650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > help! valve clearances-stuck in philippines wit no info!

help! valve clearances-stuck in philippines wit no info!
    Forum Index -> Fuel
philby

PostPosted: May 30, 2006, 7:19 am    Post subject: help! valve clearances-stuck in philippines wit no info!

Embarassed i should remember this from my youth when i last owned an xs about 14yrs ago! tomorrow i buy an xs650 here in the philippines. dont know what model but it has a starter motor! rego papers say its a 98 but they also say its a single cyl!-hey this is th philippines! i paid $2100us for it.a tidy unit but some minor things to fix.& u cant get parts here. so excited! tomorrow we get to cruise in style to the village-2hr trip. but would love to set th tappets first so hopefully someone can help me out wit clearances...thanks!
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: May 30, 2006, 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: help! valve clearances-stuck in philippines wit no info!

.003" intake and .006" exhaust will work for any year, assuming a stock cam.

PostPosted: May 30, 2006, 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: help! valve clearances-stuck in philippines wit no info!

Congrats,

I like to set the exhaust at .005" . This prevents the engine from the normal slow to idol reaction when you decellerate. I suggest you try the .003 and .006 at first but if your engine has a slow response in the down direction, try the exhaust at .005".

Remember to set the valve clearances when the engine is cold. "Not run for several hours". I prefer over night.

Happy riding,
Bob
Photo Gallery
philby

PostPosted: May 31, 2006, 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: help! valve clearances-stuck in philippines wit no info!

thanks guys... ill set them in the morning when we transfer rego and do the deal....cant wait... just got the slippery clutch to contend with now...the dickheads ran ordinary engine oil in the bike and im sure its glazed th plates. dropped oil today and replaced wit castrol 4t m/c oil. only one available here....

IT'S ALL GOOD BABY!....

IT'S ALL GOOD!
Photo Gallery
Wulf

PostPosted: June 1, 2006, 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: help! valve clearances-stuck in philippines wit no info!

Damn, a '98 XS, I'd like to see that, and a one lunger too. Probably the 1000cc version only sold overseas. Btw. Welcome aboard.
Wulf

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1