650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > High Performance Modifications > > All the rest > > Bar-end mirrors...

Bar-end mirrors...
    Forum Index -> All the rest
TeeCat

PostPosted: January 30, 2008, 11:38 am    Post subject: Bar-end mirrors...

I'd like to consider bar-ends for my bike to suggest a cafe sort of look, even though I have Daytona bars. I'd like to keep my stock grips, though. I was looking at these:

They seem to insert into the bar with an expander. Would installation be as simple as reeming out the very end of my grips and then inserting the mirror fixture? Might be the solution to my mirror search.

TC
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: January 30, 2008, 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bar-end mirrors...

Yes, cut the end of the grip off and insert into bar end. I wouldn't recommend those mirrors, though. They're the cheap ones and vibrate a lot. About the best I've found vibration-wise are genuine Napoleons.

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotor...0018582054

They mount with a rubber expanding sleeve rather than that steel one. You may be able to make the cheap ones more vibration proof by using a rubber expander plug in place of the suppied metal one but the overall quality of the mirrors is still not that good. There is a new style that's all over eBay now but I've never tried them. They look nice and claim to be vibration resistant but who knows. Since I've tried the type you linked to and know they're not very good, for about the same money, I think I'd give these new ones a try.

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotor...0018427684
TeeCat

PostPosted: January 30, 2008, 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bar-end mirrors...

twins, thank you! Smile I'll just go with the Naps, I think. I want to do this right. They'll look excellent on my bike! Might order them when I get home from work!

Oh, I was wondering why some guys prefer to run only a left mirror.

Btw... did you see that I got her registered now? Historic plates, too! Smile Thanks for all your help thus far, sir! Smile

TC
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: January 30, 2008, 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bar-end mirrors...

I think you'll like them. They also have a ratcheting feature so that if the bike falls over, they (should) ratchet out of the way and not break off. About the only better one I've found are the German made Alberts but they're very expensive, if you can even find them.
TeeCat

PostPosted: January 30, 2008, 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bar-end mirrors...

Thank you, sir!

I went with the Naps. I stopped by my local M/C shop and ordered them. My mate there gave me a little break on the price and I'm not paying shipping, so I should have them in about a week or less.

I'll have to experiment with which way to mount them. I like the look of running them underneath the bars, but we'll have to see what the clearances are like. It will be neat to have the highest point on the bike be the instruments. I like that cafe sort of profile but am not quite willing to go the clubman route. This will be a nice visual compromise.

TC
Photo Gallery
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 30, 2008, 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bar-end mirrors...

remember they still al vibrate. I have a set of naps. they are better than all I have tried. this is set 3 but. inless you get the buillet clamp on style. I think they run $85 for the set. to much for a mirror.
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: March 1, 2008, 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bar-end mirrors...

I installed my Naps today. I have not tried them yet because it's pretty cold and windy, but i might tomorrow. I'll try to post some pics as well.

I have Daytona bars with the stock tourismo grips, and I removed as little of the end of the grips as possible so that there's little gap between the grips and the mirror mounts. It was tedious on the throttle side because i didn't want my throttle to rub or stick.

I also tried not to overtighten the mirrors at the expanding mount; it's weird because the mirror stalks are evidently designed to rotate up and down around the mounting bolt, so they're really infinitely adjustable.

I wanted to try running them below the bars, but it wasn't working out... just too low. But they still look really good on the high side.

More later...

TC
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: March 3, 2008, 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Bar-end mirrors...

Hi, guys...

I have a question on the Napoleons:

I mounted them, but when I had the bike running yesterday, I noticed that vibration (to be expected) makes the throttle-side mirror want to rotate downward perpendicular to the mounting bolt. I realize that they are friction fitted on the bolt to make them adjustable, but since you can't butt the inside mounting surface tightly up against the grip (the throttle will stick then), how does one keep the mirror from rotating downward? I really don't want to remove too much of the throttle grip.

TC
Photo Gallery
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 3, 2008, 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Bar-end mirrors...

I cut the white plastic throttle sleeve that fits inder the right grip back to just beyond the bar end. I used a hack saw blade and then left the grip to cover the end. workd ok for me with my naps. yes vibration is bad I have heard that th clamp over the bar end mirrors(mostly billet) are the best for lower vibration. they also cost more $60 and up and I don't know that they are actually better.

good luck Kyle
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: March 3, 2008, 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bar-end mirrors...

Move your control assemblies and grips inboard enough so the bar end is flush with the end of the grip. I'm not sure about your older model but on my '78, the end of the plastic throttle sleeve is capped and would need to be cut open, just like the grip end. In my case, I would cut then file the hole big enough so it could slide up onto the bar and rotate without rubbing. Slight rubbing of the grip against the mirror or control assembly is really not a bad thing on these bikes. It gives you a slight drag at very small throttle openings which is handy during cold starts and warm-ups to hold a fast idle. It won't hold the throttle open much past that because the return spring is too strong.
TeeCat

PostPosted: March 3, 2008, 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bar-end mirrors...

Thanks, guys...

5twins: my throttle assy is open at the end. I suppose it would slide right up on the bar a tad if I loosened the retaining bolts.

However, based on what you said about minor throttle grip rubbing (right now there's none), I might just close that gap a tad and see if it helps before I move the assy up on the bar. If it's still an issue, I'll move it. It never occurred to me that I could move the assy inboard a tad. Sad Doh!

TC
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: March 3, 2008, 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bar-end mirrors...

I've never had a Napoleon vibrate down like that but I always butt them tight to the bar end or grip (on the left side) before I tighten the expanding rubber plug.
TeeCat

PostPosted: March 3, 2008, 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bar-end mirrors...

Well, I moved the throttle assy in about 1/8th inch, and re-installed the mirror. I might have to butt it up a little closer, but I think I'm getting there. Smile

TC
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> All the rest All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1