650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > First to Neutral

First to Neutral
Go to page Previous  1, 2
    Forum Index -> Drive
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 21, 2008, 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: First to Neutral

that was the years they used those big 1" bars roy since the cable pulls more the throttle opened quicker I guess
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 21, 2008, 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: First to Neutral

You guys better be careful or you are going to all be working in a Harley Shop......carma you know.......I hate dopers and I am starrng at their favoriate items half the time....maybe I should just jam one in my arm and get it over with........and the earth is flat so get off the 360 degree thing......ah it's starting to take effect....it works roy.......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 21, 2008, 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: First to Neutral

worked in one almost 20 years john, anyone who thinks a 650 is fast never meet a well tuned xlch, stock to stock ain't no subsitute for cubic inches but more cubic inches -- gotta go pee on my yamaha front wheel
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 21, 2008, 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: First to Neutral

Was thinking the same thing after all the coffee......but it may be on the tranny area.....xsjohn
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: April 21, 2008, 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: First to Neutral

put the 74 results up your xlch pipes and smoke it. They must of not known how to tune those factory pro teams1974 NATIONAL
Date Location Winner Mach.
10-Mar Daytona Beach, FL Giacomo Agostini, Italy Yamaha
2-Jun Gainesville, GA Kenny Roberts, Modesto, CA Yamaha
17-Jun Loudon, NH Gary Nixon, Cockeysville, MD Suzuki
28-Jul Monterey, CA Kenny Roberts, Modesto, CA Yamaha
1-Sep Talladega, AL Kenny Roberts, Modesto, CA Yamaha
6-Oct Ontario, CA Gene Romero, San Luis Obispo, CA Yamaha

royfisk

PostPosted: April 21, 2008, 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: First to Neutral

uh whats that yamaha 5
suzuki 1
how many for the great american freedom machine? Whats that a big fat zero???? Hmm whos bsing who here/

xsjohn

PostPosted: April 21, 2008, 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: First to Neutral

Ok.....what ever happened to this Harley 1978.........

xsjohn

harley scrambler.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.21 KB
 Viewed:  72 Time(s)

harley scrambler.jpg

Photo Gallery
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: April 21, 2008, 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: First to Neutral

My stock 77 XLCH would easily beat my stock 79 XS650 that I owned at the same time way back in 1980. I ran the hell out the Sportster without any major problems.

I also had an 87 Heritage Softail that had about 65,000 trouble free miles on it when I sold it. I had built the engine to 96 CI, rode it coast to coast, border to border pulling a trailer, tons of holeshots, wheelies etc. without anything other than a couple batteries, tires and one clutch cable.

My 60 Pan was another story. Once I got it all right it was reliable machine for it's time. Took a few 1000 miles trips on her and made it back home.

All this HD, or any manufacturer, bashing is a bunch childish bullshit. I think I'll move on to another forum. Thanks for all the help you guys have provided.

Photo Gallery
Cooltouch

PostPosted: April 21, 2008, 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: First to Neutral

mo650chopper wrote:
All this HD, or any manufacturer, bashing is a bunch childish bullshit. I think I'll move on to another forum. Thanks for all the help you guys have provided.

I don't bash Harleys. Hell, I own one, why would I? But it seems that there are way too many Harley riders who bash other bikes -- all other bikes -- and they do so out of pure ignorance.

Best,

Michael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 21, 2008, 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: First to Neutral

Mo.....Bashing seems to be at an all time high around here........And now that I have to take mine apart for 5th gear I hate all motorcycles.......guess I will get over it after some time Huffin Motors .........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 21, 2008, 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: First to Neutral

"Ok.....what ever happened to this Harley 1978" try Marty Tripes
I've own H-D's Honda's Yam's Suzi's and Kaw's they're all different and all good in different ways just depends what you want to do with them

xsjohn

PostPosted: April 21, 2008, 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: First to Neutral

