650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Flattracker - Streettracker > > A new tracker is born...

A new tracker is born...
    Forum Index -> Flattracker - Streettracker
kyle1911

PostPosted: March 5, 2009, 12:54 am    Post subject: A new tracker is born...

After a winter's worth of off and on work, it is done. Well, ok, as done as these projects ever are. If we wanted a bike just to ride, and never touch, we wouldn't be here, would we? The short build list is as follows: 750 kit, Mike's cam and springs, my own porting, Boyer ignition, Dellorto's from Mike, my own pipes, 1 3/4", with stock spigots, and 1.5" reducers in the end. My own swingarm, built on a jig. Omar's glass, mini tach and speedo, powder coat frame, front wheel conversion from Omar's, number plates by tuff Plates, etc., etc....Thanks to all who helped. All of you on here, are invaluable. From the chopper guys, to the old hands at engine building. Everybody wants to help, from all over the world. Mike Morse, at 650 Central. what a guy. Thanks for the advice!, Mike Lalonde, we'd be out of luck without your parts! Robert Ward, new owner of Omar's. Great service, great products. The guys here in Wenatchee at CDA Metals. I bought half the store, $5 at a time, and they never complained. A lot more I am forgetting. Now for a final few touches, and spring is coming! Kyle

PostPosted: March 5, 2009, 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: A new tracker is born...

The other 2 pics...
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 5, 2009, 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: A new tracker is born...

that look better, takes more than just throwing on some fiberglass parts
tracker79

PostPosted: March 5, 2009, 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: A new tracker is born...

Very nice, you can see a lot of effort and detail went into your build. Great job.
Photo Gallery
Pure-Pork

PostPosted: March 5, 2009, 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: A new tracker is born...

Congratulations on a very nice looking bike build!
bluebikerblan

PostPosted: March 5, 2009, 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: A new tracker is born...

Kudos...............Very, very nice work and result!

What are the tires btw? Absolutely cool and inspirational work. Blue

PostPosted: March 5, 2009, 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: A new tracker is born...

Wow! I think I will be staring at this one for a while, lots of tasty details and it all ties together so well; looks like you had a complete vision before you started.

Have fun getting it dirty! I'm sure it will bring out your inner hooligan.
kyle1911

PostPosted: March 5, 2009, 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: A new tracker is born...

Thanks for all the kind words, folks! Blue, the tires are Goodyear CD5 compound. Not cheap, and I won't go that route again. Go to your local Harley dealer, and look in the Screamin Eagle parts book. They have Dunlop flattrack tires that are street legal, DIRT cheap. Makes me cry, but I know where I will get the tires for my next build! Regards, Kyle

PostPosted: March 5, 2009, 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: A new tracker is born...

Dude! How much to bend me a set of those pipes? Or without mufflers?
Really, those are what I'm looking for!!

PostPosted: March 5, 2009, 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: A new tracker is born...

Redneck, I never really considered making these again...Let me get back to you on that. The clearances are close, so they need to be made on the bike, or on a jig. If I do a few of these bikes, I will be making a jig for these pipes. I built a jig for the swingarm already, but the pipes were pieced together on the bike. I just got this up and running 2 days ago, and rode it for the first time yesterday. Once I shake the bugs out, I will be parking it for a month or 2, until all the sand and junk is off the road. I might be able to pull these off, and make another set then, on my bike. Thanks, Kyle

PostPosted: March 5, 2009, 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: A new tracker is born...

wow u are very talented! very nice bike, never knew a tracker could look so good Very Happy
Photo Gallery
danno

PostPosted: March 5, 2009, 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: A new tracker is born...

Put me on the list for a set of those pipes !
kyle1911

PostPosted: March 6, 2009, 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: A new tracker is born...

Wow, I've been getting bombed with interest on these pipes! I am going to look at building a few sets, and seeing if they sell. I am in the middle of moving in the soon to be wife, and a couple little ones, but as soon as that's wrapped up, I will cook up a couple, and come up with a fair price for them. They do sound awesome. I will get a video up on Youtube as quick as I can. Thanks for all the compliments! Kyle

PostPosted: March 8, 2009, 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: A new tracker is born...

Nice.. REAL nice! If you ever sell it make sure you know the person.
I built a tracker a few years back (3 year project) within a year it was a rusty POS. It made me sick.
I see your a traegar grill man..

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: March 8, 2009, 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: A new tracker is born...

Looks like a Lil' Tex? Just bought myself a junior and am using the heck out of it.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 9, 2009, 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: A new tracker is born...

scalejockey wrote:
Nice.. REAL nice! If you ever sell it make sure you know the person.
I built a tracker a few years back (3 year project) within a year it was a rusty POS. It made me sick.
I see your a traegar grill man..

maybe it was just that guys vision Very Happy

kyle1911

PostPosted: March 9, 2009, 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: A new tracker is born...

Yeah, gotta love the Traeger! I haven't used my oven for meat since I got it 2 years ago. The neighbors threatened to steal it, the last time I did ribs! Hahaha. Maybe I'll chain it to the porch. Kyle

PostPosted: March 10, 2009, 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: A new tracker is born...

Very nice work indeed!

I have always liked this style pipe too. Where did you get the reverse cone meg's? Are overall lengths for each exhaust bank pretty close?

I am in the process (slow) of a tracker/cafe build. Forks and wheels apart right now. I may post some pictures as I start fitting the tanks and seats.

kyle1911

PostPosted: March 10, 2009, 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: A new tracker is born...

Jralex, I made both the pipes and megaphones from pieces. The left cyl. pipe would be much shorter, but extends into the megaphone about 8". This gives an overall length for both headpipes of 33". Just a tad shorter than ideal for a street motor, I am told, but at least equal. You could avoid adding length inside the megs, by running a larger loop out of the head (Like the right side Jemco's). I like the tucked in look, so I went the route I did. I cut the stock spigots from the old headpipes, and used them. This fills the gap in the port, and reduces it in size. I had the local exhaust shop make reducers for the end of the head pipes as well, down to 1.5" I'll be playing with jetting, and timing for awhile, but look forward to a real runner of an engine.

PostPosted: March 22, 2009, 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: A new tracker is born...

man that thing is gorgeous!!!
guelah

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: A new tracker is born...

Hey, that is a great looking ride!
After 2 years of sitting, I am ready to resume (begin) work on my tracker. I have the whole thing stripped down and the hotglass seat mounted. Where to from here? Would it be best to do a mock build and then break it back down for painting/powder coating?

Is your bike kickstart only?
Photo Gallery
kyle1911

PostPosted: June 19, 2009, 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: A new tracker is born...

Sorry for the delay, I've been a busy man lately! Kick only. I dumped all the electric start stuff. Mocking up is a must. I gutted the engine, and put it back in the frame, before I built the pipes, or anything else. Lots and lots of staring and thinking. A cheapo desk chair is nice to have. Look twice, build once. I probably assembled the bike 4 times, with hundreds of partial fits in between. Looking forward to seeing your build! Take care, Kyle

PostPosted: June 19, 2009, 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: A new tracker is born...

Hi Kyle, nice job bike looks sharp and you did it right Wink not to hijack the post but I make exhaust systems for the xs and can make pipes like these if Kyle does not want too, again nice job.
sarah1

PostPosted: July 9, 2009, 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: A new tracker is born...

Kyle,
Great looking ride and its what i remember beating the harleys at the track when i was younger.
Put me down for a set of pipes.They a great looking.
Sarah

Forum Index -> Flattracker - Streettracker All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1