650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > High Performance Modifications > > All the rest > > Finally...

Finally...
    Forum Index -> All the rest
TeeCat

PostPosted: September 21, 2008, 10:06 am    Post subject: Finally...

Well, I am cautiously optimistic that I'm finally getting my bike to the point where I can enjoy it a little this fall without too much issue. I have it starting and re-starting easily, my output shaft seal replacement was successful, my left crank seal replacement seems to have been successful, and I think the residual drooling on the left side might have actually been from a tiny breach in the case seam; I dressed it with Yamabond and have had the bike out for a couple 45-minute jaunts without any apparent leaking. And if it is, my little "bib" that's supposed to shunt the bit of oil into one of my breather filters seems to be working, and the filter's not smoking at all any more.

Also, my clutch seems to be working well... just a bit of adjustment at the bar needed, maybe. It does not seem to be dragging and shifts nicely, and I can find neutral with relative ease, even hot.

I even started to put away some of my tools yesterday, in hope that I might not have to go into the left side again any time soon. Maybe I'll be able to turn my attention to some little electrical issues this winter. And I want new tires... and... I'd like to get my tank cleaned and kremed... and...

Where would I be without this forum? Rolling Eyes

TC
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 21, 2008, 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Finally...

unless your tank leaks why would you want to kreem it? (BTW use Por15 Kreem is a lot harder to apply correctly) do the electrolysis method (search this forum to find info on it) and then you don't have the problem of that coating coming loose in your tank
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: September 21, 2008, 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Finally...

Nice one TC, hope the Gremlins stay away, nasty little critters!
Time for a nice long ride and kick back.
I went on a 1200 km ride last weekend with 23 other twin souls(on the TRX 850). Camped at a mates on the Saturday night for a cracker piss up, 2 kegs of beer, 2 bands, 2 cylinders, too much! Mr. Green
Was the bigest run I'd done for a fair while, was awesome to just be out there doing it!!!! Is good to be King, welcome back to your kingdom TC, enjoy Wink

TeeCat

PostPosted: September 21, 2008, 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Finally...

Thanks for the support, guys! Smile And ym... glad you had such a great time! I don't even have the confidence in my bike yet to take it to work, 20 miles each way.

I still have a very slow oil dribble on the left side. I know it's not the crank seal, and the only other possibility is a little breach in the case joint. But now the only evidence of it is a slight migration of oil across the case cover Felpro gasket at the bottom of the cover. I'm not sure if there's a material that won't allow that migration.

But... it's not like it was, largely due to a new seal and my little "bib". At the moment I seem to find just a tad of oil on my sidestand after it sits overnight. Might just have to keep that area clean. At this juncture, I suppose it just boils down to how neurotic I want to be about it. If I weren't so fussy, it wouldn't be an issue. Sad

TC
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> All the rest All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1