650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > Trying to pull left side crankcase

Trying to pull left side crankcase
    Forum Index -> Engine
nokitov

PostPosted: March 28, 2009, 8:11 pm    Post subject: Trying to pull left side crankcase

Hey guys, I know it's something dumb like the clutch adjuster but I'm having trouble pulling the left side crankcase. It's jigglin but not coming off. All hexbolts are removed, vent hose pulled, clutch cable came off, and the 12mm hex nut on the clutch adjuster is off but not adjuster screw and plastic adjuster assembly. Know I'm close, what's next couple of steps and traps to watch out for? Is there a ball at the end that I seem to have heard of before?
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 28, 2009, 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to pull left side crankcase

there is a ball in the adjuster, get down and look there is one bolt under the front edge that is hard to see should have 6 screws, didn't need to take that nut off, the case has 2 line up dowels that 2 longer screws go thru, it may have a gasket that is holding it on and you may tear it getting it off but you don't really need it
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 28, 2009, 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to pull left side crankcase

Did you remove the gear shift?
nokitov

PostPosted: March 28, 2009, 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to pull left side crankcase

nice pix thanks, I got all six screws off, can put the nut back on. Are you saying that with all six screws off there's nothing else holding it on and just need to work it off
nokitov

PostPosted: March 28, 2009, 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to pull left side crankcase

yamaman wrote:
Did you remove the gear shift?
yeah yamaman but it does feel tight going through the case

jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 28, 2009, 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to pull left side crankcase

nokitov wrote:
nice pix thanks, I got all six screws off, can put the nut back on. Are you saying that with all six screws off there's nothing else holding it on and just need to work it off

yup, should pull off, may be full of mud and grease holding it

yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 28, 2009, 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to pull left side crankcase

The rear end of the cover can catch on the frame. Mines a bitsa & I had to file off a bit at the end to get it to fit properly. Shouldn't stop you getting it off though!

Not sure what you mean by gear shaft being tight?

Just give it a decent shake & it should be free!

As jayel says, expect a prolonged & messy clean up once you get it off!

nokitov

PostPosted: March 28, 2009, 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to pull left side crankcase

Pitt game is over. Going out to try again. Thanks to both of you. Will let you know how it goes.
nokitov

PostPosted: March 29, 2009, 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to pull left side crankcase

jayel wrote:
nokitov wrote:

yup, should pull off, may be full of mud and grease holding it
Came off, was a brown rusty greasy almost like roofing tar mess. Need to pick up chain press to pull master link and get chain out of the way to clean around clutch rod seal. Man there was some really caked on crud on the clutch rod that needed a utility knife to get off. Thanks for the help.

nokitov

PostPosted: March 29, 2009, 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to pull left side crankcase

yamaman wrote:
The rear end of the cover can catch on the frame. Mines a bitsa & I had to file off a bit at the end to get it to fit properly. Shouldn't stop you getting it off though!

Not sure what you mean by gear shaft being tight?

Just give it a decent shake & it should be free!

As jayel says, expect a prolonged & messy clean up once you get it off!
Yeah, extremely messy. Thanks for your help. It's apart and in process.

yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 29, 2009, 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to pull left side crankcase

Just pull off the front sprocket and let the chain out of the way, easier to clean then. Might have to back off the rear wheel & chain tensioners to get it off, no real need to break the chain.
nj1639

PostPosted: March 29, 2009, 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to pull left side crankcase

My front sprocket was loose and allowing oil to seep out of the seal. Jayel has a good tip to grease around the seal when putting it all back together, helps keep it from leaking.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 29, 2009, 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to pull left side crankcase

kind of like this......... just make sure to get that nut tight 72-87 ft. lbs. (10-12m-kg.)
nokitov

PostPosted: March 29, 2009, 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to pull left side crankcase

Yeah but that looks like a 90mm hex nut. Any one know the actual socket size. I can borrow it from my Advance Auto. Just kidding about 90mm. Can't be any larger than 89mm. Chain looks plenty loose right now thanks yamaman but never assume. By the way the clearance below the sprocket and the bracket for I believe front foot pegs, is unbelievably tight with the chain on. Must be about an 1/8", with grease and rust splash build up there it's grooved out from chain rotation. Can't be good and a female dog to get off without taking chain and sprocket out of way to have room to scrape. Jayel, beautiful pix again, your the techno man. Thanks in advance if you know socket size for sprocket nut.
penn71911

PostPosted: March 29, 2009, 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to pull left side crankcase

36mm nut on the front sprocket.

'82 XS650 - Daily rider
'77 Honda CB750 - Recently adopted
'70 Yamaha CS3 - Saved from the junk pile...
Photo Gallery
nokitov

PostPosted: March 29, 2009, 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to pull left side crankcase

I told you about 90mm. Thanks Chris. Don't have one in my toolbox but I'm sure Advance does.
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 29, 2009, 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to pull left side crankcase

If Advance doesn't Mikes does.
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 29, 2009, 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to pull left side crankcase

To undo that nut (if it's tight) put it in top gear, hold the back brake on while undoing. Cheers
nokitov

PostPosted: March 30, 2009, 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to pull left side crankcase

Got the socket on loan from Advance, got the nut off with my impact. Gotta loosen the chain some more...assume. It's sloppy but still need to loosen axel and adjusters. Had to quit and do some paper work.
Thanks to all, it's coming around.

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1