650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > Here it is now with the seat!!!

Here it is now with the seat!!!
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
NateDogg

PostPosted: March 30, 2008, 8:20 pm    Post subject: Here it is now with the seat!!!

Out in the light of day today with her new seat.....I'm going to be swinging by my friends shop this coming week to discuss hard-tailing it.......went for a short ride today....so far so good.

s4021611.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.82 KB
 Viewed:  209 Time(s)

s4021611.jpg

s4021609.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  49.37 KB
 Viewed:  293 Time(s)

s4021609.jpg

s4021608.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  41.79 KB
 Viewed:  264 Time(s)

s4021608.jpg

jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 30, 2008, 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Here it is now with the seat!!!

get a couple pieces of flat steel about 3/8 drill them and replace your shocks then go for a ride, see if you like a butt buster
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: March 30, 2008, 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Here it is now with the seat!!!

I agree with Jayel try riding awhile with some struts before you go with the hardtail option.
Photo Gallery
nj1639

PostPosted: March 30, 2008, 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Here it is now with the seat!!!

Looks good the way it is, maybe some shorter shocks?
Second thought, that's about all the clearance you got there with those. Looks good.

oldskoolcool

PostPosted: March 30, 2008, 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Here it is now with the seat!!!

i don't find hardtail bad at all. not near as bad as everyone says.
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 30, 2008, 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Here it is now with the seat!!!

If you go back to the old days of the original bobbers, nobody who bobbed a swing arm bike ever removed the shocks. Short shocks were often run, (the springs were cut) but if you had a swing arm bike, you ran a swing arm bike. After years of rigid frames people were exceedingly happy to have shocks under their butts. The hardtail fad really bagan with the introduction of the 60s era choppers.
If your bike was a rigid frame to begin with, then running a rigid bobber is cool, but if you ride a bike with shocks, leave them on when you bob it.
Of course.....the opinions expressed in this message are solely my own and not intended to try to tell someone else how to build their bike. If its cool to you, then it impresses the only person it needs to impress!

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
Photo Gallery
georelle

PostPosted: March 31, 2008, 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Here it is now with the seat!!!

hey it looks good. If you decide not to hard tail consider maybe moving the top shock mounts ahead. I am pretty much in agreement with Drifter. How does it ride without the front fender? I am going to try mine without the fender.
'02 Suzuki VZ800
'78 Honda CM185T
Photo Gallery
NateDogg

PostPosted: March 31, 2008, 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Here it is now with the seat!!!

Thanks for the opinions ....I'm really on the fence about the hardtail because they all seem to look exactly the same....I think I am going to investigate reqorking the frame a little in the Bratstyle vain.....those are the shortest shocks I could find, they're off a save and measure 10.5 eye to eye. They are very, very stiff. I don't know if it's the spring rate or if they're just crusty old shocks. As for the no front fender, I don't run a front fender on my cafe bike either and there is a noticable difference in stiffness, I'm going to be putting a fork brace on it just because I really don't like front fenders. It's not as noticable on this bike because the geometry is slightly different. try it both ways and see what you like. I've also since done some budget polishing after I took those pics and am really impressed with the results. I'll put a couple pics up of the new bling!
Finksies

PostPosted: March 31, 2008, 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Here it is now with the seat!!!

I think it looks cool with the shocks. Maybe moving the top tabs a bit forward would make the bike sit lower and give it a more bad ass stance. If u add pods u might be able to hack out a little more. If u mess it up there is always the option to hard tail it. Looks cool the way it, good luck.
NateDogg

PostPosted: March 31, 2008, 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Here it is now with the seat!!!

Funny you say that, when I first did it I came very close to just drilling through the very corner of the top shock gussets and bolting them there to allow me to cut some more frame off......
georelle

PostPosted: March 31, 2008, 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Here it is now with the seat!!!

NateDogg
I was a little worried about the fork stiffness too. I will be using the center fender mount to hopefully stiffen it up. I cut the rivets off and separated it from the fender, which is now my rear fender. It is being powder coated now. I hope that is enough to stiffen it up. It should be about the same as the fender itself. I am not sure how the fork brace would look on my bike.

Thanks for the info.
Georelle

'02 Suzuki VZ800
'78 Honda CM185T
Photo Gallery
NateDogg

PostPosted: March 31, 2008, 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Here it is now with the seat!!!

Yeah, that should work, I don't like that one on mikes with the two big loops.....there are some stright billet looking ones that are pretty cool but they're $$$$
74yamabob

PostPosted: March 31, 2008, 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Here it is now with the seat!!!

I'm not running a front fender and the ride really isn't that bad. On the shock issue the Shocks for a Honda Rebel will fit and I thinkl are 10.5 in from end to end or you could always strech your swing arm.
Photo Gallery
NateDogg

PostPosted: April 1, 2008, 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Here it is now with the seat!!!

Yeah, my shocks are off a savage and they're 10.5", I'm gonna move the upper mounts this weekend and chop another couple inches of the frame and see what happens....if I'm not feeling the lines at that point I'll start planning for the next step. I think the stretched swingarms just look retarded and I don't really dig the common hardtails on xs650s that all seem to look the same, especially with that big void, or stretched with a long ass chain....we'll see what happens. If I go hardtail my savage shocks will be up for grabs!!!

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1