650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Electrical and Lighting > > regulator help

regulator help
    Forum Index -> Electrical and Lighting
Bmtt

PostPosted: May 10, 2008, 10:15 pm    Post subject: regulator help

Is there some way to test a regulator to see if its good and should i be getting 12 volts out of the brown wire, because I'm only getting 10.

Its a 78 special

Please help!
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 10, 2008, 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: regulator help

Just put your voltmeter across the battery terminals. With bike off will have about 12.5 volts. Start bike, will have about 13.5 at idle. Rev engine to 2500 RPM, shoud have about 14.5 volts if regulator is working.l
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 10, 2008, 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: regulator help

mechcanical regulator, use a Ohm meter to test black wire to ground should read 0 (no connection) then brown to green 0 (with points of reg. in normal posistion (center touching top contact) (center and top closed) with center contact not touching either contact 9 - 10 ohm, when center contact touchs bottom contact 7- 8 ohms, then brown to black with center contact in normal posistion (touching top contact) 36 - 38 ohms
Bmtt

PostPosted: May 10, 2008, 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: regulator help

jayel wrote:
mechcanical regulator, use a Ohm meter to test black wire to ground should read 0 (no connection) then brown to green 0 (with points of reg. in normal posistion (center touching top contact) (center and top closed) with center contact not touching either contact 9 - 10 ohm, when center contact touchs bottom contact 7- 8 ohms, then brown to black with center contact in normal posistion (touching top contact) 36 - 38 ohms

Thanks Retiredgentleman and jayel

Does the regulator need to be plugged in the the bike to do the ohm test?
dpmphoto

PostPosted: June 6, 2008, 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: regulator help

actually unplug it
billysiddle

PostPosted: December 24, 2009, 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: regulator help

Bmtt wrote:
Is there some way to test a regulator to see if its good and should i be getting 12 volts out of the brown wire, because I'm only getting 10.

Its a 78 special

Please help!

Sorry im not able to help you ... Even one of my friend facing the same problem .. still now she didn't find the solution ........

ladder towel rail
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 24, 2009, 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: regulator help

there is info in the Vault forum that explain all about the charging system, how to test and what results to expect
xsleo

PostPosted: December 27, 2009, 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: regulator help

The Clymer book explains the testing on the mechanical regulator very well, has pics too.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: December 27, 2009, 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: regulator help

Replacing your mechanical regulator with a solid state unit will be an easy upgrade.
A Chrysler regulator from the mid 70's to 80's can be bought from most any parts store most anywhere. Prices start at about $13, go up from there. I got one for $13.99 at Advanced Auto.
After you do this the voltage at the battery will be just right.
On my 75 I get 12.5 at idle, goes to 14.5 just of idle, maybe 1800 rmp. Never goes over 14.5 volts.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical and Lighting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1