650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > Leak from muffler and popping at low rpm's.

Leak from muffler and popping at low rpm's.
    Forum Index -> Fuel
dustin.kerber

PostPosted: June 17, 2006, 11:54 pm    Post subject: Leak from muffler and popping at low rpm's.

Ok, so I finally had my bike running... "had" it running...

I went for a ride of about 14 miles, then got home and decided to adjust my carbs. I followed the service manual and pulled the plug cap off my left cyclinder so I could adjust my right. It died as I was doing this and since it was late in the day I figured I would just continue in the morning.

I went out in the morning, attached both plug caps and fired it up, only to be greeted with a popping in my right cyclinder. I reved the motor and it would pop untill I got to high rpm's, but as soon as I backed off it would start popping again. I was also building up a nice cloud of very strong smoke. I gave up for the time, and after a few minutes, noticed a few black drips on the cement where it had dripped off the joint where the muffler attaches to the pipes. Thinking it would be oil, I checked where the engine was dripping onto the muffler, but found no spot; the engine was dry. The liquid, although black, was thin and smelled like gas.

Now the questions. Is the right side flooding and the liquid is just gas that is being pulled down into the muffler, getting black from carbon deposits? The smoke coming from my right muffler is just smoke from the flooded cylinder finally catching, right? I pulled my plug and it was wet. Is this just gas from it being flooded?

I just rebuilt my carbs and it ran well the 14 mile trip before the probems. What do you think my issue is? Thanks guys, you are my 650 guru heros!
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 18, 2006, 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Leak from muffler and popping at low rpm's.

YOU'VE PROBABLY FOULED A PLUG try switching them or put in different ones - you probably need to clean the carbs again and check float level what year/model is this? TCI or points ignition?
Wulf

PostPosted: June 18, 2006, 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Leak from muffler and popping at low rpm's.

Sounds like you're definately dumping too much fuel. You probably have fouled the plug so go down to the autoparts store and pick up a couple more and start over.
Wulf

dustin.kerber

PostPosted: June 18, 2006, 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Leak from muffler and popping at low rpm's.

i have tried 3 plugs.... when i test the plug against the engine, it works fine. I have only put 14 miles since i rebuit the carbs, but i am still going to go into it and check my different settings.... but thanks for verifying that its flooding
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: June 18, 2006, 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Leak from muffler and popping at low rpm's.

Be sure float level's right and float valve's shutting off, air intake's unobstructed (good filters and no blockage), pilot jet's seated firmly, and that the 2 little holes in the air intake bell that supply air to the pilot circuit when the slide is down are clear.

PostPosted: July 11, 2006, 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Leak from muffler and popping at low rpm's.

In the right side carbuetator, on the ceiling metal on top of the float bowl, there was a hole plugged with a copper plug. It looks like the plug had falled out and was sitting in the bottom of the bowl. I put the plug back in place, gave it a good tap with a hammer and screwdriver, and now it runs great.
Photo Gallery
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 11, 2006, 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Leak from muffler and popping at low rpm's.

dustin.kerber wrote:
gave it a good tap with a hammer

That's Harley tool #1, not a hammer.

Went to my Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki megadealer tonight and was amazed that there are only 2 types of street bikes. Ricer racers and H-D v twin wannabes. There was absolutely nothing there I wanted to ride let again own. But then again I'm old.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1