650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > Trying to change my oil sump strainer

Trying to change my oil sump strainer
    Forum Index -> Engine
nokitov

PostPosted: December 18, 2008, 1:43 am    Post subject: Trying to change my oil sump strainer

Hey guys, isn't nice crappy weather for working on your bike so it will be ready for spring? I'm in the middle of reworking my ride thats been sitting since we moved to this house in 1982 so it's been idle a little over 26 years. Drained the oil the other night and thought that I may as well change the oil sump strainer since everyone on every website talks of the original sump screen being a piece of crap and needing replaced. So tonite I got down there and couldn' believe how easy the 6 bolts holding the pan/cover whatever it's called. The cover though doesn't want to budge. Is it just tough or am I skipping a bolt or two? I don't want to pry or beat on it til I'm sure it's okay and I won't break anything Thanks
Photo Gallery
nj1639

PostPosted: December 18, 2008, 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to change my oil sump strainer

The bolts should be obvious to see and remove, shouldn't be a surprise bolt holding it in. Does it clear your sidestand?. Got a thin putty knife?
sesamharold

PostPosted: December 18, 2008, 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to change my oil sump strainer

wooden mallet or plastic hammer will do your job ...
nokitov

PostPosted: December 18, 2008, 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to change my oil sump strainer

I'm going to take the side stand off tonite when I get home and I did try to hit it with a plastic hammer but wasn't getting much of a swing. I like the putty knife idea.
Thanks
Nokitov
Photo Gallery
Rickrod

PostPosted: December 18, 2008, 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to change my oil sump strainer

Hi:
I originally posted the side stand question. the issue I had with the side stand is; that after removing 6 screws holding on the strainer cover (as it is called in my manual) it would not clear the side stand.

The cover broke free from bottom of the engine but; I could not clear the assembly past the side stand.

Most of the guys here said there's clears so you may not have to remove yours.

I you do not have a manual I recomend the one on cd from 650 central comes with 2 other books which have a ton of good information.

Rick
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 18, 2008, 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to change my oil sump strainer

1979? yes I think you do have to remove the stand
xsleo

PostPosted: December 19, 2008, 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to change my oil sump strainer

try using a socket on the drain plug, turn in the tighten direction with a long breaker bar. maybe a shrp wack with a mallet to jar things a bit. using a putty knife or simular might gouge the contact surfaces.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
nokitov

PostPosted: December 19, 2008, 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to change my oil sump strainer

hey I like that. Didn't make it to the garage last night. I'm going out there right now and trying that.
Photo Gallery
jimmer
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 19, 2008, 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to change my oil sump strainer

mine popped off easily like this ... there is a nice little pry point there without damaging anything .... unless its stuck so bad you break the cover ... I doubt that. Don't drive the screwdriver in there ... rather set it there and "twist". The cover pops right off.

Last edited by jimmer on December 19, 2008, 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
nokitov

PostPosted: December 19, 2008, 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to change my oil sump strainer

Thanks, it worked like a charm only I changed one thing, I was able to lift the front tire since the bike was on center stand, put a 2 x 4 under the tire and thin my impact gun fit on the oil drain plug. couple of Zips and off it came.
Photo Gallery
Romer

PostPosted: December 21, 2008, 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to change my oil sump strainer

nokitov,
I am having the same problem with my cover. I tried the socket trick before I read this post, didn't work but I'll try again.
5twins

PostPosted: December 21, 2008, 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to change my oil sump strainer

Don't use any gasket sealer on the new gasket (I just oil mine with motor oil) or you'll run into the same problem next time you go to remove the sump.
nokitov

PostPosted: December 21, 2008, 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to change my oil sump strainer

Romer wrote:
nokitov,
I am having the same problem with my cover. I tried the socket trick before I read this post, didn't work but I'll try again.

Let me know how it works out, nokitov, hey I guess I did what my handles says" I had to KNOCK IT OFF"

nokitov

PostPosted: December 21, 2008, 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to change my oil sump strainer

5twins wrote:
Don't use any gasket sealer on the new gasket (I just oil mine with motor oil) or you'll run into the same problem next time you go to remove the sump.
Yeah, it was a female dog getting the old gasket and sealer scraped off, especially laying down on the garage floor with about no wiggle room on either side of the bike. I really need to reorganize my garage and pitch some of the junk that I'll never use again.

jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 21, 2008, 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to change my oil sump strainer

[quote="nokitov"]
5twins wrote:
I really need to reorganize my garage and pitch some of the junk that I'll never use again.

the secret is to make two piles .. 1. throw away and 2. keepers ... now throw away the keep pile because that is the stuff you'll never use... it's one of Murphy's rules if you throw something away because you don't need it you will need it soon
not to be confused with Cole's law..... which is chopped cabbage

Romer

PostPosted: December 21, 2008, 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to change my oil sump strainer

Well I got mine loose with the screwdriver method in the picture from jimmer.Thanks. unfortunatly I used sealer before I read the text from 5twin. When I was a auto tech years ago we seldom used sealer. Thats what the gasket is for. Should have stuck to what a know. I used a brass wire wheel on the engine and my bench wire wheel for the cover.(one thing I remembered from auto tech days, saves alot of time)
nokitov

PostPosted: December 21, 2008, 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to change my oil sump strainer

Romer wrote:
Well I got mine loose with the screwdriver method in the picture from jimmer.Thanks. unfortunatly I used sealer before I read the text from 5twin. When I was a auto tech years ago we seldom used sealer. Thats what the gasket is for. Should have stuck to what a know. I used a brass wire wheel on the engine and my bench wire wheel for the cover.(one thing I remembered from auto tech days, saves alot of time)
You're braver than me or smarter. I wanted to wire wheel the engine but was paranoid about getting debris inside the engine. I picked two pieces of steel wire off my cheeks today from wire brushing my rusty kick stand, brake pedal, and exhauste pipe/muffler.

Romer

PostPosted: December 22, 2008, 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to change my oil sump strainer

I put a shop rag in the engine case while i cleaned it. After I finished I sprayed WD-40 inside to wash it out. Brass wheel on a low rpm drill is usually safe. As far as being brave or smart......well my wife has an opinion on that. I'll leave it at that:)
woodman

PostPosted: January 26, 2009, 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to change my oil sump strainer

Try a 2x4 up against the edge of it and wacking that with a hammer. I had one on a 76 Kawasaki 900 that I thought the block was going to bust before the pan came off. Spray gasket remover works good, use eye protection or you will wish you had.
xsleo

PostPosted: January 28, 2009, 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to change my oil sump strainer

by the way, nokitov, how was your strainer? the ones from my 75 and 82 both have a big hole. i am adapting my plate to use a spin on oil filter instead of the strainer. i'll try to post a few pics soon.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
woodman

PostPosted: January 28, 2009, 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to change my oil sump strainer

If you have to remove the side stand, put it down and push washers in the spaces in the spring then fold it up and it comes off with a pair of side cutters
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 29, 2009, 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to change my oil sump strainer

put the washers in when the spring is strecthed and fold the stand up and the spring will hold the washers remove the bolt, and the leg and spring are easy to remove togather no need to use pliers

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1