650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > General site issues and information > > Painting XS tank

Painting XS tank
    Forum Index -> General site issues and information
xsthomas

PostPosted: May 24, 2008, 9:58 am    Post subject: Painting XS tank

I am sure this topic has been done to death, but here goes. I need to paint my tank. is there any rattle can paint that is resistant to gas.

xsthomas
Photo Gallery
Cooltouch

PostPosted: May 24, 2008, 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Painting XS tank

Hi Thomas,

There are no rattle can paints that I know of that are resistant to gas. You pretty much have to use a two-part automotive style paint (or clear coat). What I've done in the past was to use rattle can paint for the base coat and then shot the tank with two-part clear. That worked well.

So to do it right, you'll need a paint gun, a compressor, one of those plastic water separator bulbs you can get at the auto paint supply where you get the paint (or clear coat), and last, but not least, a respirator. Not a mask, but a respirator. Oh, and be sure to clean the gun real well once you're done, because once that two-part stuff sets up, you'll never get it out of the nozzle holes.

Best,

Michael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
greaser6755

PostPosted: May 24, 2008, 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Painting XS tank

I paint cars and bikes for a living and I do not know of any rattlecan paint that is resistant to gasoline. Then there is the 15% alcohol content in the gasoline to contend with. In my experience, urethane enamel with a hardener is the only thing that even comes close. Even with hardened urethane, you must make sure that the gasoline can't get under the paint by sealing the area around the filler hole with something that is resistant to gas. I have a '79 xs special that I painted candy red over silver metalflake, I think it's beautiful. I sealed around the filler hole with a small amount of JB weld quick formula, mixed up and wiped around the hole neatly with my finger. The paint is four years old and no problems yet. One of these days I plan to post a pic of the afore mentioned '79 special here on this site, soon as I figure out how. Where are you located? I'd consider doing it for you if you talk nice.
littlepilot89

PostPosted: July 14, 2008, 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Painting XS tank

U might want to re think painting with rattle can. I have ridden moped since i was 15 and last summer i broke up of them down to repaint it and i used rattle can and a clear coat. i have so many runs on the tank from a bad can of clear coat its not funny. i currentlly i am still wet sanding the tank to get all put back together and plus i sped close to 200 dollars in paint for the hole bike and i prolly could have gotten it poweder coated for jsut a little more then that. and besides rattle can paint is very thin and chips really easy so be very carefully with it
jetero41

PostPosted: May 1, 2009, 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Painting XS tank

.Eastwood.com currently sells a 2 part clear gloss in a can. The can has a button on the bottem that when popped, opens an interior container of catalyst. Not good for storage but I intend to try one just to see.......

Forum Index -> General site issues and information All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1