Or what every you are lucky enough to have at the moment.........and it doesn't take long to find their weak points.......just have to fix them till another situation rears it ugly neck............xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 21, 2008, 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: First to Neutral

Real happy with my XS but took a 1200 sportster out last summer.............well all I can say is that torque could become addictive. John you're just going to have to flip that motor and get at that broken gear.
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 21, 2008, 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: First to Neutral

Read ya.......Got a bunch of kids to do the fun part......a while back someone stopped me and asked if I wanted a motor.......glad I said yes.....it was a 79 and 78-84 is the only trans I can use supposidly.....don't really need mikes 5th with 18/29......although it is 5th that hosed....the little devil.......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: April 21, 2008, 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: First to Neutral

seems like now is the time to do that john. Better to fix that then buy a vacumecleaner
bulldog1980
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 22, 2008, 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: First to Neutral

John... thank you for your tip on quicker throttle response.... roy I agree and disagree with you... Agree with the racing facts and money... My brother bought one paid like 20 grand for the damn thing now he trying to get rid of it because the payments are to much (under a year) and Harley won't help him... However.. you have to understand its and image thing pure and simple.. my pops bought a Victory Kingpin.. loves it... my brother asks why no Harley my dad says this " Why buy Harley I bought American with the Victory and love it..."

PostPosted: April 22, 2008, 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: First to Neutral

Bulldog........Just be careful bending the throttle arm.....broke 1 before I learned to heat it.......and if you change it too many times it can break......spose some braze can fix anything.......you can make that throttle quick as hell if overdone...kinda like just thinking about going and your are gone......

And re-align the throttle cable perch so it's centered.......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: April 22, 2008, 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: First to Neutral

bulldog; In all honesty I like old harleys. I like pans and flatheads. I have been through more bs with harley riders over riding a jap bike that every time i get to push around a harley rider i will, besides this is a 650 YAMAHA site not a harley site. And again in all honesty it really isnt the bike, its the company itself. But on the racing end these guys dont know. compareing a xlch to a stock xs-650. Back then superbikes were limitted to 750cc. henceing harley to produce a xr750, not just for flat tracking but for road raceing too. Yamaha had to up there little 650 to 750 cc. both bikes running roadrace cams and exhausts, some differant carbs etc. AND A XR750 will kick any ironhead 1000's ass, unless it is stroked on a drag strip. But on a twisty stretch of pavement no xlch will touch either of the above factory bikes. There not designed for handleing. completely differant frames etc. It was the best that millwaukee had. Harley use to wear the number one plate and wear it with pride. Then they just rolled over and played dead because of the little jap bike that could.
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 22, 2008, 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: First to Neutral

I used to read Easy Riders magazine back in the days when it was still an intelligent, witty, informative and entertaining magazine. Then they sold out to the Harley Davidson Motor Company and started working to organize Harley riders, get 'em to lobby Congress to slap big tariffs on Japanese machinery.

Congress, as many already know, is eager to slap a tax on anything. And so, when the new Gold Wing came out in 1976, I could buy one for $1800 at the dealership in Walla Walla, where I saw the first one on the floor. By the time Easy Riders and the Harley clowns got done, A new Gold Wing cost $6,000.

Of course the Harley-Davidson Motor Company quickly took advantage of the chance to raise their own prices, and the higher Harley raised their prices the higher the Japs were able to raise theirs. Today a new Fat Bob costs -- what? -- $20 grand? -- maybe $25 grand for a nice one like you'd want? And new Gold Wings -- I no longer have any idea what new Wings sell for. I don't even look at Wings any more because I don't consider them motorcycles.

But my point is that it's the Harley crowd who were responsible for running the price up on Japanese motorcycles. The irony is that most traditional Harley riders -- that is REAL riders who aren't yuppie wannabes -- can no longer afford new Milwaukee iron, either. Of course, the old hot-shoe Harley crowd never bought new motorcycles anyway. They most always built their own -- or stole them.

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2