650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Winter blahs!

Winter blahs!
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 22, 2009, 12:24 pm    Post subject: Winter blahs!

Man, this winter seems to last forever! Over the last few days we had 60F ( 15C), and motorcycles were slowly coming out of hibernation.

This morning, look out the window to see more than 6 inches ( 15 cm) of snow!! Heading for the garage now to start up the snow blower. You have be a tough Canadian, to survive these winters.

Maybe if I find some pictures of a tropical island, I can pretend this winter isn't really happening Smile

mauritius_dinarobin_hotel_beach.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  104.12 KB
 Viewed:  83 Time(s)

mauritius_dinarobin_hotel_beach.jpg

Photo Gallery
BigGeorge

PostPosted: March 22, 2009, 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter blahs!

Hey RG I feel your pain. Here in WNY we have had over 200 inches of snow so far this year... A few warm days last week but now cold again with snow flurries today... I live on top of a hill and can see lake erie out my front window and its just a white slab... Maybe a couple of those tropical pictures pasted to the windows of my house would do the trick..................BG
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 22, 2009, 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter blahs!

BG, I know WNY gets hit badly with snow. I used to live in Ontario, which can get a lot of snow too. Winter of 77, that was the one I remember. I couldn't get to my car for 3 days, to even dig it out.

Snow fall here to-day wasn't 6", it was actually 9",and its still snowing!
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: March 22, 2009, 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter blahs!

RG I got a 50 mile ride in for ya yesterday......Here not a month ago we had 6 inches of snow on Saturday and 80s less that a week later. I'll turn on the fan and blow some heat up your way!

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 22, 2009, 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter blahs!

I feel warmer already! Smile
Photo Gallery
penn71911

PostPosted: March 22, 2009, 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter blahs!

60F here today RG, I feel for you... the warm weather is so close I can taste it... Before I started riding I used to love the snow and winter in general... now, if I ever decide to relocate, the further south the better!

'82 XS650 - Daily rider
'77 Honda CB750 - Recently adopted
'70 Yamaha CS3 - Saved from the junk pile...
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 22, 2009, 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter blahs!

Lucky old UK for a change... We had 2 days snow this winter & not so much rain as we usually do..we already have flowers out everywhere, birds in our garden have eggs in the nests, frogs & spawn in our pond ..Bikes everywhere !
Mine even overheated yesterday while filming.. Embarassed

gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
stomper11

PostPosted: March 22, 2009, 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter blahs!

hi Retiredgentleman i know how you feel over here in blighty its been the coldest for over 20 years and ten inchs of snow 4 weeks back but this last week the sun put its hat on and i got the bike out the shed to start the wiring in just a t shrit and shorts and got the lawn cut today spring has sprung and summer is on its way ahh those long hot days strimers buzzin mowers hummin kids screamin midges biteing and the sun on your face and a long open road wont be long the glass is half full stomper
oldbikenut

PostPosted: March 22, 2009, 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter blahs!

BigGeorge wrote:
Hey RG I feel your pain. Here in WNY we have had over 200 inches of snow so far this year... A few warm days last week but now cold again with snow flurries today... I live on top of a hill and can see lake erie out my front window and its just a white slab... Maybe a couple of those tropical pictures pasted to the windows of my house would do the trick..................BG

200 inches that's insane! While in NM we're having a pretty bad drought. 50's and 60's lately but breezy to windy.

I'm originally from Erie PA and I've heard from relatives that Erie has had somewhere around 140". Makes me glad I'm in NM though I miss the green and water!

Hang in there guys, warm weathers around the corner Very Happy

Last edited by oldbikenut on March 22, 2009, 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Barbara

PostPosted: March 22, 2009, 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter blahs!

Hee-hee.......sorry to gloat, RG. Out here in the Pacific Northwest we pretend to have lots of rain to keep the tourist's down, but yesterday I put miles on the Yammie, and without even bothering to use my heavy gloves. The daffs and tulips are poking up through the fields, and the birds are nesting in the eaves of my old house again: Spring!

So why not fire up those huge fans you guys up there have, and send some of that arctic air down to Fargo? A good freeze might stop the flooding, and then you could get in a few days of riding......

Kidding aside, sorry for the delayed Spring. Everyone should be able to ride all the time! Exclamation

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
Millie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 22, 2009, 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter blahs!

Glad you're having good weather in Washington state, Barb. Even though spring has officially started, everyone in Calgary knows the good weather doesn't start here until May.

We do have lots of hot air, but its all concentrated around our federal politicians in Ottawa!
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: March 22, 2009, 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter blahs!

Delayed spring would just have to be the Global Warming....... Laughing

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
YamahaRick

PostPosted: March 22, 2009, 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter blahs!

I cant even imagine 200" of snow. I would probably off myself if I wasn't able to move. All I know is a few short weeks ago I was out of house of home for a week due to the biggest ice storm in history and today I had the sun in my face, the breeze up my pants leg and the wind in whats left of my hair and by God it was a good day. Kinda feel bad about not goin to church, but we all worship in our own way. I think He understands.
metalredneck

PostPosted: March 23, 2009, 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Winter blahs!

This was a long, snowy winter, and we AVERAGE twenty-two FEET of snow a year, here in Groundhog City. No chinooks in Cowtown this year RG?

