650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > Battery choices??

Battery choices??
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
madskills
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 1, 2009, 12:56 pm    Post subject: Battery choices??

I'd like to know what others are using, I would like to find something small but with ample power to put on the bobber. I am going to have headlight/tailight, mini speedo and starter, pretty simple, trying to avoid some ugly batt box and since I am going with an ext swing arm and shocks the fake oil bag wouldn't look right.

So what style and brands are others using and if you have pics please post, I am in the home stretch here.

p7160814.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.66 KB
 Viewed:  273 Time(s)

p7160814.jpg

Photo Gallery
madskills
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 3, 2009, 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery choices??

nobody has any info on batteries? With all the knowledge here I find it hard to believe that someone hasn't found something smaller with power.
Photo Gallery
whydontwegetdrunk

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Battery choices??

I was talking to a friend of mine awhile back and he mentioned that if I were to ditch the starter, I could go with a much smaller battery. Without losing the starter though, it apparently isn't possible.
oldskoolcool

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Battery choices??

i tried it and i kept cooking them. they were a small sealed unit. fried 4 of em. i dunno if it was from overcharging or what. New Rectifier but mechanical regulator still. Went back to stock size and i havent had a problem. may try again with a solidstate regulator.
metalredneck

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Battery choices??

I ran an '84 in a rigid frame, all stock electrics,with no starter, and used a 12-volt gel-cell scooter battery. Teeny-tiny. The electric start wouldn't push the Wiseco top end anyway. I rode it for two years with that system.

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery choices??

I will look tonight when I get home to see what brand it is and everything but in my wifes xs400 I am using a battey for a 95 honda cbr900rr. It is about half as tall and just a little bit wider than the stock one that was in there. Plus it's sealed. No having to deal with maintaining a fluid level.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery choices??

Thanks, for the replies and please keep posting if you have more info.
Photo Gallery
georelle

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery choices??

I know you are probably looking to go smaller on the battery. I actually went bigger on my battery. I was originally going to go with a smaller on but after changing the frame etc. there was plenty of room under the seat. So I took the old battery out of my Suzuki Marauder, and bought a new one for the Suzuki since it does not have a kicker. I thought it would make life easier if both batteries were the same. Although I kick it most of the time, it sure does crank it over when it is cold and it pops right off.
G

'02 Suzuki VZ800
'78 Honda CM185T
Photo Gallery
CMS161

PostPosted: February 21, 2009, 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery choices??

hijack hijack, Very Happy

I am going to kick start and and just have a head and tail light will something like a ytx5lbs work? they are small sealed and relatively cheap
thorshammer

PostPosted: February 22, 2009, 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Battery choices??

Ran a capacitor instead of battery same as I did on my brits. Advantageous are lightweight no fluid and smooth the current flow. Disadvantageous are no lights if it's not running and no way to use electric start. Running commando corrupted my soul. LOL
whydontwegetdrunk

PostPosted: February 22, 2009, 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Battery choices??

thorshammer wrote:
Ran a capacitor instead of battery same as I did on my brits. Advantageous are lightweight no fluid and smooth the current flow. Disadvantageous are no lights if it's not running and no way to use electric start. Running commando corrupted my soul. LOL

How would one do this? Where would I get the capacitor, and how is it wired in (if not exactly like the battery). Would this work on an '81 with electronic ignition?
xsleo

PostPosted: February 23, 2009, 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery choices??

To run without a battery, you will have to convert to a permanent magnet type alternator.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
bluebikerblan

PostPosted: February 24, 2009, 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Battery choices??

Battery Stuff. com great delivered pricing, service and products.
Here's the exact size sealed AGM for XS 650's.....

www.batterystuff.com/b...HL-BS.html

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1