650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Electrical and Lighting > > 1980 xs650 CDI boxes

1980 xs650 CDI boxes
    Forum Index -> Electrical and Lighting
2wheelsmotorcycle

PostPosted: September 30, 2007, 5:14 pm    Post subject: 1980 xs650 CDI boxes

IT SEEMS LIKE most of the 1980 xs650 CDI boxes were a problem....can I substitute another CDI box from say a Honda 750 Interceptor(I presume it has to be the same wattage)and would have to have the same number of wires(6).yOU WOULD HAVE TO figure out the colour coding on the wires. Anybody thing this idea is feasable.....?
c1skout

PostPosted: October 26, 2008, 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 xs650 CDI boxes

I wired up a Dodge electronic ignition box on my last 80 special. You have to choose if you want it on the tdc or advanced setting though, the yamaha uses 2 pickups and the box switches back and forth dependant on rpm. I wired mine to the advanced pickup and it worked okay, just had to downshift when it started pinging.
xsjohn

PostPosted: October 26, 2008, 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 xs650 CDI boxes

What the hell are you doing...........Only 65 thousand miles on my 80 cdi (tci) box...fix it right or buy some other crap system......and the two coils on the pickup coils are to work the advance in the TCI box correctly giving the correct Yamaha advance curve........read up.....except for retarding the pickup coil a bit off the F mark the original system is right .....messing with this system would be going backwards big time.................

The only thing that I have found is the compression is a bit high on these which makes them run a bit roiugh.......it's not the curve though.......what would I know though.............

xsjohn
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical and Lighting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1