650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > After Market Products > > Pamco - Electronic Ignitions > > Reliability?

Reliability?
    Forum Index -> Pamco - Electronic Ignitions
renloy

PostPosted: February 28, 2009, 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reliability?

Can someone who's run this system for a while give some info on the reliability of it?
Seems like its pretty simple, but I just want to make sure I get some years of use out of it if I'm going to drop $200.
willyguzzi53

PostPosted: February 28, 2009, 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Reliability?

I'm hoping people have alot of good things to say about this 'cause I just ordered one from Mike's about 3 hours ago. No kidding.

PostPosted: February 28, 2009, 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Reliability?

I'm planning a big mikes order in the next few weeks myself Smile Almost warm enough outside to work on the bike. Cant wait.
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 28, 2009, 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Reliability?

Well, reliability is something that has to be considered from the design stage, not just an after thought. The hallmark of any reliable product is a low parts count operated well within their limitations. The PAMCO ignition has only two active components...the Hall effect sensor and the driver transistor.

The Hall effect sensor is designed to operate within a voltage range of 3 to 24 volts. The XS650 electrical system is a nominal 12 volt system that produces 14.5 volts from the alternator. Well within spec. The Hall effect sensor has an operating temperature range of -40C to 150C (-40 to 302F). Typical head temperatures in the points housing can be as high as 220F. Well within range. The Hall effect sensor can source a maximum of 20 ma to drive the transistor. It only sources 1.5 ma. Well within range. A voltage spike suppressor is part of the circuit to limit potential spikes in the electrical feed and protect the Hall effect sensor.

The IGBT transistor that drives the coil was purpose built to drive ignition coils, a very stressful job. It is used in OEM ignition system in cars, primarily to drive coil on plug systems. It has an operating temperature range of -40 to 175C (-40 to 347 F). It can source a maximum of 14 Amps. Using a 2.5 Ohm coil, the maximum steady state current is 5.8 Amps @ 14.5 volts. With a 50% duty cycle, that is an average of 2.9 Amps. Well within the operating current capacity of the part.

The plate is made from high quality aluminum, cut in a CNC machine to exacting tolerances.

The aluminum rotor is cut in a CNC machine also to exacting tolerances.

The magnets are not stressed at all. They are mounted in a non-ferrous carrier (the rotor) and are not subject to the weakening effect of contact with a ferrous material, or even proximity to ferrous material.

The system carries a one year warranty that covers everything except actual physical destruction or damage to the plate or rotor. I had a buyer return a unit that he drove over with his pick up truck while it was still in the box. I replaced the electronics and sent it back. Mistakes made during installation are also covered by the warranty.

I will be offering an after warranty parts replacement service as well. Probably be like the Maytag guy..... Cool

And, of course....I have run the system myself "for a while" on both my '78/E and '81/H bikes.

Last edited by pamcopete on March 2, 2009, 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
renloy

PostPosted: February 28, 2009, 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Reliability?

Sounds good to me. I hope Mike is giving you a good cut of the profit Smile
acetek

PostPosted: March 1, 2009, 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Reliability?

Is the board and the solderjoints dipped in resin or otherwise protected from vibration creating cold or cracked solder joints?
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: March 1, 2009, 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Reliability?

Pete I am curious as to how you think of these things. I've read a lot of the mods you've come up with and have your ignition in a box in my barn that is 5 degrees right now with 5 inches of fresh late winter snow out there. Plan on doing the regulator and rectifier mods. Are you brainstorming these things when you have issues on your own bikes ?

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 1, 2009, 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Reliability?

acetek

Larger circuit boards are more susceptible to vibration damage than smaller boards. Because of the very small size of the PC board in the ignition system, no anti vibration treatment is necessary.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 1, 2009, 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Reliability?

pumps,

Basically, yes. I figure if I have a problem, then probably a lot of other XS650 riders will have the same problem, and If I come up with a solution to the problem, I want to share that solution with others.

Most of my solutions are DIY. but the ignition system really cannot be a DIY because of the precision machining and the PC board, so I decided to offer it for sale, but at what I think is a reasonable price.

I know how happy I was when I got rid of my points and was able to ride on Saturday morning instead of screwing with the points, so I get genuine pleasue from knowing there are now hundreds of other XS riders out there on the road instead of screwing with the points thanks to my efforts, especially people who have a short riding season.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 1, 2009, 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Reliability?

Pamcote , how much are these ? Can I/we buy direct from you ?
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 1, 2009, 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Reliability?

xs1961

I am selling the system on my web site, www.yamahaxs650.com for $89.95 plus shipping, but you will get a better deal from www.mikesxs.com for $89 with free shipping. Mikes also offers a kit that includes the ignition system, required dual output coil, wires, mounting hardware and caps for $129, which is a real bargain.

You can use any dual output coil with a primary resistance of 2 to 3 Ohms. There is usually a suitable coil or two available used on Ebay. See my site for a suggested mounting arrangement of Mikes coil.

Mike also offers a kit for '80 to '83 to replace the TCI that also includes the advance mechanism and advance rod required for those models because they do not have those parts.

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 1, 2009, 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Reliability?

Sounds like you'll be doing some dealer direct trading with the Brits Pete. Mikes is not the easiest to deal with for our Pomgolian friends!
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 1, 2009, 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Reliability?

Mike wont sell to us in the UK though... Rolling Eyes
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 8, 2009, 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Reliability?

yeah I know...bad innit, I cant buy from him at all anymore, as the Euro has made the parts too expensive.

He's loosing sales over it, I understand from past efforts on my behalf that its no trouble to send to the UK. All you have to do is make it plain that if it gets bust is the postal insurance or nought. I'd still go for it!..He packs well dont he? Xmas..man ..I dont know what the dude is worried about Smile
Photo Gallery
oldkarkid

PostPosted: April 8, 2009, 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Reliability?

Pamcopete, I purchased a system from Mike in November or December. About a month and a half ago my bike would absolutely not run on the left cylinder. I have since replaced everything involving the ignition except your circuit board and rotor. Still nothing. So I started to do some investigating and have found that two of the little magnets in the rotor are missing. Is this covered under your one year warrantee? Please help it is getting warm!
Buddy78SX650

PostPosted: April 9, 2009, 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Reliability?

oldkarkid this is a known issue and Peter has a fix for this problem, it is covered under warrenty.... There is another post about this somewhere...
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 9, 2009, 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Reliability?

oldkarkid

Sorry I didn't see your post yesterday. PM me your address and I will get a new rotor out to you today.

pete

PostPosted: April 11, 2009, 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Reliability?

Although I had a problem, Pete was an incredible help. This guy is top notch and that is a rare thing to find nowadays. Would highly recommend to anyone! Thanks a lot I am impressed.

Forum Index -> Pamco - Electronic Ignitions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1