650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Frames > > Swing Arm Bushings

Swing Arm Bushings
    Forum Index -> Frames
turk64

PostPosted: May 3, 2006, 7:46 am    Post subject: Swing Arm Bushings

Does anyone have an idea of how to remove the plastic bushings from the swing arm? I have soaked them with PB penetrating oil, and when I use a punch to drive them out they just mush. I was thinking of using a hacksaw blade and trying to cut them out but if someone has a better idea please fill me in.
Photo Gallery
hardline42

PostPosted: May 3, 2006, 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Swing Arm Bushings

I think in another thread someone mentioned using a torch to burn them so they shrivel up and fall out. Might wanna double check first.
Phred

PostPosted: May 4, 2006, 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Swing Arm Bushings

The torch will work. Clean as much grease out as possible and keep a fire extinguisher handy. You will likely have to touch up the paint after. If you want to try pulling them out first, try prying them away from the tube with a punch, screwdriver, etc.-enough to get hold with pliers (needle-nose vice grips might be ideal). They may tear apart and come out in pieces, but you arent re-using them anyway.
Photo Gallery
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: May 4, 2006, 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Swing Arm Bushings

I guess I was lucky as mine came out without to much persuasion from a "BFH" and a long punch. Just make sure however you remove them you don't mess up the inside of the swingarm because it will make it more difficult getting the new brass ones in. For installing I heated my swingarm in the oven at 250 Deg. and put the bushings in the freezer for a bit. It helps by providing a little more clearence to get them in.
Photo Gallery
turk64

PostPosted: May 4, 2006, 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Swing Arm Bushings

I had a feeling that it was not going to be pretty to get the new ones back in. I haven't had time to get back to the project but i plan on in tonight. I like the idea of the swing arm in the oven but I have a feeling that my girlfriend won't appreciate it that much. If they can't be persuaded with the bfh I think I will torch the arm and go with the frozen bushing. Pretty great idea, a use of science! Maybe I should change the name of the garage to the lab? I am looking forward to banging the s*** out of something after work.

For the removal I did do a test cut and then accross from it another, I am thinking that if I can get a punch or screwdriver at the seam of the arm tube and the bushing wall I can take them out in big chuncks.
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: May 4, 2006, 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Swing Arm Bushings

Easy on the BFH; you don't want to deform those bushings. Another method is to run a threaded rod down the middle with washers and nuts on the ends and press 'em in one side at a time. Be sure the seats are clean and use plenty of grease.

PostPosted: May 4, 2006, 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Arm Bushings

I don't know if I would recommend heating the swing after placing the bronze bushings in a deep freeze as they'll just absorb the heat and you've lost the advantage of the shrinking the bushing for the intended purpose of easy installment. Use either a press or the method Griz speaks of but in most cases these bronze bushings will distort from installment so be prepaired to hone them out for proper fitting,which is why I went to a needle bearing cage arrangement by purchasing a Radian swing arm...............Jack
Phred

PostPosted: May 4, 2006, 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Arm Bushings

Just about any bushing could be replaced with bearings, if you want to put a bit of time in it. Most big cities have at least one bearing supply house, and they can look up a bearing to fit if you have the dimensions-i.e. inside and outside diameters, width of bearing, and can tell them what it will be used for (a good sales rep can then guesstimate the "load" that will be placed on the bearing). I haven't looked into it, but would be surprised if no bearings can be bought "off the shelf" to fit.
Photo Gallery
Jack

PostPosted: May 5, 2006, 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Swing Arm Bushings

Not all bushing are applicable to be converted over to any type of bearing regardless of the object in question.Being in my occupation for the last 28 years has tought me that...........Jack
turk64

PostPosted: May 5, 2006, 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Swing Arm Bushings

While I am sure that there are bearings available, due to the limited amount of travel that the pivot encounters a bushing would be best suited here.

Anyhow the job is done. here is how it went.

First I looked at the articles. I wanted to stay away from heat of any kind. Beside the obvoius fire hazzard I didn't want to weaken the metal or repaint. This bike is not pretty and I don't see a need to start now.

I liked the idea of using the threaded bolt, but I didn't have one. When I worked in a bicycle shop we used an device simular to that called a headset press, it is made by Park. If someone wants to use the press idea I would recommend using that.

So I went with the BFH. I set up the swing arm in my bench vise, it is a barrel type so I could swing it straight up and down and mounted the arm vertically. I used gentle taps with the hammer to set the bushing in the tube and then used a block of wood inbetween the hammer and bushing and beat the crap out of it. I repeated for the other side.

Oh yea, lots of lube is always a good thing.

I did take some photos and i will update the post with them.

After all the parts were back on I quit for the night, took a test ride this morning and then rode to work. Let me tell you it made a huge difference!
Photo Gallery
Phred

PostPosted: May 5, 2006, 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Arm Bushings

I guess I should have been more specific. Most bushings *can* be replaced by bearings. No doubt there. However, you are absolutely correct that not all SHOULD be. You had commented that you had changed swingarms to allow bearings, thus my comment. I also had stated that the bearing supplier should be able to tell you what to use for the application. If tiny, fragile needles are all that will fit, they should tell you that they wouldn't hold up. I wasn't trying to state that bearings would be best for this application-it's not really my area of expertise. Sorry if I gave the impression otherwise....

As for bushings, I have read about race car suspensions using "nyliner" bushings very successfully. These are brass bushings with a nylon or teflon sleeve that give the rigidity (no flex or "mush") of solid bushings, while allowing for smooth rotation like a bearing. The book I read recommending them suggested installing them with zerk fittings and using a non-petroleum (i.e.-non-plastic softening) grease. The author was using them on suspension a-arms, among other things, so they should certainly take the load of a swingarm. These are available from MSC and other machine shop suppliers.

Photo Gallery
XSAndy
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 2, 2007, 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Arm Bushings

Has anyone actually tried roasting the plastic bushings out or is it still all theoretical at this stage. I've got the same trouble and mine are brittle almost like bakerlite. Tried the hacksaw approach but it looks like the genius that put them in my have used some sort of glue too. That leaves me with one option. Not worried about the paint as its about to be repainted. Would love to hear from someone that has actually used a torch successfully. Thanks Shocked
bandito

PostPosted: December 4, 2009, 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Arm Bushings

I hate to bump a really old thread, but I had the same problem.

My OEM plastic bushings were NOT coming out with any amount
of persuasion, dremel, pick, plier, vise grip, or a trillion cans of
pb blaster.

The method to get these out is by propane torch. It took me
about 15 minutes per side to roast them crispy, scrape the
ends off with a chisel, then roast them on the inside to get them
to shrink enough that they could be tapped out with a punch
and then pulled them out easily with pliers.

For a moment there I thought I was going to have a hardtail
on my hands.

Thanks for the old thread as an idea, and yes, it works... you
can torch them out quite easily. Be aware of the fumes, they
are noxious at first and very powerful.

Jay.
Joseph

PostPosted: December 4, 2009, 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Arm Bushings

I also used a torch to get my stock bushings out, worked fine. It was one of the first things I did, the bike had about 8k miles and they looked good, so If I had it to do again(which I hope to soon I am just looking for someone with a vehicle to pick up my project bike ) I'd have done some tests to see if the swing arm was loose and if it needed new bushings. They were tougher going in than I excpected also.
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: December 5, 2009, 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Swing Arm Bushings

It may be a tough job, but well worth it. The new bronze bushings improve the handling tremendously.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Frames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1