My bike is out & ready, and Friday is looking good.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 24, 2009, 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter blahs!

Hey R.G.,you thyink you got cabin fever? My first ex live's just north of Miami, & everyday, when it's cold here in Ct.,she send's me picture mail of her laying on the beach! Palm tree's, blue sea,blue sunny sky.Shoulda killed her when I had the chance,only kidding.She want's me sooooo bad.I guess she figure's that the photos will tempt me into moving down, but my plan's for retirment are sailing to the South Pacific. I loved the Phillipenes when I was a squid.Plenty of room on the boat for the XS.
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 24, 2009, 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter blahs!

Yeah gordo, women are like that. They like to torment men Smile . What a great combo...................sailing and biking.............it would be like you died and went to heaven.

In my younger days, I had a small daysailer that I sailed in the Thousand Islands on the St. Lawrence River. Do you have a sail boat presently?
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: March 25, 2009, 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Winter blahs!

RG & BG -- In the winter of 77/78, I dragged a load of melons from Blythe AZ up to Montreal. The coldest I have ever experienced was the night run from Albany NY to Montreal. I was pushing a '72 cabover International with a big snortin' 318 Detroit in it. It was so cold outside I couldn't get the engine temp up off the peg on the gage. Inside, the aluminum cab got so cold your fingers would stick on the doors and the dashboard. The cold was like some sort of a sci-fi monster that oozed through the walls and physically filled the room. I could actually feel it crawlin' around in there with me.

I finally stopped along the road and shut the engine off. Then I crawled under the cab with my jackknife and cut the fan belts and pulled them off the engine. Those 318's had a gear-driven water pump and the alternator had its own belt, so I could cut the fan belts and stop the engine fan only. It made all the difference: I got enough wanter temperature then to make the heaters warm our feet, at least. An' I don't know about you, but I can stand just about any cold as long as my feet are warm.

I found out next day that, when I stopped to cut the fan belts, we were running past Lake Champlain. I don't know how cold it was. But I once spent two hours at the port of entry in Kemerer, WY, working on a dead Thermo-King unit in my shirtsleeves. I had to stop when I finally got too cold to go on. Outside the door on the port office (where I had to show permits before I left), the thermometer read -50. But it wasn't as cold in Kemerer as it was in the cab of the truck there by Lake Champlain.

You guys got it rough up there, alright.
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 25, 2009, 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Winter blahs!

Incredible, all these places you mention are the same latitude or lower than I am in England yet weve had one snowfall (so-called blizzard here of 1 1/2" -2" !) this winter , otherwise mild & clear since Oct. Flowers in Dec. Birds nesting now.. Thing is it rains most of the summer.. Rolling Eyes Good old Gulf Stream ! Cool
gradually losing intrest... God help me...

Last edited by xs1961 on March 25, 2009, 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 25, 2009, 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Winter blahs!

xs1961 wrote:
Incredible, all these pl;aces you mention are tyhe same latitude or lower than I am in England yet weve had one snowfall (so-called blizzard here of 1 1/2" -2" !) this winter , otherwise mild & clear since Oct. Flowers in Dec. Birds nesting now.. Thing is it rains most of the summer.. Rolling Eyes Good old Gulf Stream ! Cool

difference in a continetal weather pattern and a oceanic system, you've got what left of the gulf streams warm water returning south moderating your weather

gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 25, 2009, 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Winter blahs!

R.G. yes, I got a nice sailboat,if I do say so myself.She's a 42' Bavaria,ocean goe'r.Have sailed her to Maine in the summer,& as far south to Annapolis Md.Just a few "short" trip's, I love it though. I am 54 now, & I figure maybe 5 more year's before I am really ready to take her across the Pacific.Was on the Enterprise in the 70's , & we had a storm blow up from out of nowhere ,we had wave's breaking on the flight deck!!! Talk about feeling insignificant,boat making ALL kind's of creacking noise's.Scary.So, I would like more sailing experience before I try to take on the Big pond.
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: March 25, 2009, 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Winter blahs!

Gordo -- Everything I've ever read tells me that when you're small and wind-powered, the best place to be in a blow like the one you were in is way out at sea. You take down the sails and throw out a sea anchor and let the storm blow itself out. Is that true?
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 25, 2009, 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Winter blahs!

jimmythetrucker wrote:
Gordo -- Everything I've ever read tells me that when you're small and wind-powered, the best place to be in a blow like the one you were in is?

Omaha

650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 25, 2009, 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Winter blahs!

jayel wrote:
xs1961 wrote:
Incredible, all these pl;aces you mention are tyhe same latitude or lower than I am in England yet weve had one snowfall (so-called blizzard here of 1 1/2" -2" !) this winter , otherwise mild & clear since Oct. Flowers in Dec. Birds nesting now.. Thing is it rains most of the summer.. Rolling Eyes Good old Gulf Stream ! Cool

difference in a continetal weather pattern and a oceanic system, you've got what left of the gulf streams warm water returning south moderating your weather

With the Arctic melting the way it is, all that fresh water is slowing the Gulf stream down and if/when that stops i guess you will be coming down here...............you will have to learn to drink your piss a bit colder than room temperature Laughing
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 25, 2009, 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Winter blahs!

not me, I prefer my beer room temp, cold beer suxs same with sodas (Coca-cola) room temp, hot coffee, tea, or chocholate is ok tho'

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2