650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > After Market Products > > Pamco - Electronic Ignitions > > Help please: confused already...

Help please: confused already...
Go to page Previous  1, 2
    Forum Index -> Pamco - Electronic Ignitions
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 12, 2009, 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Help please: confused already...

TeeCat

The end play for a stock advance rod is .5 mm (.019"). The typical end play for MikesXS replacement rod is 1 mm.

Neither of these is a cause for worry, although if you look closely with the timing light, you can see a slight movement of the timing mark with Mikes advance rod. You can put a .5 mm washer / shim in the advance side when using Mikes. That's a 12 X 18 X .5 mm washer. If you can't find one, I have a bunch of them and I will gladly send you one.

PostPosted: April 12, 2009, 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Help please: confused already...

But Pete, my advance rod is moving back and forth LATERALLY (left to right on the bike). How do I know when the rotor is on the shaft far enough? It was VERY tight going onto the little locating spline. Should it "bottom out" against something? I'm using the fender washer, lock washer, and low profile nut, but I don't know how far to go in tightening. The endplay gets less and less as I tighten the nut, but I don't want to go too far.

BTW, I'm using a stock rod... mine's a '73.
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 12, 2009, 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Help please: confused already...

TeeCat

Well, yes, I thought that was what you meant, side to side.

If you want to be absolutely sure that the rotor is all the way on, then remove the advance rod, instal lthe rotor and then reinstall the rod with the rotor from the left side.

You could also clean up the part of the rod that the rotor fits on with sandpaper. Run a rat tail file through the hole in the rotor to remove any debris. Run a small screw driver down the slot.

PostPosted: April 12, 2009, 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Help please: confused already...

Thanks to all who helped me here...

I had to flip my coil around to get clearance for the spark plug wire nuts, but that was no problem. She lit up on the first kick as soon as I gave her juice. I have only static timed her just yet, though... screw's just a tad to the right of the slot in the plate.

I used solderless fittings to get this done. It's neat and clean and seems secure, but I might have to try to get Chris over here sometime *coughs, whistles* to sidesaddle with me while I solder the connections. I couldn't even really find any solder-type fittings. Still have to put a light on the bike, but the worst is over, I think.

Pete, I think I'm square now. There's barely a milimeter of play now... just baaaaaaaaaaarely perceptible.

Thanks again to all who assisted... I'll keep you posted... need to take more pics anyway.

TC
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: April 13, 2009, 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Help please: confused already...

Bumping, just because I wanted to make sure you guys who assisted see my thank you. Smile

TC
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: April 13, 2009, 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Help please: confused already...

You're welcome brother but as I'm sure you're aware, we're just passing it on freely as it was given to us.
I used crimped fittings. Cut off the plastic insulated part with a utility knife before I crimped it and then soldered and heat shrinked it.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: April 13, 2009, 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Help please: confused already...

Well... I do appreciate it and hope to be able to return the favors. Smile

Quote::
I used crimped fittings. Cut off the plastic insulated part with a utility knife before I crimped it and then soldered and heat shrinked it.

Say, that's a great idea! I did get an iron at Radio Shack, so I might do that as time permits. I think my connections will suffice in the meantime, though.

Still gotta put a light on her and change my brushes.

Gotta get that little Kwak out for a romp too!

TC
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 13, 2009, 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Help please: confused already...

TeeCat I got my Ninjette out for it's annual state inspection a week or so ago on one of our few nice days and I forgot what a blast it is and how that sucker winds out. It got up to 90 in a blink of an eye with out me even trying.

I spent some time last evening during a lull in the calls at work soldering a new in-line man fuse section for the XS as the old wires were IMO sort of suspect after the PO somewhat shoddy splicing.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: April 13, 2009, 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Help please: confused already...

Seems like you have fairly mad electrical skills... sure would come in handy!

Quote::
I forgot what a blast it is and how that sucker winds out. It got up to 90 in a blink of an eye with out me even trying.

You know... most people grossly underestimate those little quarter-liter screamers. You can't ride the slab at 140 mph on them, but people just don't really have an appreciation for just how quick they are, or how beautifully they handle. I love that little pocket rocket of mine. Man, they scream too. You oughta hear mine with those tunable Supertrapps.

TC
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 13, 2009, 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Help please: confused already...

I heard a snide remark from a Harley guy, "oh that's one of those half a bikes", but I'd put it against a lot of them @ about a tenth of the price.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Pamco - Electronic Ignitions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2