650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Wheels, Brakes and Controls > > tires and changing it

tires and changing it
    Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls
borjawil

PostPosted: February 20, 2009, 5:25 pm    Post subject: tires and changing it

So i got a bike with a flat front tire. it sat outside in the cold for a few months. If something peirced the tire and inner tube can i just replace the inner tube or do i have to do the whole thing.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 20, 2009, 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: tires and changing it

just the if it isn't sliced, look for what caused the puncture, keep the tube oreinted to the tire and find the hole then look on the tire for the nail or whatever, wipe inside the tire with a shop rag to feel for anything that snags
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 20, 2009, 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: tires and changing it

Mark the tyre where the valve is so you can put it back in the same spot (it affects the balance). Then when you find the hole in the tube, as jayel says, you can then search for the offending culprit!
xsleo

PostPosted: February 20, 2009, 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: tires and changing it

If it sat for a few monthes, it could have just gone flat. I would try putting air in it and checking for a leaking valve core. I would also check the whole tire for leaks before I took the tire off. You can take the whole wheel off and dip it in a tank off water. Watch for bubbles from the valve stem or any where on the tire. if you find that the valve stem is the problem, try replaceing the valve core with a new one. good luck.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
tacoswild

PostPosted: February 20, 2009, 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: tires and changing it

how about some tips for actually changing the tire? I have to admit I tried last time and after losing the skin on more than a couple knuckles I let the guys at the shop do it.
xsleo

PostPosted: February 20, 2009, 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: tires and changing it

A good set of tire irons, the nine inch are ok but the longer ones work easier. Using a good lube helps. i use dish washing soap mixed about 50/50 with water. Warming the tires up helps. some tires mount easier than others. The more you do the easier it gets.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 20, 2009, 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: tires and changing it

Definatly better if you have 3, 2 standard bike irons & 1 car type comes in handy.
I use a spare car wheel as a bench, my bike wheels fit in there nice. And it keeps the discs ect off the ground.

1. Mark the tyre in line with the valve.
2. Remove the valve & break the bead. I've got a press for the tough ones. You can make a press out of some wood a car and a jack if needed.
3. If possible, make sure your new & old rubber are warm.
4. Starting opposite the valve, gently pry up a small piece (not to deep or you'll pinch the tube) at a time. By the time you get 2 levers in & back, it's pretty plain sailing from there.
5.Remove the tube and then remove other side.

To put it back in:

1. Make sure directional arrows (if it's got them) are going the right way
2. Most tyres these days have a coloured dot on them. This indicates the lightest point of the tyre, the dot should go along side the valve.
4. To seat the bead properly you need to use very soapy water or something slippery to make sure the bead settles correctly.
5. Push on one side of the tyre.
6. Put the slightly inflated tube in the tyre.
7. Starting opposite the valve again, gently work the irons around both sides heading back to the valve. This is where the third iron comes in handy. Inch it up till you slip the last bit over...Don't get to greedy......Done. This is the part that many people stuff up on, if you insert the irons to far, you can catch the tube & stuff it !
8. With the valve removed, inflate the tyre to seat the bead. 50psi should do it, if not let the air out and lube up the tyre some more. Sometimes bouncing the tyre around can help settle a bead into place.
9. Check the bead line is even all around on both sides, if it's not deflate and try again till it's right! Check the pressure is what you need!
10. Crack a tinny while your mate re-fits the wheel!

thorshammer

PostPosted: February 21, 2009, 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: tires and changing it

Yamaman said it straight . You may want to use a tire mounting lube to reduce possability of tire slip on the rim when wet but may not be a problem for you.

Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1