the one that the one real long bolt goes through - are now a bit too close together. So I ground them down just a bit. Still can't get that part of the engine to go between the mounts. When I measure it seems to be pretty close.

Question: how tight are those supposed to fit onto the engine? Like should those be far enough apart that it goes right in even with a bit of clearance between frame and engine? OR is it suppsoed to be so tight that it kind of really "pinches" the engine and you have to tap or hammer the engine into those mounts?

My other thought is maybe the engine doesn't even really fit anymore with the neck raked and surgery done to backbone while hardtialing. But, it DOES look like it should all line up...so I'm not gonna freak out yet.

When you all put an engine back in, which mount do you normally fasten up first? Like the back mount? At one point I almost had it so that one mount I could stic the bolt through. Almost. It was just off far enough that the bolt couldn't go through. Like by a hair. COuldn't seem to smack it into place. And anyway, those bottom mounts I mentioned weren't lined up.
arghhhhhhhh.......

If someone could please let me know how tight those bottom mounts are suppsoed to contact the engine that would be great. Like my guess is there's actually supposed to be a tad of clearance there? Like you should at least be able to stick a business card or something between the mounts and the engine.
Or?

thanks!
Smile
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: getting engine back in...

It's pretty tight in there! A coat of paint can sometimes make a difference!
I'm guessing the frame mods were done sans motor?
Same as ever, when you stuff with one thing, sure as eggs your going to have to stuff with another!

Not that I think it's a great idea, but maybe with the engine out, you could use a porta power (or a well placed jack) to push the frame apart a touch?
I'd probably try that before grinding anymore frame away!

Emzdogz
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: getting engine back in...

thanks Yamaman....

here's one more request...if anyone has an engineless frame they could go look it: could you measure for me the exact space between the two bottom engine mounts?

thanks!
calicruiser

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: getting engine back in...

the motor mounts should be tight. No real clearance to speak of. If the frame was painted or powdercoated you will need to grind it off where the motor meets the mount that is the tolerance we are talking about. You should get the bottom bolt through first and then the back lower and upper mount. Then front and finally top. These can be a bitch sometimes especially if the backbone was modified or if it was not done in a jig of some sort. Just keep wrestling with it. you will get it.

josh
calicruiser

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: getting engine back in...

Emzdogz wrote:
thanks Yamaman....

here's one more request...if anyone has an engineless frame they could go look it: could you measure for me the exact space between the two bottom engine mounts?

thanks!

it should be 9 1/4" from center of motor mount to center of motor mount. not sure of the space in between.
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: getting engine back in...

Even with an unmodified frame it can be awkward!
If you've got any sunshine happening there, it might help if you sit the frame in it for a couple of hours!

Emzdogz
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: getting engine back in...

thanks Josh, and again yamaman. Much appreciated!
this is very helpful info.
Smile
will let you know when I get it.
Emzdogz
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 5, 2009, 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: getting engine back in...

Got the engine in. Had to spread the bottom rails a bit with a jack. Only prob is, in spreading them outward a bit the holes are now slightly higher so the bottom mount doesn't line up exactly. When I go to stick that real long bolt that goes all the way across under the engine, it hits a lip of the engine case that dowsn't quite line up. Its just a tiny bit, but I can't move the engine anymore and it does line up with the other mounts now. So I really believe this is a side effect of the cutting and re-welding of the frame when hardtailing it. (I didn't do that part myself)

Anyway, its really close!

so..I'm wondering about just drilling through there very slightly - just enough to relieve it enough so I can stick the bolt through.

Anybody have an opinion on that?
Would that be considered pretty typical to have to do to the frame of a chopper? (just ream a mount hole out a bit)
The only other option would be to take the frame apart and re-do that area, but to be honest I can't imagine it getting any closer on a 2nd go-around.

thanks!
calicruiser

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: getting engine back in...

i would just drill it out if it is that close. shouldn't hurt a thing.
Emzdogz
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: getting engine back in...

calicruiser wrote:
i would just drill it out if it is that close. shouldn't hurt a thing.

thanks. will do. Got the front end back on and the back wheel. Starting to resemble a motorcycle, kinda.
Smile

Forum Index -> Frames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1