650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > After Market Products > > Pamco - Electronic Ignitions > > Timing: Moving the unit

Timing: Moving the unit
    Forum Index -> Pamco - Electronic Ignitions
TeeCat

PostPosted: April 19, 2009, 11:16 am    Post subject: Timing: Moving the unit

I'm about to try to time my bike with a light. I have not used a light in years.

I was wondering if I actually move the base of the unit one way or the other while the bike is running, and do I actually need to mark the F with whiteout or something to make it visible, or will I be able to see enough to time accurately? Also, is there a preferred plug wire to use (right or left) with an inductive light? I read something on that here but can't find it at the moment.

Also, Pete... are there any plans for a system for early in-line fours like an '80 Seca? A work mate was asking. I think he has points and mechanical advance.

Thanks!

TC
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 19, 2009, 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Timing: Moving the unit

TeeCat wrote:
I'm about to try to time my bike with a light. I have not used a light in years.

I was wondering if I actually move the base of the unit one way or the other while the bike is running, and do I actually need to mark the F with whiteout or something to make it visible,
TC
mark the line on the rotor with white out it's the moving part and harder to see, check both plugs (right side) top set of point you move the whole plate while it's running and get it set first, then set left side to match by moving the sub-plate for the left side, do a cam chain adjustment first then do timing, you're trying to get both sides as close as possible to each other within the "F" marks at idle and not advancing past the advanced line at rpm

yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: April 19, 2009, 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Timing: Moving the unit

He has a Pamco Jayel.

As you have a dual output coil, running a wasted spark.
Both leads will fire at the same time. So it wont matter what lead you use.

Some timing lights however wont work properly on one lead (polarity issues). If this happens, try turning the inductive clip the wrong way, or use the other spark plug lead.

TeeCat

PostPosted: April 19, 2009, 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Timing: Moving the unit

And yami, Pete's instructions say to "immediately" time it after starting it up, but it does have to be off the choke and reasonably warm, right?

TC
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: April 19, 2009, 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Timing: Moving the unit

Yes, makes sense to me anyway!

Don't forget (also with a warm engine) check your timing chain adjustment first!

Also, after you've timed it to the F mark, give it a rev to check it goes to full advance!

TeeCat

PostPosted: April 19, 2009, 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing: Moving the unit

My timing chain's good, I think... I did that not long ago at all when I replaced the missing cork O-gasket under the dome cover. Plunger bobbles in and out maybe a mm or so... looks like plenty of adjustment left too, judging by the generous amount of thread for the dome cover.

Thanks!

TC
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 19, 2009, 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing: Moving the unit

TeeCat

I am working on a couple of other systems, but the '80 Seca is not one of them. Next up will be the 270 and 277 rephase systems, of which I have already delivered a few, but they will soon be available from MikesXS in kit form with the usual savings compared to buying the components seperately.

I started a system for the Honda CB450 and If I can find a CB750, I'll build one for that model as well.

Last edited by pamcopete on April 19, 2009, 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
TeeCat

PostPosted: April 19, 2009, 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing: Moving the unit

Okay, thanks, Pete. I'll pass that on to my friend.

I think I have my bike timed as well as any human can do it, even with a light. The marks line up with just the tiniest bit of "float", but that seems pretty minute. For the moment, it seems fine and seems to advance as well. I'll take the bike out sometime in the coming week after the coming rain moves out. I also want to redo the connections as soldered ones, but that's not emergent.

I'm going to add some fresh piccies to my gallery, by the way, with Pamco and new tires.

Helpful tip for others who are using timing lights:

Don't let the seat fall so that the metal pan touches the light's positive clip. The plastic co0ver on the clip smells terrible and the bit of smoke is scary to a neophyte. Sad I don't seem to have hurt anything but that little bit of plastic on the alligator clip.

TC
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 19, 2009, 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing: Moving the unit

normally I'd say modern technology "piffle" I'm a bit of a luddite, I don't mind the points on my 650 but I am interested in the Pamco for the 450 honda I have a 71 450 and setting the timing on it sucks (2nd cylinder sets by point gap)
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 19, 2009, 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing: Moving the unit

jayel,

Well, here is the prototype for the CB450:

Here is the revised rotor sans the holes for the magnets and the slots for the advance:

Still a work in progress.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 19, 2009, 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing: Moving the unit

yes the advance being right under the points plate is a bit different than the 650, might be a little easier, won't have as much linkage involved
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 19, 2009, 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing: Moving the unit

Leo....was discussing turn signals as brake lights........Sorry guys I posted this in the wrong place...Alzheimer’s...?

Might be easier for me to add a second small handlebar type signal light to the original rear turn signal arm and wire it to the brake...."""orange""".......but I already have blow torches for a brake light now using 2 front running led bar car lights that fit nicely inside the rectangular 80 lens...above and below with the replacement led bulbs...........

Pic was taken in bright daylight with the sun at my back...(worst case scenario)..any brighter there and at night I may become a nuisance.........some added orange for the daytime might be better......these broads with their cell phones are starting to worry me.........better safe than squashed.........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: April 19, 2009, 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing: Moving the unit

Pete, I've a friend with a black bomber who is interested in a set up too.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Pamco - Electronic Ignitions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1