650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Frames > > Greasing steering bearings

Greasing steering bearings
    Forum Index -> Frames
nokitov

PostPosted: March 23, 2009, 4:30 am    Post subject: Greasing steering bearings

Hey guys, bought the upper and lower bearings for the steering assembly and was curious about which type of grease is best for packing the bearings. I have the heavy wheel bearing grease used for packing wheel bearings with disc brakes and some thinner black stuff used for packing wheel bearings on drum brakes. Got bearings from Mikes including the special tool for taking apart and tightening the stem ring nut. Also, anything tricky to look out for when I get into this job.
Joseph

PostPosted: March 23, 2009, 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Greasing steering bearings

I did mine this week, I'd tape or somehow cover or even take off the tank when you do it. I have basic grease and some kind of mobil red high temp stuf, which is thicker it might be synthetic, anyway i used the thicker stuff it is just better quality i beleive so it will last longer..
Photo Gallery
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 23, 2009, 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Greasing steering bearings

If you do the grease zert mod on the neck use what ever grease you will be pumping in there.

PostPosted: March 23, 2009, 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Greasing steering bearings

weekendrider wrote:
If you do the grease zert mod on the neck use what ever grease you will be pumping in there.
You got me there w.e.r. I never heard or saw anything about grease fittings in there. Tell me more, sounds very interesting.

weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 23, 2009, 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Greasing steering bearings

nokitov, look at this thread
www.650rider.com/index...ing+grease

PostPosted: March 23, 2009, 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Greasing steering bearings

mucho gracias mes amigo and very nice picture on your referenced thread. That definitely looks like the way to go. PS Ref Arlo's Pickle: What in the world ever become of sweet Jane, She lost her sparkle you know she isn't the same.
nokitov

PostPosted: March 23, 2009, 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Greasing steering bearings

Joseph wrote:
I did mine this week, I'd tape or somehow cover or even take off the tank when you do it. I have basic grease and some kind of mobil red high temp stuf, which is thicker it might be synthetic, anyway i used the thicker stuff it is just better quality i beleive so it will last longer..
Thanks Joe, got it so far apart right now I can't remember the last time the tank was on. I think I still have it somewhere primed and supposed to be painting it.

Forum Index -> Frames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1