650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Front / Rear Ends and Shocks > > radian swing arm

radian swing arm
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks
sportydriver

PostPosted: July 18, 2005, 8:00 pm    Post subject: radian swing arm

I've seen people talking about using a radian swing arm on their 650. What mods if any have to be done to accomplish this?
I'm upgrading the front end and I want the back end to perform as well.
soniccbr

PostPosted: April 27, 2006, 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: radian swing arm

I have one for my XS. It was already set up when I got it, and I don't know what year it was, but it does work. I think all you need to do is make and attach shock mounts.
grizld1

PostPosted: April 27, 2006, 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: radian swing arm

I have no direct experience with this mod. but have read about it and spoken to one rider who did it. First off, the Radian swingarm's wider than the XS650 frame. The method followed by the guys I've heard from is to mill the frame to fit. Second, the Radian swingarm's about 60 mm. longer. Without careful thought and changes to the overall geometry (some guys pull the steering head in to reduce rake) that's going to slow down steering quite a bit. It's not a bolt-on job.

You might be surprised at what a pair of modern shocks can do. I run custom 13.25" Works alloy-body shocks in back, an 18" rim in front, Race-Tech emulators and Traxxion Dynamics springs in the forks, with an old Daytona aluminum tweak-bar (standard upgrades in the steering head and swingarm).

PostPosted: April 30, 2006, 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: radian swing arm

Hi i have recently fitted a radian swingarm to my xs650. The only modification you have to make is to replace the rear wheel bearings. Because the radian swingarm is wider at the end you will have to fit the radian rear wheel spindle which is smaller in diameter than the original xs spindle.
Photo Gallery
Jack

PostPosted: April 30, 2006, 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: radian swing arm

Right you are,the only differance is the radian uses a 17mm axle,while ths XS uses a 20mm axle and depending on how much you've shedded weight you can use the 17mm axle but most use the 20mm for added strength. And also the swapping of rims, adds alittle more engineering to factor as I'm using RZ 350 rims on my project and calls for more of an effort in crossing over when machining inside spacers in the hub as I prefer the 17mm axle for unsprung weight lose.............Jack
Wulf

PostPosted: May 15, 2006, 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: radian swing arm

Ok, my first question is WHY? Why use a radian swingarm on an xs? Would you still use the xs's rim or would you use the radian's. Would the radian's sprocket line up? It seems to me that one would want to use the larger axle for strength, since the smaller axle could only save a few grams at most on weight. If you use the smaller axle from the radian and the xs's rim, then what part number would you use for the bearings? I ask all this because I happen to have an 87 Radian out back as we speak. It's in pretty good shape except I need carbs for it, but.... if there is a pretty decent reason for switching, I might be so inclined. Give me a shout. Any pics of such a conversion?
Wulf

rackamongoose

PostPosted: June 4, 2006, 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: radian swing arm

Hi wulf the reasons for fitting a radian swingarm on to the xs650 are 1= better handeling 2= the radian swingarm is alot lighter than the original xs one 3= its an easy conversion & 4= it looks the dogs bollocks that means it looks good here in the UK check my pictures.

rackamongoose
Photo Gallery
Wulf

PostPosted: June 5, 2006, 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: radian swing arm

Dog Bollocks. Hmmmmm.... it looks the dogs balls....hmmmmm. I guess the queens english just lost something in the translation. 'Course, then again I guess when someone over here says (admiring someones bike for example) "Man THAT is the s***!!!!", it probably just doesn't sound right either.
Wulf

Lejusti

PostPosted: August 2, 2006, 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: radian swing arm

So does that extended the bike a bit? or is the arm the same length as a stock xs650?
Jack

PostPosted: August 2, 2006, 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: radian swing arm

The Radian arm extends the wheel base by about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch,if I'm not mistaken,you wanna buy one real cheap?.............Jack
Lejusti

PostPosted: August 2, 2006, 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: radian swing arm

Is it wider then the stock? so like.. maybe a bit wider rear would go on it?

jack - i'm not sure i want to go this route yet, but if i do, i'll holla at you. Laughing
kngbrl

PostPosted: August 3, 2006, 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: radian swing arm

