650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Flattracker - Streettracker > > why use a 19 inch back wheel

why use a 19 inch back wheel
    Forum Index -> Flattracker - Streettracker
handsomepete

PostPosted: November 26, 2005, 5:09 pm    Post subject: why use a 19 inch back wheel

Hey I am picking up a 1979 XS this week. I want to build a street tracker out of it. What are the pros and cons of a 19 inch rear wheel? I know it is a popular upgrade on street trackers. I should add that the bike will only be used for street duty, no dirt track racing. Will it negativly affect the handling, or the ride of the bike?
xs650mike

PostPosted: December 3, 2005, 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: why use a 19 inch back wheel

19" rear wheels are popular on street trackers since the idea is to make the bike look like a dirt track bike and they use 19'' wheels on both ends. Many street tracker builders use 18" or 16" rear wheels though, it's up to you. As far as being detrimental to handling I don't think a 19" rear is at all detrimental. Both of my Matchless 650s had 19-inchers on both ends and they handled superbly, better than any other bike I've owned.

XS650H Special II 750 kit
XS650SJ Heritage
XS400SJ Heritage
XS1100SF XS Eleven Special

"Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now!"
Photo Gallery

PostPosted: December 10, 2005, 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: why use a 19 inch back wheel

Flattrack bikes use 19" wheels due to the fact that 19" tires have less sidewall height than 18" tires. This allows for more consistent handling while sliding sideways in that there is very little flexing. As there is less sidewall, the overall diameter of an 18" is the same as a 19". If you decide to go with a 19" on the rear your tire options are very limited as compared to an 18" tire. Flattrack treads may not be suitable for the type of roads you travel on, especially if you have rain groove bridges or roads in your area. Hope this anwers your question.
Barrett

PostPosted: January 23, 2007, 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: why use a 19 inch back wheel

Dunlop makes one of the only 'speedway' style tires in 18 inch that I have found. You can get the old style univeral tread/trials style tires in either style (look like old Pirellis on Brit bikes). There is a kit available out there to use a 19 inch front wheel on the rear, it uses quick change sprokets and such, rim width is not so important. If using used/old real race tires, got to have 19's, all of them use tubes as well. 19's were the 17's(like sport bikes use now) of the time.
trqmonster

PostPosted: January 29, 2009, 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: why use a 19 inch back wheel

Will any 19 do? or does it have to be off a xs1100? I have a 19" off a 650. Are the structural dimensions the same? I am of course using mags.

Forum Index -> Flattracker - Streettracker All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1