I would be very interested in that swing arm. shoot me an email. Cool
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: January 17, 2007, 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: radian swing arm

So what exactly is a Radian? Confused
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: January 18, 2007, 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: radian swing arm

deleted

Last edited by 5twins on September 13, 2009, 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: January 19, 2007, 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: radian swing arm

Cheers, I guess we'd call it a XJ
ttmaniac

PostPosted: January 19, 2007, 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: radian swing arm

Just saw a radian swingarm go for less than 50 bucks on ebay...it's an interesting and good looking modification...just wondering how it stacks up to the stock arm? Lighter? I know it's longer by 3/4 inch or so......
Photo Gallery
jetmechmarty

PostPosted: January 19, 2007, 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: radian swing arm

I have a Radian swingarm set aside for a future project. It does not appear to be any longer than a stock swingarm. I've looked at the installation on more than 1 bike and I'm told there is no modification to the XS650 frame necessary. It is wider and forces the shocks out just a bit.

The Radian swingarm is not significantly lighter than the stock unit if it is at all. It is steel. It is square tube design. Does that make it stronger?

Another option is the TX750 swingarm. It's heavier tubing and requires no modifications at all. It looks just like the XS650 swingarm and that may make it undesirable.

Marty (in Georgia)
ttmaniac

PostPosted: January 20, 2007, 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: radian swing arm

Thanks for the info bro...if it ain't any lighter I guess I don't see a point in switching it out...I don't think square makes it any stronger but I could be wrong....I suppose that tubing wall thickness plays a part to some degree....it does look good though and at under 50 bucks on ebay a pretty decent deal
Photo Gallery
jetmechmarty

PostPosted: January 25, 2007, 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: radian swing arm

Here's a good alternative and ready to go!
www.thetwinster.com/swingarm.htm

Marty (in Georgia)
gentlemanjim

PostPosted: December 29, 2007, 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: radian swing arm

Why not use the RAdioan rear wheel along with the sewing arm? Sounds like anatural fit.
Photo Gallery
jopower

PostPosted: February 17, 2008, 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: radian swing arm

That Twister arm is gorgeous but surely a bit more than the 100 buck fix some of us might have in mind. Wink So, What about my rear hydraulic brake mounts on any of these arms? Are there lugs for it? Are there any other cycles that have arms to fit a 650?

----------------------------------------------------------------

I've just been on Ebay and found a listing for a Radian swing arm that will fit the SX650. Better look qwick, it's at $103 and 9 hours left. Here's the description:

By seller "slidinleft":
Listing: "radian swingarm YX600,SR,TT,XT500,XS650, FLATTRACK"
Item number: 110223380912

This is a used swingarm off a yamaha radian YX600. Will fit xs650, tt500,xt500,sr500 bolts right in no spacers needed. Looks great on that streetracker or flattrack project. Comes with pivot bolt, chain adjusters, adjuster plates and an axle and chain slider. Bearings are in good condition. I had this on a TT500 I was building but decided to go another way. It will extend the wheelbase over stock on an xs,tt, or xt. Swingarm is in good used shape and all original mounts EXCEPT shockmounts have been removed. Will need to be finished and painted for your needs. Please ask all questions prior to bidding. Thanks Sean.

Here's another link to another one: xs650temp.proboards29....rch=radian +swingarm&match=1&whattosearch=1&user=&board-project= 1&board-framesmain=1&board-Frames=1&board-brake=1&board-photographs= 1&subject=1&message=1&hours=0&days=700&maxresults=10&viewtype=2
ridrnropr

PostPosted: October 2, 2009, 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: radian swing arm

i have a radian arm, milled it out for the axle, welded on a top mount for an arm for the disc brake, ground the chain gaurd mounts off, everything is all cool ( i really like the box tubing and needle bearings fr the pivot)....except the stock xs axle is about .5" to too short! anybody have any ideas of where to get an axle that works with this combo?!
despecial

PostPosted: October 3, 2009, 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: radian swing arm

i have one of these sitting in the shed somewhere just waiting for a project
now if i could just convince them to make a monoshock version

PostPosted: October 3, 2009, 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: radian swing arm

ebay 120476027051

i was supposed to add this to the above so you know what im rabbitting on about

Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2